Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What name brands have you successfully carried onto European budget airlines?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi there, flying from the US to Europe on Norweigian next week and hope to avoid having to check a bag.

\ I have read the directions on the Norwegian website, which say
  • One carry-on bag, with maximum dimensions of 55 by 40 by 23 centimeters, or approximately 22 by 16 by 9 inches.
  • One small personal item, with maximum dimensions of 25 by 33 by 20 centimeters, or approximately 10 by 13 by 8 inches.
  • The maximum combined weight (for both) is 10 kilograms or about 22 pounds.
My current bags are all too big (except my kids' suitcase - which they will be using). I have also read about 6278432 reviews of Norwegian Airlines travelers saying bags they thought would fit did not actually fit and they had to pay extra despite measuring stuff at home. I have also heard that 55 cm is actually 21.6 inches, not 22, and they will not allow a bag that is 22 inches. I have also scrutinized the actual measurements of bags and am finding that things advertised as 20 inches are really 21.8 if you add the wheels, etc. I have read that Norwegian will charge you if any part of your bag pokes out of what seems like a really small measuring device. I am also seeing that even small bags weigh enough to eat into your allowance for example, if you have a 10 kg limit and your bag itself weighs 3.5 kg...).

So, rather than pay them a bunch of fees, I was thinking maybe to invest in two new bags that meet this standard. I was looking at the IT bags. Anyone recommend any particular bags that pass have passed these exacting standards?

And yes, I also posted in Air Travel, but that board is not viewed as often as this one and it seems like European budget airlines have different standards (i.e., are stricter about weights) than legacy airlines.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 05:30 AM

We just flew Norwegian from New York Stewart airport. The biggest issue for us wasn't the size of the bag but the weight. Our normal 22" roller weighed over 7 pounds empty. Good camera plus other electronics added another 6 or so pounds which didn't leave a lot of spare weight for clothing/toiletrees to stay under the total 22 pounds. Since we didn't have to schlep our bags far during the trip, we ended up using lightweight duffle bags (40L stowaway from Eddie Bauer) that weighed less than a pound. The plus being the ability to squish it down if fitting was an issue (it wasn't though). They weighed our carry on and personal item together at check in in New York. They did not on our return from Dublin but did look over what we were carrying.

I'd do a practice packing and weigh everything you'd like to bring. Then see how much extra weight you have for the bag and purchase something appropriate.

I did see people carrying on roller bags but they looked to be slightly smaller than what our 22" ones look like.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 05:58 AM

You definitely have to include the wheels when you measure the bags.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 06:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What is a "name brand"?
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 06:46 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
TravelPro 22” on RyanAir.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:14 AM

I fly European low-cost carriers 10-12 times a year.
Sometimes the airlines don't care about weighing and measuring at all, sometimes they do down to the last gram and millimeter.
Since Europe uses the metric system, scales and those measurement frames are set to metric weights and measurements - not approximate inches and pounds. Wheels always count towards the measurement limits.

You can convert very precisely centimeters to inches by using the Google search box.

The problem with soft bags is that they can be within the limits when empty, but as soon as you put too much stuff inside they won't.
As easy workaround would be to buy hardside cabin luggage, which cannot expand. Or at least not significantely.
These bags also have the advantage that your stuff has better protection in case the overhead compartments are full and your cabin bag has to fly in the belly of the plane.

Portable/ travel scales can usually be switched to metric.. at least my cheapo scale can do that, so I doubt it's a luxury feature.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 07:27 AM

I'm flying Norwegian from SFO to MAD, with a layover at Gatwick. I booked Premium, and am only bringing carry-on for a five-week trip. I'm wondering about the connecting flight from Gatwick to Madrid - which does not have the "premium" cabin (looks like we've been seated in an emergency row for the extra room) - and now I am hoping my carry-on, which will admittedly be on the heavy side, will be flagged at the gate. Coming home I have a direct flight from Barcelona to San Francisco, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Wonder if they'll be any more accommodating with the carry-on since the flight was booked at the higher premium price. Maybe the boarding pass won't even reflect that information.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 08:31 AM

>>> it seems like European budget airlines have different standards (i.e., are stricter about weights) than legacy airlines.
As one mentioned above, the enforcement can be a potluck. Often they are really regulationzillas. But some times, even the Ryanair does not seem to care about not visibly larger bags on a particular flight. You cannot count one way or the other on a specific flight.
You mentioned in another thread that this is a one-week trip. I don't know what kind of trip you are taking. But the most predictable way to reduce your along-the-fence issue is to reduce your luggage size. For one week trip, I take a 20" roller with a lot of space left. I just took a 5 day trip with just a day-pack. Yes, that is a kind of bag kids take to schools. I wanted to travel super light because I was going through many turnstyle and stairs. I only bring multi-purpose light weight items. Oh, yes, a laptop was also in my bag.
Many people I travel with take humongous bags three to four times more in volume. They didn't step through the itinerary to plan which items were really needed. I knew they didn't know the itinerary because every evening many would ask what we were doing the next day and what kind of shoes and clothes they needed to wear. That is obviously too late to change what to pack from home. Mind you, these were 50+ old people, not kids. Many people have a fear of not taking enough. I have only seen people taking too much of superfluous items but not essentials like blister prevention and treatment items when they needed to walk far more distance than at home often using a new pair of shoes.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 08:42 AM

Why don't you just follow the rules, wouldn't that be easier? It isn't difficult to convert cm to inches, Google can do it. Asking for a specific brand is a waste of time, first because it is possible one particular bag might pass one time and not another; and second, brands have lots of different model suitcases for sale, you may not get the exact same one, and they could even vary from one year to the next.

Really, just follow the rules.

As for your blanket statements about how European budget carriers are more strict than "legacy" carriers, in my experience, no they aren't. But I can measure and follow rules. Airlines that have disallowed my carryon on one leg of a trip but it was allowed on the same airline on a different leg were all legacy, in fact (ie, United and Delta). I've never flown Norwegian though but I also don't really care about checking bags on a longer trip.

Haven't you ever traveled with a small suitcase, what do you do on weekend trips? Still take large suitcases that would be over their limits? Just surprised you don't even own a smaller one.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by Christina
Why don't you just follow the rules, wouldn't that be easier? It isn't difficult to convert cm to inches, Google can do it. Asking for a specific brand is a waste of time, first because it is possible one particular bag might pass one time and not another; and second, brands have lots of different model suitcases for sale, you may not get the exact same one, and they could even vary from one year to the next.

Really, just follow the rules.

As for your blanket statements about how European budget carriers are more strict than "legacy" carriers, in my experience, no they aren't. But I can measure and follow rules. Airlines that have disallowed my carryon on one leg of a trip but it was allowed on the same airline on a different leg were all legacy, in fact (ie, United and Delta). I've never flown Norwegian though but I also don't really care about checking bags on a longer trip.

Haven't you ever traveled with a small suitcase, what do you do on weekend trips? Still take large suitcases that would be over their limits? Just surprised you don't even own a smaller one.
I agree with much of what you have said. My issue is more with weight than overall size, though.

For this trip we are planning on only one carry-on bag each for five weeks - we will be on and off trains and walking our bags up and down stairs and through small cobblestone streets in a variety of settings, thus the carry-on plan. That said, our carry--on bags will definitely weigh more than the 10k allowed onboard (which also is to include a personal bag, such as a purse or laptop). I don't mind checking a bag - but in this case, if my too-heavy carry-on bag were to be lost, it would pretty much be everything I have for my trip.

I'm rethinking our plan - and what I am seriously considering is to triage my belongings down to the acceptable weight (after packing it all to fit into my carry-on while still at home) and then checking an old suitcase with the least important or irreplaceable items to make sure the weight of the carry-on complies. When I get to the final destination, I can re-pack and ditch the old bag. Or maybe have the check-on bag be a duffel I can fold up and reuse for the trip back.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by scdreamer
I'm rethinking our plan - and what I am seriously considering is to triage my belongings down to the acceptable weight (after packing it all to fit into my carry-on while still at home) and then checking an old suitcase with the least important or irreplaceable items to make sure the weight of the carry-on complies. When I get to the final destination, I can re-pack and ditch the old bag. Or maybe have the check-on bag be a duffel I can fold up and reuse for the trip back.
You're overthinking a bit, I think. In your 5-week trip how much are you packing for? Two weeks worth of clothing? More? Will you have access to laundry throughout?

I packed for a two week trip to Scotland and Iceland with some heavy clothing and was under the weight limit you describe.

I do think you need to upgrade your suitcases to lightweight carry-ons. Use space saving methods to improve space. Pack for two weeks worth of clothing, using layers. You should be fine on the way there. Maybe plan on checking on the way back (which I do anyway because I bring back wine).
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We needed to meet strict weight/size restrictions on some past trips. I had to buy two new carry ons as the old ones had at least one dimension too big. The key was to shop with a tape measure and reject any bag that had dividers, internal compartmentalization and amenities, etc. I ended up finding two bags from a brand called "It" that fit the bill.

The second workaround was to depend on the pockets of our trench coats to hold the heaviest small items (charging bricks, etc.). Also, lithium batteries are lighter than alkaline or rechrgeables plus battery recharger. As for clothes, synthetic is lighter than cotton. No toiletries packed. Spend a bit at destination for whatever the hotel doesn't provide. It all adds up. or subtracts, as the case may be. When packed, one bag was 500 grams under the limit, the other 300. Weighed at home on a doctor's scale.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 11:26 AM

So ... I weighed and measured my wheeled carry-on - the dimensions are fine, but the darn thing weighs almost 6 pounds! And I can only bring a total of 22 pounds in the cabin, including a purse or other personal bag. So if I use the bag, I will be limited to 16 pounds total for five weeks.

I'm going to pack as much as I can (staying within the weight limit) into an 8oz fold-able nylon duffel for carry-on, and check the rest - the least essential or irreplaceable stuff - in the bag I was going to use as a carry-on. Once I get to my destination I will combine it so I will just have the wheeled carry-on to contend with on trains, etc.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

*Sigh* - I thought I worded my question to avoid the all-knowing snarky Fodorite but I guess not...

I don't travel a ton and have never had to worry about bag size or weight when carrying on (American legacy carriers). I have never flown on a Euro budget airline - from doing some reading, I've learned that they can be quite picky. Maybe not, but I don't want to find out at the airport. I also don't own different sets of luggage (because I don't travel much). And, yes I can convert from inches to centimeters. In reading the measurements of bags I am looking I am learning that what's advertised as a 20-inch can actually be a 22 inch when measured and that is more than 21.6 inches. I don't own a car so it's not so easy to shop around at luggage stores as there aren't that many nearby, so I'm kind of stuck with an internet search (I do have Amazon prime). I was trying to see maybe if someone on this board had a make and model of a suitcase that met Norwegian's criteria. I don't think that's a waste of time - if someone used something that still works, perhaps it's available still.

It seems like a duffel might makes sense but there is a fear of being overweight since you can squish so much stuff in there. I am considering the IT Los Angeles - at $50 it's less than the cost of a checked bag. I do plan to do a dry run to the airport this weekend before our trip. I was even thinking to just to roll up my stuff and try to use my Fjallraven 20 inch canvas backpack.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:06 PM

If your luggage is overweight for the airline, it's definitely going to be overweight for lugging off and on trains, up and down steps, and so forth. You'll begin wishing someone would steal it. You need to take less stuff. I can carry enough clothing and toiletries for two weeks in a 21-inch Brookstone hard-sided carryon, which is well within the European budget airline guidelines. In many trips, it's never been overweight. I don't do laundry on trips, except in an emergency, but I don't travel for more than two weeks at a time.

Since you're going for five weeks, you'll need to do some laundry along the way. My formula for two weeks is: four pairs of slacks, including the ones I'm wearing. Six tops, which match all the slacks. This means that I have to wear things multiple times: count 4 days for a pair of slacks, and 3 days for a top. Enough socks and underwear for the entire trip. (I stuff socks into shoes and other underwear into tiny spaces.) I bring one pair of pajamas, and a bare minimum of toiletries. I rely a lot on the toiletries you find in hotel rooms. Before leaving, I get a good haircut and tell my hairdresser that I want something that will look good even if I don't blow dry it. If you pare it down to two weeks worth of luggage and do laundry twice, you should be able to fit it all into your carryons.

My husband and I will be going on a two-week trip in May. One of the airlines we'll take doesn't even allow a personal item, so we have to cram my purse and my husband's day pack into the suitcases. I plan to take the 21-inch case and an even smaller one. The larger case will have the clothing for both of us. The smaller one will have shoes, toiletry bag, chargers, etc., as well as anything we need easy access to, because that one will go under the seat.

If you plan to buy a suitcase, I've found that it's better to have one that doesn't have all sorts of pockets and dividers, because it's impossible to use all of them efficiently. One large internal space can be subdivided in many different ways. I also find that packing cubes take up unnecessary space and you can make your own little packets by clever folding.

I usually check my larger bag, just not to be bothered with it in the airport, but on this trip we'll actually carry both of them on. If I check a bag, I make sure that we'll have one change of clothing in the carry-on bag.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

My comment above was directed at the individual who told me to follow the rules, use google to calculate (that wasn't the issue), and wondered why I didn't own any smaller bags. I am a luddite apparently and did not quite him or her. The rest of you have given very helpful advice. Thank you.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 12:26 PM

It looks as though two different people are asking questions here, and I don't know who I'm answering.

Anyway, I almost always roll my stuff. I hang the legs of my slacks over the edges on the open suitcase, one pointing east and the next pointing west, so to speak. I roll up all the knitted tops, first folded nicely then rolled, and put them on top of the slacks. Then I roll the legs of the slacks tightly around the rolled tops. The slacks stay nicely creased and the tops don't get wrinkled.

If you're getting something from Amazon, some show very detailed measurements If not, in the Questions section, ask someone to measure theirs, from the ground up.

This bag is inexpensive, and seems to be within European cabin baggage guidelines. It also doesn't have too many inside pockets.

https://www.amazon.com/TravelCross-Berkeley-Classic-Lightweight-Hardshell/dp/B07HB9PW89/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_18_sspa?crid=J8ZTOQSPAUJL&keywords=brookstone+luggage+carry+on&qid=1554150180&s=gateway&sprefix=brookstone+lugg%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-18-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/TravelCross-Berkeley-Classic-Lightweight-Hardshell/dp/B07HB9PW89/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_18_sspa?crid=J8ZTOQSPAUJL&keywords=brookstone+luggage+carry+on&qid=1554150180&s=gateway&sprefix=brookstone+lugg%2Caps%2C248&sr=8-18-fkmrnull-spons&psc=1

It's about the same size as my Brookstone carry-on bag.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by OverIt
My comment above was directed at the individual who told me to follow the rules, use google to calculate (that wasn't the issue), and wondered why I didn't own any smaller bags. I am a luddite apparently and did not quite him or her. The rest of you have given very helpful advice. Thank you.
I know what you're referring to - have had the same type of responses in the past from her.

I didn't mean to hijack your your question - it's just so similar to my dilemma. Sorry!

bvlenci - I can certainly schlepp a wheeled bag that weighs a bit more than 22 pounds on and off trains and up and down stairs, have done it many times all over the world. I am not trying to save any money, as we are flying premium and checked bags are included. I am just feeling more than a little leery of lost bag issues (just happened in February on a similar international flight with a connection) and not being able to replace essential items, such as my walking shoes, and various other special clothing items I want to have for my trip. (BTW, the "lightweight" suitcase you linked to weighs 7 pounds!)

Overlt - With a typical wheeled carry-on weighing in at a minimum five lbs, that leaves only about 16 pounds for everything else, (including phone, chargers, medications, reader, etc.) according to Norwegian's website. If that isn't as much as you think you will need (and you want a wheeled bag), you may need to check it after all. A duffel will certainly give you more weight allowance for your things, but might not be convenient for lugging around if you are moving from one place to another. As for me - I ordered an 8 oz duffel today from Amazon for $10 that fits the carry-on dimensions, and I am going to put the things I really can't take a chance on losing in it up to the weight limit. I'll check the wheeled bag with anything left over (will not be full) and then consolidate when I get to Madrid, so I will have the convenience of the wheels when moving about.

https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-travel-Lightweight-Waterproof-Luggage/dp/B07PBV5JJR/ref=sr_1_16?crid=292IOZ9MNTG3O&keywords=travel+duffel+bag+foldable+lightweight&qid=1554156605&s=gateway&sprefix=lightweights+duffel%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-16 https://www.amazon.com/Foldable-travel-Lightweight-Waterproof-Luggage/dp/B07PBV5JJR/ref=sr_1_16?crid=292IOZ9MNTG3O&keywords=travel+duffel+bag+foldable+lightweight&qid=1554156605&s=gateway&sprefix=lightweights+duffel%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-16

Last edited by scdreamer; Apr 1st, 2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 03:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just weighed one of our It bags on a postal scale. 1908 grams, including 2 luggage tags. A significant factor in the weight is the extendable handle, the wheels, and the structure that connects them. An unstructured wheel-less bag will gain 3 1/2 pounds of capacity at the expense of requiring you to carry the entire weight. That's like carrying two 10 pound bags of potatoes in one hand with you everywhere you walk. No thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by scdreamer
I can certainly schlepp a wheeled bag that weighs a bit more than 22 pounds on and off trains and up and down stairs, have done it many times all over the world. I am not trying to save any money, as we are flying premium and checked bags are included. I am just feeling more than a little leery of lost bag issues (just happened in February on a similar international flight with a connection) and not being able to replace essential items, such as my walking shoes, and various other special clothing items I want to have for my trip. (BTW, the "lightweight" suitcase you linked to weighs 7 pounds!)
I can schlep a suitcase of 23kgs/50lbs quite easily if it is on wheels, on and off trains, up and down escalators, I'm not bothered by it. I don't have just carry-on luggage unless it is for an overnight or long weekend, I am not a fan of board last with hand luggage fares which I know is not what you have. I couldn't wear the same top and trousers over and over for days nor travel without toileteries or rely on hotel toiletries entirely (do they provide deodorant?) nor do I want to spend time in laundries or wash clothes in hotel sinks. When you say your bag was lost, was it lost or delayed? A lost bag ie one that is never recovered, is extremely rare. You could take the essentials that you can't do without as carry on and the rest as checked luggage.

<<lithium batteries are lighter than alkaline or rechrgeables plus battery recharger.>> Spare lithium batteries are not supposed to be packed in hold luggage.

https://www.norwegian.com/uk/travel-...ngerous-goods/
https://www.faa.gov/hazmat/packsafe/more_info/?hazmat=7

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -