what's a mustsee in Germany

Aug 22nd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

what's a mustsee in Germany

Other than Berlin and Dresden - what shouldn't be missed in November. Anyone know what the weather is typically like then?
What hotels do you recommend?
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:04 AM

It's hard to respond to a wide-open question like this without knowing what interests you. Germany is a large country with many attractions, and it's impossible to recommend hotels without knowing what area you want to stay in. More details, please!
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:08 AM

In November Germany is basically chilly, damp (often raining) and dreary. Certainly you wil have some sunny days - but count on a lot of rain.

Agree - without knowing your interests how can we possibly say what would interst you.

(Persoanlly, I don't especially like Berlin - although it has some "must sees" - prefer Munich and the south - as well as the Rhine area.)
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, this is the first time I have ever used this. Prefer art and architecture. Prefer native, comfortable, 3- 4 star hotels centrally located. thanks
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:30 AM

Where are you thinking of going in Germany?
You can also get some great info if you go up to the top here and find "Germany" in the "Search this forum" section.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:36 AM

I would also recommend getting the Fodor guidebook for Germany or the Michelin Green Guide for the country. They will give you a good idea of the principal sights.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:47 AM

hi, I was just in Dresden and wasn't that crazy about it myself, but others like it. I just wouldn't call it a must see, but if you are in that part of the country, I guess it would be. Sounds like you mean East Germany? I really liked Leipzig myself.

Aug 22nd, 2006, 11:52 AM

Rothenburg ob der Tauber perhaps?

Get some Christmas ornaments from Kathe Wolfhart?

I think this question gets the prize for being the most vague
Aug 22nd, 2006, 12:08 PM

I loved Bavaria - Munich and the castles. I loved Berlin. I loved German trains.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 02:03 PM

We lived 6 years in Germany and never ran out of new interesting places to go.

As mentioned above, I would start with a guide. "Michelin Green Guide" has an easy-to-use rating system for sights that makes it a good starting point. "Eyewitness Travel Guides" are filled with pictures to see if those rated sights really appeal to your tastes. I understand that "Fodor's See It Guides" are similar.

You mentioned architecture. I prefer Romansque and Gothic to Baroque. So I would scan the Michelin guide for Romansque and Gothic cathedrals and older castles, as opposed to 17C palaces. I liked Würzburg (Marienberg Festung), Rothenburg and Regensburg (St. Peter's Dom). If you like Baroque or the even more exuberant Rococco, you would want to make other choices like Linderhof, Wieskirche and Ottobeuren in southern Bavaria.

Art is perhaps even more specialized than Architecture. I like many of Riemenschneider's simpler wood carved pieces; others have no use for him. Würzburg and Rothenburg are home to many of his works.

Half the fun is doing the research before getting there. For my money, there is no list of "must see" sights that appeals to everyone.

Good hunting, Gary

Aug 22nd, 2006, 04:59 PM

I think the eyewitness guides are exellent for deciding where to go - the pictures really help in deciding what is most interesting.
Aug 22nd, 2006, 05:10 PM

Today I bought a new Germany guide and spent some time deliberating between the Green Guide and the Eyewitness Guide. My own personal litmus test is to check if some of the lesser known places we've visited made into the guides. Surprisingly, the Eyewitness Guide covered more of those lesser known sights than Michelin Green--and it had the beautiful photos as well. It's a hefty thing, though, not sure I'd want to drag it around in a daypack.
We spent roughly six months in Germany (Nov.-April) and even though it was damp and chilly a lot of days, we still enjoyed it. Many places were quieter than in the summer, touristy months, so visiting these areas was very relaxed. At least you won't have to worry about a heat wave!
Go through a good guide, make a list of your top 10 destinations based on the guides, other resources and your own interests (and budget), then come back for some more concrete advice on itinerary, hotels, restaurants, sights, etc.
Aug 26th, 2006, 12:59 PM

Hello to all,
must see in germany is bavaria, most of the people prefer it for her holiday. Look at the page http://www.bayernreise.eu or at http:www.sehenswerter-bayerischer-wald.de you can see a lot of pictures of the sights from bavaria and especially of the bavarian forrest!
Nice Holiday!