what NOT to take to SCAVI tour?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what NOT to take to SCAVI tour?

I've read that they don't allow backpacks inside the Scavi tour. What about a medium size bag with my camera?
Not that I'm going to take photos inside, but if you guys tell me I need to check things in, how long in advance do I have to be there to do so?
My tour is at 3:00 pm.
Thanks in advance
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
I was actually surprised that they didn't check any of the daypacks in our group. I think you'll be ok unless they have gotten stricter since September.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:34 PM

I was also really surprised they didn't make anyone in our group of 11 check anything--one couple had a small backpack, and it was no problem. Oh, and if you did check something, it would only take a moment or so. You actualy show up at a small office to verify you've arrived for the tour, and that's where you'd check whatever you'd be leaving there.

Buon Viaggio (it's a really cool tour),
BC
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:50 PM

bookchick, I'm just curious, have you actually checked something at the small office where you check in? When I was there in Sept, I asked the Swiss Guard if I needed to check my purse (large but not huge), and he said they might make me check it. But, I had to go to the opposite side of St. Peter's to check it, they weren't checking anything where you go in for the Scavi Tour. It wasn't a problem, as I had allowed extra time in case I had to do that, but it definitely takes longer than checking something right at the Scavi entrance.

As it turned out, there was another woman in my tour with a similar-size purse, so I probably would have been OK, but better safe than sorry.
Old May 24th, 2006, 06:28 AM

Yes, at the time--this was a year and a half ago--there was a sign in the office where you check in, and it made some reference to checking items not being taken on the tour. The guy with the backpack asked the gentleman at the desk if he should check the backpack, and the gentleman said "no, it's not necessary". I was about to offer to check my small-to-medium sized purse, but after I heard that, I kept my mouth shut and just brought it with me!

BC
Old May 24th, 2006, 08:40 PM

bookchick, that's interesting, I wonder if they've changed that policy, since I had to go the regular St. Peter's check office to check my purse.