Reload this Page >

What news from France?

Search

What news from France?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Al

What news from France?

I bet dozens of Fodorites are on edge waiting for news from France and the strikes disrupting delivery of oil products, shutting down transportation. I phoned our travel agent this afternoon. It was all news to him! He said he would telephone the French National Travel Office in L.A. PLEASE POST ANY NEWS DEVELOPMENTS!

Old Sep 7th, 2000, 04:35 PM
Ellen

I just read an update on www.reuters.com. <BR> <BR>At least they are still talking but as it stands right now, no settlement. There is little gas to be had let alone road blockades and rail blockades. <BR>They have not ordered the blockades to be removed. It is utter chaos. <BR> <BR>I leave for France tomorrow. I've decided to go but have absolutely no idea what I'll do once I arrive at CDG. I have a rental car but even Hertz is not making a guarantee that you'll get a full tank of gas. <BR>I've already cancelled by first night hotel in Honfleur and have no idea where I'll sleep on Saturday. <BR> <BR>My dream vacation has been torn to shreds. I made a choice last night. Either I can sulk about it staying at home or I can invent a plan B for travel once I'm on the continent. I opted for plan B. I am scared sh....less of course. <BR> <BR>Good luck to all fellow France travelers. <BR>Ellen <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 12:59 AM
zzzzzzzzzz

Check out the 'More French Chaos Looms' thread for news updates.....

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 01:15 AM
francesca

There is still gas in Paris, so if you aren't going too far, it's not too bad. The transport people's antics are starting to affect interior flights (many are canceled) and they are apparently also setting fire to train tracks---just to make sure we are all well and duly cut off from any mode of long-distance transport. In spite of this, they are supported by a wide majority of the local population.

Old Sep 8th, 2000, 04:49 AM
Lori

I leave on Saturday and am a bit worried but not too!!! My friend is driving to CDG from Brussels to pick us up. she has said she can get petrol in Belgium so intends to fill up in Brussels and then at the border. Once we get to Reims, who knows. We are planning on 2 nites in Reims, 3 in the Beaune area, 1 in Chevrey Gembertin, 1 in Dijon, and 3 in Paris. We intended to drive the wine country in Burgundy, but maybe we'll have to rent bicycles. At least its exercise. Whatever happens, happens. I'm not cancelling now!