Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What other places in Europe to see after Italy trips? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-other-places-in-europe-to-see-after-italy-trips-846463/)

thefengs Jun 24th, 2010 05:37 AM

What other places in Europe to see after Italy trips?

Our family are looking for great destinations to go in Europe after our wonderful 2-week vacation in Italy last month.(My 3rd trip there.) We were so mesmerized by Italy and almost moved to tears when we saw what this great country has to offer-rich history, culture, art, beautiful and diverse landscape, and yes the friendly people. I am trying to plan our next trip to Europe and hoping that some people that have been to Italy and other countries in Europe will understand what we feel and can suggest some destinations that offer as great experience as Italy. Thank you for any input.

DRJ Jun 24th, 2010 05:44 AM

I suggest Italy. I've been there nineteen times in the past twelve years and will return in the spring. Why go anywhere else?

WWanderer Jun 24th, 2010 05:49 AM

Greece.

Mimar Jun 24th, 2010 05:56 AM

Yes, Greece, or Croatia/Slovenia.

Or maybe for a completely different experience, Germany/Switzerland/Austria.

zeppole Jun 24th, 2010 05:58 AM

I live in Italy, so my suggestion is Spain!

Of course you can come back to Italy over and over -- and even move here! But Spain is also a fantastic European destination, rich with history and mesmerizing sights. The Alhambra, the mosque in Cordoba, Toledo -- and the list goes on and on -- plus the great food of Spain makes it a wonderful place to be.

It is not Italy. The Spanish people have their own complicated culture, history and their own amazing food and wine. The regions of Spain are all different from each other. It has the advantage (over Italy) of a terrific high speed train service and lots of cheap domestic air routes. But another fabulous way to go is rent a car and stay in the historic "paradors" all across the country.

For sheer beauty and food, it is hard to beat Basque country. For historic sights that can you bring you to tears, hard to beat Andalucia. Catalonia is a Mediterranean world unto itself. Madrid has some of Europe's greatest art museums, some of Spain's greatest food (from all regions), and certainly some of Europe's most elegant shopping, Madrid is also a great base for many wonderful day trips -- Toledo, Segovia, etc.

You can combine Madrid with another region of Spain, or two more if you have the time. Or you can head to just one beautiful area. My pick would be Andalucia to see the Alhambra and the mosque of Cordoba.

And -- truth be told -- it is not hard to combine Italy and Spain, with a week in each place. There are overnight ferries and lots of plane flights between the two.

WWanderer Jun 24th, 2010 06:31 AM

Sorry, I'll amplify. The country is stunningly beautiful, the historical sites and antiquities amazing. The islands (except the ones overrun with tourists) are beautiful, laid-back and great fun, the mainland, especially the Peloponnese is awesome. The people are wonderful, very friendly. This is a place I could go back to over and over again.

zeppole Jun 24th, 2010 06:33 AM

And the food is great in Greece, especially if you like fish and vegetables, and the yoghurt is sublime!

StCirq Jun 24th, 2010 06:46 AM

The whole world is filled with wonderful countries that have incredible history, lovely people, amazing food, beautiful sites, etc. I'm not sure what you're after - a country that's as enticing as Italy? Well, France, India, Morocco, Croatia, Greece, Kenya, Switzerland, Spain.....the list is endless. Just pick somewhere and go. It's all good.

mcnyc Jun 24th, 2010 06:52 AM

Just curious, where in Italy have you gone? How have your trips been? (meaning, 2 days in each city, always on the go? or stay in one place?)

As much as I love Italy, I also love going to new places. Greece, Croatia, Slovakia (they better not beat my Italians today!), Austria, Denmark, you name it, I think you'll find it as beautiful and captivating as Italy in its own way.

scatcat Jun 24th, 2010 07:08 AM

Italy is hard to beat, but I also love Germany and Switzerland. And of course the excitement of Paris is hard to resist. I just pick a couple of countries each time, change up the next trip. I will be visiting two new places this September-Croatia and Bosnia. I'm always a little afraid to veer away from my tried and true loves, but we'll see.

WWanderer Jun 24th, 2010 07:27 AM

What month do you like to travel? This makes a difference. If July/August, northern Spain and Portugal for example.

In fact, Portugal! In summer the northern part is absolutely beautiful and not hugely hot. Full of history and culture and beauty.

TPAYT Jun 24th, 2010 07:33 AM

We loved Italy, but France has our heart and we have returned again and again.

krgystn Jun 24th, 2010 07:48 AM

fengs, it is sad when I hear that people always go back the same places, so it is good to hear you attempting to venture out.

I know a couple that goes back to Hawaii every year, same month, same hotel! Others will only go to Europe. But there is a whole world out there to see and experience. Asia, South America, Carribbean, Africa.

That said, Italy is my favorite country, but I would have missed so many other places if I only focused there.

Other great places in Europe (as mentioned above) are France, Greece, Portugal, Spain, Croatia, Montenegro. Or northern Europe for a very different experience.

zeppole Jun 24th, 2010 08:33 AM

Of all the things in the world to be sad about, getting sad about other people's travel plans strikes me as funny!

I wouldn't just pick someplace in the world and go. You might pick someplace dangerous. The state department currently advises this about Americans who might want to just pop into Kenya, as suggested above:

"The U.S. Department of State warns U.S. citizens of the risks of travel to Kenya. U.S. citizens in Kenya and those considering travel to Kenya should evaluate their personal security situation in light of continuing threats from terrorism and the high rate of violent crime. This replaces the Travel Warning of July 24, 2009 to highlight continued security concerns in northeast Kenya near the Somali and Ethiopian borders...

"U.S. citizens in Kenya should be extremely vigilant with regard to their personal security, particularly in public places frequented by foreigners such as clubs, hotels, resorts, upscale shopping centers, restaurants, and places of worship. U.S. should also remain alert in residential areas, at schools, and at outdoor recreational events, and should avoid demonstrations and large crowds."

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_923.html

And don't believe every destination is "all good." There is a regular occurrence of tourists dying using public transport in Morocco (due to accidents). Last year in October, two British retirees were stabbed to death by robbers on the beach in Mombassa, Kenya, and a tourist mother and child were killed this January in a Safari park in Kenya by an aggressive elephant.

So take no-brain advice on the internet for what it's worth. After all, you are paying for this trip, and you don't want to pay with your life.

kfusto Jun 24th, 2010 08:37 AM

I love Italy and have been fortunate to have visited many times. I also very much enjoy Austria and Germany and we are headed there for the 6th time late this year.

We do head to the Caribbean for long weekends a couple of times a year but we save our big vacation (time and budget)for Europe.

I have spent time in France, England, Spain, Switzerland, Turkey and Greece and each has a lot to offer. But of all the countries we have visited, my husband and I both enjoy Italy and Austria the most, followed by Germany.

Next year we will either visit Belgium and the Netherlands or a different part of Italy. Researching that trip now.

Pegontheroad Jun 24th, 2010 08:48 AM

I love Germany, especially the more southern areas. I've spent a good deal of time there, several times spending a month at a Goethe Institute studying German. I like the smaller towns, such as Bamberg, Regensburg, Würzburg, Garmisch--too many to name here. Last year I visited eastern Germany--the former East Germany--and discovered new treasures: Quedlinburg, a World Heritage city, and the Spreewald, a unique and fascinating area.

Marvelous architecture and great cultural offerings.

I also love Austria and Switzerland, both for the cities and for the wonderful Alpine landscape.

Spain is great too. Again, wonderful architecture, interesting landscapes. Spain is just fascinating.

Since I am retired, I'm able to travel whenever I can scrape up the money, so I choose northern countries during warmer months and southern countries when it's getting a little cooler. I wouldn't recommend Italy or Spain during the warmest months, for instance.

tcreath Jun 24th, 2010 08:57 AM

I've loved just about every country I've visited in Europe. They each have their own charm and appeal. I love Italy and have visited three times, but my heart lies in Croatia and/or the Berchtesgaden area of southern Germany. It just depends on what you are looking for. Since you love Italy, maybe you should try someplace different like Germany, Austria or Switzerland.

As far as travel warnings are concerned, maybe I'm in the minority but I take them with a bit of a grain of salt. No, I wouldn't go somewhere with strong warnings, but otherwise I travel and have a good time and use my brain and common sense. I booked my trip to Turkey right after the bombing in Istanbul because the flight prices went down! 9/11 happened right here in NYC, the train bombing in Madrid. Bad things can happen anywhere, at any time. Life's too short to worry about what-ifs.

Tracy

Michel_Paris Jun 24th, 2010 09:10 AM

That being said...tourist are probably killed in every country in the world. A mother and child being killed by an elephant is irrelevant...when it comes to travel plans.

There is a state department advisory about travel to my city (Toronto) because of G20 protestors. I would say...ignore it.

My nephew just came back from being an ESL teacher for a year in Yemen. I can imagine what the state department would have said about that:)

Yes, be aware of the politics of the destination, but keeping things perspective also.

cheryllj Jun 24th, 2010 09:17 AM

France, Greece, Switzerland, Austria, Spain . . . there are a lot of gorgeous countries in Europe with a lot to offer visitors.

My favorite country I've visited is probably France, but that doesn't mean it will be yours. Pick up some guidebooks at the library, look at some photos. If I were you, I'd be looking for something different from where you went in Italy - maybe the Alps of Switzerland, Austria or Bavaria?

Michel_Paris Jun 24th, 2010 09:26 AM

Lots of countries would meed that requirement.

For example, not many people here talk about Austria. I went a few years back, Vienna and countryside, it was very nice.

Turkey...so much history, a different culture, good food, city/country/beach, has it all

England and Ireland are "easy" places, rent a car and stop wherever you finish that day (we did this in Ireland).

France has much the same to offer. With high speed train you could tour one area, drop off car, TGV somewhere else and start over there.