Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What not to miss near Hawes, UK (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-not-to-miss-near-hawes-uk-770006/)

bettyk Feb 27th, 2009 05:59 PM

What not to miss near Hawes, UK

We'll be spending 2 days in Hawes the end of April. What are not to be missed nearby towns and attractions? I tentatively have included Fountain's Abbey but not sure about some of the other possibilites.

Cathinjoetown Feb 27th, 2009 07:05 PM

I don't know the area immediately around Hawes but to the west you're not far from the Lake District and to the east, it's about an hour to Harrogate and an hour and a half to York.

I expect you may want to stay closer to Hawes so hopefully others can help. But, on a pretty day, looks like you're aan hour from Windermere and from there several of the lakes are easy drives.

bettyk Feb 27th, 2009 08:01 PM

Thanks. Hawes is actually the last stop on our 3 week trip. We are spending some time in the Lake District already. Didn't really want to go as far afield as York or Harrowgate as I know there is alot to see closer to Hawes.

Maybe you are right and somebody else might have a suggestion. I appreciate your comments though.

bettyk Feb 28th, 2009 07:34 AM

ttt for more replies please.

flanneruk Feb 28th, 2009 09:05 AM

If your definition of "near" doesn't include Harrogate or the Lakes, then there really is simply nothing that's not to be missed.

This is North Yorkshire, not some tourist trap down south. There's bloody nice countryside for 20 miles around - all of it best seen from your own two feet after a decent five or ten miles' walk to work up an appetite so you'll be properly fed for the walk back. Bainbridge, just down the road, has got an unexcavated Roman site (which mreans there's nothing to see, but the village is mildly pretty). There's a list of local beauty spots at www.wensleydale.org/attractions/

Or, if you want the edgy street life of a major metropolis, there's Richmond, which is pretty. Or Catterick, which absolutely isn't (and that's an understatement), but is the location of just about the oldest poem in the Welsh language, and, as Catraeth (which is what the Welsh call it), is a significant part of the Arthurian legends. Never can anything so romantic be associated with somewhere so dismal.

But apart from medieval investigations, Wensleydale's all about walking. Must-sees are profoundly unYorkshire.

Morgana on Monday morning will have lots of things to do in Yorkshire. But they'll all be outside the area you've defined.

stfc Feb 28th, 2009 09:10 AM

The Wensleydale Cheese Visitor Centre! Hawes is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside in the Dales, so if you enjoy getting out and are blessed by the weather that's the best way to appreciate the place.

Fountains Abbey is well worth a visit. There are other ruins and a few National Trust properties in the area. I suggest you wait until you get there as at that time of year you might have to be flexible with your plans. It's a beautiful part of England.

bettyk Feb 28th, 2009 09:32 AM

Thanks. Unfortunately, we can't do that much walking as DH has arthritis in his feet and can't go too far especially on unlevel ground.

I guess I was wondering if any of the market towns like Masham were worth a visit. What about Skipton?

Or maybe just a nice drive that would incorporate our visit to Fountain's Abbey?

stfc Feb 28th, 2009 09:49 AM

If you want a spectacular drive to Fountains Abbey, try Hawes-B6160-Grassington-Pately Bridge-Ripon. Ripon has an attractive cathedral. Take a look on Google Earth or similar.

If your partner isn't good on his pins you need to be aware that Fountains Abbey involves a bit of walking. It's tucked away in a valley which is what makes it so stunning.

stfc Feb 28th, 2009 09:59 AM

Google Maps, sorry.

bettyk Feb 28th, 2009 10:25 AM

Thanks, stfc. As long as he is on flat ground and can rest when he needs to, we're OK. The drive you outline sounds great and just what I was looking for.

bettyk Mar 1st, 2009 01:46 PM

Topping in case Morgana is around!

janisj Mar 1st, 2009 02:56 PM

I'd just get out and drive. You won't be close to much so a drive down to Fountains Abbey and Harrogate or just a drive around through the countryside. Except for terrific scenery - there really isn't much w/i a few miles of Hawes.

Re stfc"s route - after the B6160, you'd take the B6265 from Grassington on towards Pateley Bridge. You don't want to stay on the B6160 unless you plan on visiting Bolton Abbey.

bettyk Mar 1st, 2009 06:03 PM

Thanks, janis. I think we are planning to visit Bolton Abbey on our way from Hawes back to Manchester Airport on our last day. Looked like a good way to kill some time.

We've been to York years ago but we have never been to Harrogate. However, google maps show it to be about 3 hrs round trip so that may be farther than we'd want to go. What about Skipton?

Morgana Mar 1st, 2009 11:26 PM

Fountains Abbey is quite a drive from Hawes but absolutely worth it. There is a big visitor centre and car park - BUT there is also a small car park mainly for those who can't walk quite as far (the main car park has a steep walk down to the abbey but this smaller car park is level with the abbey itself and you'll find it easier, it also passes Fountains Hall which you can visit).
You are in 'Herriot' country, not sure if you are familiar with the book. A lot of the filming tok place in the area, especially in Askrigg where the Kings Arms was 'The Drovers'.
Skipton has a castle and is always busy and bustling, Masham is much smaller and an attractive place for a wander around. Grassington can be 'touristy' on a sunny weekend but has losts of interesting little shops and is surrounded by the most beautiful countryside.
If you like waterfalls there's Hardraw Force (England's largest single drop waterfall) and Aysgarth Falls. Aysgarth falls are featured in Robin Prince of Thieves. They are spectacular in spate but beautiful all year round. There's a car park (pay and display) with a reasonably good path leading to them. Lovely place for a picnic.
www.hardrawforce.com
www.wensleydale.org/villages/aysgarth.html
In Masham you can visit the Black Sheep Brewery for a tour (something to bear in mind if the weather should be unkind). The Bistro here is excellent if you are looking for somewhere to eat.
www.blacksheepbrewery.co.uk
However you are also within reach of the superb Wensleydale Heifer, an award fish restaurant in the middle of the land locked Dales. This place is fantastic! Its fish and chips are some of the best I have ever eaten, cooked in beer batter and served with 'posh' mushy peas on a plate patterned with newsprint. I've eaten lobster and fabulous salmon here too - recommended!
www.wensleydaleheifer.co.uk
Middleham is also worth a visit - famous for its racehorses but also has a ruined castle you can visit (once lived in by Richard 111).
www.middlehamonline.com/
Lastly, if you don't want to drive all the way to Fountains then there is Jervaulx Abbey, a mainly unrestored gem of a place. No visitor centre, no fees to get in, and we often have the whole place to ourselves. There is a good teashop and car park across the road.
www.jervaulxabbey.com
Just up the road from Jervaulx you can get wonderful ice cream.
www.abmoore.co.uk
Best of all just drive around enjoying the area.
Hope this helps, have a wonderful time.

bettyk Mar 2nd, 2009 07:52 AM

Thank you, Morgana!! I am very familiar with the Herriot books. This is just the information I was looking for! You're a DOLL!!