what not to miss in venice?

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:14 AM
andria

what not to miss in venice?

not the big stuff like piazza san marco but the great bits that you find whilst exploring. please help we dont want to miss anything amazing !

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:19 AM
sally

I just enjoyed walking the streets, sitting in cafes, and soaking up the incredible atmsophere of this wonderful city. I understand that the Guggenheim Museum has quite an outstanding collection; however, I have not been there. Have a nice trip; whatever you do/see will be memorable, as Venice is such a unique place to visit.

Old May 5th, 2001, 07:45 AM
Deborah

You have to be an early riser, but I recommend taking a 7:00 am walk to the market (just across the Rialto). You get to see the merchants unloading their produce and setting up their stalls. I loved it, and when they were ready for business, I bought some fruit for my breakfast.

Enjoy Venice!
Deborah

Old May 5th, 2001, 01:33 PM
Susan

Hi Andria,
I have to say that although everything is GORGOUS, I am really glad I did a couple of things:
1) the Basilica San Marco...no matter how long you have to wait. Your mouth will just hang open as you walk through. Early morning is best.
2)Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
(the Frari) stunning church with gorgous art (Titan and Bellini) and sculpture.
3)Sculola Grande di San Rocco. I twa a school, or an institution or something, but they hired Tintoretto to decorate the walls and ceilings, and the artwork is amazing.
4) Santi Giovanni e Paolo - another amazing church filled with stunnig art.
Of course if you don't like churches, these may not be your best bet!
Have fun, Susan

Old May 6th, 2001, 12:00 PM
elaine

Hi andria
As Sally said, the city itself I think is the greatest attraction. If you are going in high season I understand the crowds can be
overwhelming, so buy a good guidebook before you go and search out some of the areas away from San Marco that sound interesting to you.

The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is a great suggestion if you enjoy modern art--makes a nice change from the Renaissance masterpieces. It has a great terrace with a view of the Grand Canal, and a very good cafe on the premises.

IMO, most of Venice's greatest art is in its churches and other public buildings like the Scuole
so whenever you wander into a campo
(square), find the church (just about every campo has one) and wander inside.
Another reason why a good guidebook is essential. Fodor's is good as a general overview, but if there is no such thing for you as having too much information, then think about buying the book Venice for Pleasure by J. G. Links which I've carried with me. It is available from the Common Reader catalog www.acommonreader.com and possibly from other sources. This book has walking itineraries including places to stop for rest and refreshment, and wonderful details on things to look at while you are walking and even while you are sitting down. This book is not useful for restaurants or hotels or hours that sites are open. Paolo, a Venice expert on this forum, likes "The Blue Guide" for Venice which is certainly as complete as anyone could wish, but I find it dry reading and the architectural detail overwhelming.

I have a file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me.

Old May 6th, 2001, 02:21 PM
d

See the island of Torcello.

Go with an appetite for lunch; there are several restaurants along the single canal. I went on a Sunday morning--from my hotel in Dosudoro (Locanda San Barnaba--GREAT; pretty & good value for the money!!), and with connections en route it took about an hour to get there. --really enjoyed being on the water!

Less populated and touristy than the islands of Murano and Burano, Torcello offers a Byzantine Cathedral (awsome!),
small museum, and a bell tower you can climb. There's mo hard-sell on Torcello. If lunch prices for a sit-down lunch look steep, you can get something standing up (a drink, at least) in the place that is closest to the pier.

I'd love to go back with a picnic lunch.

Old May 6th, 2001, 03:52 PM
Marj

Just to add to the other great suggestions, Doges Palace. It's spectacular.

Old May 6th, 2001, 04:14 PM
sandy

Take the vaporetto over to Isola San Giorgio and ride the elevator to thetop of the bell tower over there. it won't be nearly so crowded as the one at St. Mark's Square, and the view is spectacular!

Old May 6th, 2001, 11:47 PM
marian

The original Harry's Bar. Wonderful food!

Old May 8th, 2001, 07:11 AM
Gimmer

Absolutely...must go to Harry's Bar and drink Bellini's! Also, be sure to eat plenty of gelato, which is available everywhere. As an earlier message stated, it is good to just stroll around and explore this amazing city. We bought fresh baguettes and delicious mozarella & tomatoes from a grocer, put them in a backpack and when it was lunchtime we'd find a bench and make sandwiches. Costs very little and a great way to relax and absorb the atmosphere. You will love Venice.

Old May 8th, 2001, 08:10 AM
carol

Don't forget to bring binoculars--because so much of Venice's glorious art is on the walls and ceilings of its churches and scuole, the only way to really see the details is by using them! Even though the Accademia museum is big stuff, it has amazing paintings, especially by the Bellinis. Also don't miss the wonderful Bellini alterpiece in San Zaccaria. Finally, visit the Church of San Sebastiano, which is just filled with the most extraordinary Veroneses.