Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What one thing do you recomend for trip to Munich?(besides the obvious Oktoberfest)

What one thing do you recomend for trip to Munich?(besides the obvious Oktoberfest)

Sep 14th, 2000, 04:52 PM
Walt

Looking for one main trip or thing you did that stood out in your trip to Germany.

Sep 18th, 2000, 01:57 PM
Tang

The outdoor market at the end of the main drag through Munich is fun. So is a trip to Fussen to see the castle.

Sep 18th, 2000, 06:13 PM
debbie

See the glockenspiel and the marienplatz. Then grab a day trip to Neuschwanstein and Oberammagau (the 2000 passion play is going on this year). I was there two years ago and it is supposed to be very cool. Really liked the town, quaint, right off of the romantic road.

Sep 19th, 2000, 01:40 PM
Shanna

Be sure to take a walk down by the river and through the big park (can't remember the name). Both have interesting surprises and you get to see the Germans being, well, German. I went right before Christmas and the Christmas market in Munich (and elsewhere) were fantastic. Eat lots of bratwurst and potato soup (kartoffelzuppe ?) - you'll never find anything so good here in the states. And gluhwein (sp?), warm spiced wine. 'Scuse me while I go get a snack.

Sep 19th, 2000, 03:27 PM
dfr39

I would go to Garmisch-Partenkirchen and take the Gondola to the top of Zugspitze, but only if it's a clear day. This is the highest mountain in Germany and you can look over the Alps for miles and miles. The views are just amazing. The Englisches Garten is a good place to take a walk, sit and sip a mas, and just people watch. The Duetches museum is also pretty neat. It's a kind of depressing experience, but Dachau is an experience that will stay with you for a long time. I agree with the above posters too. There is no shortage of things to do in and around Munich.