what's a wine lover to do in france?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am helping someone plan a trip to france, and this particular person is a very avid wine lover. I would love to find him a cool winery-hotel to stay at or a winery tour or something along those lines. The date for the trip has not been set yet, so if you know of any cool wine-related festivals or events that he should consider attending, let me know!!
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 10:58 AM
ira

Hi SR,

>...this particular person is a very avid wine lover.

In which case, he should register here and ask his own questions.

We don't know if he prefers wines from Bordeaux, Burgundy, Alsace, the Loire, etc, etc, etc.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Well this is sort of a surprise so that's not really an option.

He drinks only reds, the bolder the better. I don't know much about his preferences outside of that. I think he would be more interested in going to a particularly cool or unique winery than one in any specific location.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:32 AM

How about Chateauneuf du Pape???? Provence is quite popular

http://tinyurl.com/yukrq4

Stu Dudley
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:49 AM

How much of a true wine lover can he be if he "only" drinks reds? He's missing half the good wines.

Now for some suggestions. Buy him the Eyewitness Guide to French Wine (could be part of your gift). It has loads of photos, an opinionated wine critic, road trips, recommendations and descriptions of all the regions.

I don't know what your budget is, but I can recommend an excellent winery that also has an excellent hotel in Bordeaux (3 hours on the high speed TGV train from Paris). The winery is Smith-Haute-Lafitte and the hotel is Les Sources de Caudalie. The hotel has a spa that uses grape-based treatments. Here's a link:

http://www.slh.com/france/martillac/hotel_marsou.html

In Paris, he'll enjoy stopping by Lavinia. It's a huge wine shop (about the size of an American supermarket) with wines in every price range from less than 10 euros to more than 20 000 euros. It has a wine bar and there are often free tastings late on Saturday afternoon.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:53 AM

French wine is not particularly noted for its boldness, at least compared to Australia, say. But it's still the best in the world, and is made in some of the most scenic places on earth.

The boldest wine in France is probably the inky black stuff they make in Cahors, south of Bordeaux. Not a major tourist destination, though that could be a plus if you want unspoiled countryside and no crowds.

If it was me I'd make a beeline for Domaine Tempier in Bandol, in Provence. The world's best rosé, one of the great reds, and a spectacular Mediterranean setting not far from Marseilles. Bandol is a cute little underappreciated French Riviera seaside town.

Most commenters will disagree with me and send you to Burgundy (bring lots of money), the Rhône valley (where Chateauneuf-du-Pape is, among many other outstanding wine areas, or the Loire, with its great wines and fancy chateaus. All of those areas will have wine tours of every imaginable description available. So will Provence, though you might be on your own in Bandol.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:30 PM

In my experience with my oenophile husband and his friends with a similar passion, they have very marked preferences for wine. So if, for example, you set up a stay in Burgundy, and he's a Bordeaux lover, it might be a less-than-perfect experience.

Does he have a wine cellar, or a collection of wine, that you could peruse to see what he has the most of? Does he buy his wine from any specific store or online site (such as K&L)? If so, you could contact that store for help on what your friend's preferences are.

And if your friend is a very avid wine lover, a general-interest tour or even festival might not be good enough for him. For example, when we went to Tuscany several years ago, my husband visited several very small high-quality wineries where he had a great time talking to the people leading the "tour." These are wineries that probably wouldn't be on the radar screen of most of us. DH chose the wineries, and we asked our hotel to set up the meeting/tours for us.
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 12:39 PM

Get blotto
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 01:41 PM
rex

<<I would love to find him a cool winery-hotel to stay at...>>

Here's an old answer that still fits:

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1269364

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:14 PM

The people in this house, pretty much, only drink red, and we reckon we're not missing much

I have a suggestion as to the area. In the South West of France there is an appellation which is not much known outside the area- Madiran. It was almost extinct 30 years ago when it was rescued by a winemaker called Alain Brumont.

It is a big, bold red. But, in case Kate is right, Madiran has the unique position amongst the French vinyards, that there are two OTHER appellations congrous with it- one for white- Jurancon, and one for rose- Rose de Bearn.

I found this place

http://www.bassibe.fr/dossierSite/aa.html

Or here is another

http://sauvemea.labat.free.fr/
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:31 PM

Book your friend at the Château de Mercuès outside Cahors and just let him wander around the area's innumerable vineyards and dégustation stands.
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:50 PM

Hello Stacy:

As a red wine fan, I can suggest a procedure that I followed a couple of yeas ago with what I considered great results. We booked into the Hotel Burdigala in central Bordeaux after the Fall harvest, when things in the vineyards had calmed down a bit. The Concierge at the hotel arranged individual guided tours and tastings at First Growth vineyards like Lafite, Mouton Rothchild and Chateau Margaux. Needless to say, those were memorable experiences. From the same HQ, we visited St. Emilion for similar tours. I think your friend might enjoy something along these lines. Gradyghost
Old Apr 22nd, 2007, 04:29 PM

stacyreeves,

I still haven't heard where this person is going. he should try to drink the wines of the region, if at all possible. There's so much good wine out there that each region is special.

At a restaurant, I'll order a glass of white and a glass of red, as an aperitif. Invariably, the white wine is set on my wife's side and we have to switch.

The big, bold reds are probably the reason many Bordeaux chateaux are getting to really 'hate' Robert Parker.

My local wine merchant says that he's surprised there hasn't been a 'hit' taken out on RP yet.

My guess is that your friend is a trendy wine drinker and is only drinking what he is being told is the latest and greatest. C'est dommage.
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:21 PM

bookmarking
Old Aug 24th, 2007, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We wine lovers go to one of the many Wine bars that Paris is famous for.
Once we know his prefernce of red wines, we can suggest where to go in France, like going to Gigasdas in Provence.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 07:56 AM

Hi Stacy: you or your friend should contact Duvine Adventures, duvine.com. they have great bike tours in the wine areas of France. My wife and I traveled with them a few years ago. It was fantastic and meet some great people. good luck!
Larry
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A big red.

So far we have a vote for Cahors which can be dry but very unique (terrible english today). Then there is Bordeaux (lots of wine hotels in the haut Medoc or even into the entre-deux-mers (cheaper) then what about the Langedoc roussillon area say a little AC like "la clape" which allows him him to spout his new knowledge.

If he really likes big reds head for Puglia
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Or the Rhône Valley.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Or we could ask stacyreeves what she did last April.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 09:12 AM

We have a wine shop that sells 1000 varitals from around the world.... and belive me wine lovers have very definite palattes and opinions.

We have toured Burgandy, Bordeaux and Provance and all are wonderful.

You don't say how long your time frame is but what about a good train pass and go to two or even more of the very well know region in France.

There are also many many companies that tour areas and of course there are many wine festivals in France. Just google both. Keep in mind that some french wineries will not allow you in the cellar during fermentation.

Check out our site if you like vinorossoidaho.com

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -