What part of London to stay in???

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 01:47 PM
Carol

What part of London to stay in???

I posted yesterday a question regarding the Rhodes House Hotel and received one so-so response (and based on some gut feelings), I'm thinking of changing our reservations.

Its been about 20 years since we've been to London (my husband and myself), and will only be there for about 1 1/2 days at the end of a two week trip.

We want to spend up to $150 for a hotel room, and would like to be in a lively area of shops, restaurants, etc. as well as close to a tube station. Because we don't have the time, and because we've been to London before, we probably won't take in many of the tourist sights - we just want to feel the flavor of London.

I am really perplexed - can anyone suggest areas in which to stay and maybe some hotels in our price range. I really want our last two nights in Europe to be special.

Thanks!
Carol

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 01:55 PM
Mark

I must admit I have never heard of the Rhodes House hotel, so cannot comment on that. However, I have suggested some good hotels (based on personal experience and recommendations) on my homepage, which is a guide to the best of London. Perhaps one of them will be of use to you? My page is at: http://london.cjb.net if you want to take a look. If you have any questions, I will try and answer them.

Regards,

Mark.

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 03:51 PM
joyce

Carol: It has been a few years, but I really liked the Strand area.. .stayed at Strand Hotel . Near tube station & easy walking to many sites of interest. The hotel was comfortable with nice restaurants. The Savoy was across the street with Trafalgar Sq. & Covent garden nearby, to give you an idea of location. (The hotel may have changed in last few years..Because I enjoyed my stay, I will check it out if I go to London in the future).

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 04:48 PM
s.fowler

I like the British Museum area, but most of the hotels I hae seen there aren't to my liking. In 1991 we stayed at the Bryanston Court Hotel near Marble Arch. It's a Best Western, which means it meets certain criteria. Here's a website for them. http://www.britain.co.uk/pages/B/BRYH7FDa.html
It's 110 pounds now. The rooms aren't special, but if you get a back room above say the 4th floor you do look out over a mews. The hotel public rooms are olad club british and I remember the breakfast as being acceptable.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 08:32 AM
Bill I.

Except for the 1 trip when I stayed with my brother, who was living in a small village outside of London, we have always stayed in the Russell Square/Bloomsbury area, at the Hotel Russell. It is located about 1 1/2 blocks from the Russell Square tube station. As stated previously, this is also near the British Museum. There are some good restaurants in the area. I like the Russell, has good service, nice rooms, convenient, & the restaurant in the hotel is ok. But my wife gets a travel industry discount there, so it is more affordable to stay there. But there are also plenty of other hotels in the area.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 08:56 AM
Susan

Hi Carol. We have been to London 3 times in past 10 years and will be going again in May. Each time we have stayed in a different area and mostly haven't been too impressed with our hotel facilities - rooms usually quite small and expensive. Last time we stayed in Covent Garden area at small hotel - we do know the Strand -it is a huge hotel -certainly in area of shops,restaurants etc. Don't know if you can get a room for under $150. but it is a large, impersonal place. This time we are staying on the south bank area at a fairly new hotel called Travelinn (it is a chain) it comes well recommended by friends who have stayed there this past year. It is only a block or so from Waterloo station (tube stop) and at the bottom of Westminster Bridge which you can walk over and be in the heart of London. All the rooms have ensuite baths and tea/coffee makers and are 60pounds (excellent price) This is just a suggestion but check it out on your map - we think the location is great for the price. You can contact them at 011-44-171-902-1600.
Good luck! Susan