Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What movies will you see over the holiday? What foreign films will you get caught up on?

Search

What movies will you see over the holiday? What foreign films will you get caught up on?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This always happen. I rent some flicks, and then public tv shows something good. I cannot resist Casablanca. I rented Talk to Her, and Mean Girls. And a travel video on Southern Italy.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 05:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Whatever will be the latest DVDs that appealto us but in the theater, "The long Engagement"with Audrey Tautou and "Forever callas"with Françoise Fabian and Jeremy Irons.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 06:11 PM

I'm taking a break at the moment from watching "War and Peace", the Russian masterpiece by Bondarchuk (all 400 minutes of it)--never saw it all before. It won the Oscar for best foreign picture in 1969. It would probably cost over $1 billion to make this today.

My future mother-in-law was on the costume team, working with a cast and crew of tens of thousands.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 06:25 PM

saw 'Bad Education' this afternoon - not as lyrical as 'Talk to Her' or 'All About my Mother' - but still very good.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 06:59 PM

Just finished watching "Terminal" with Tom Hanks and am wondering how they managed to get this story out of the original of the Iranian guy at CDG. I mean, it was a fairly amusing story, but nothing at all like the real one.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM

We rented Before Sunset, we saw The Incredibles in the theatre and plan to see The Motorcycle Diaries tomorrow.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Original Poster

Carta - Bad Education has gotten such great reviews, but it hasn't reached us yet. Scarlett - how was Before Sunset? I am going to see Sideways on the weekend. ANd I'd like to see The Incredibles as well. Alfie has come & gone, but Closer sounds interesting if brutal.
Old Nov 25th, 2004, 07:59 PM

MDM - showing my age, but I saw Bondarchuk's "War and Peace" on the big screen in '69 or '70. Weren't all the battle extras Red Army personnel? And wouldn't you know it, parts 3 & 4 are showing in a Sydney theatre as I write, along with Cimino's "Heaven's Gate" and Fellini's "La Strada".

Not a holiday in this part of the world of course, but foreign films on my hit list are:
"De-lovely" (US)
"Festival Express" (Canadian?)
"Garden State" (US)
"Hero" (China)

Last flick seen, "Somersault" (Australia) - thumbs up from wife, thumbs down from me.

ninasdream, OK, I know "De-lovely" isn't what you had in mind when you said "foreign". BTW, I picked up "Casablanca" in China recently, saving it for a rainy day. (Guilty as charged - it's a pirated copy, but at around $1 I'd have been haunted by the ghosts of my Scottish forebears if I'd turned it down.)
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 04:49 AM

Great minds StCirq! While I was reclining on the couch [cook's perogative!] my 2 guests went out and rented "The Terminal" -- which we enjoyed. My 2 guests are slavic-speakers [Polish & Macedonian] so they were having a great time with the vocabulary and accent. I was enjoying what was, in fact, a very sweet story that resisted the "happy ending" of boy gets girl.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 04:59 AM

I started Death in Venice last night. Before that we watched The Last Kiss and He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not (which I highly recommend).
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 05:48 AM

I just read that "Sideways" was supposed to be great,,,will see it next week. Saw "Ray" which was very good IMO. Heard "Alexander" was a complete disaster!
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:31 AM

"Sideways" is worth the trip.
M
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 06:59 AM

I am at work but this evening should have 2 flicks from Netflix:; "Deadly Dandelion" (UK) and "I Vitteloni" Italian. I highly recommend documentary by Marcello Mastrianni, "I Remember" and "Tinker Tailor.." from Public TV with the incomparable Alec Guinness.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:12 AM

I'm going to be seeing "Under the Tuscan Sun" for like the 10th time. It has it's hook in me. Probably wish I could just up and move. Well, taking the first steps next year.

Saw "Hero" a couple years ago and it's amazing. A beautiful movie. The colors, the colors...

I second "He Loves Me, He Loves Me Not." You won't see it coming. I have quite the crush on the girl with the short blonde hair. Sophie!

I've been on a kick of lots of French and Italian movies lately. My library is awesome!! I highly recommend the "Trois Couleurs" trilogy.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 02:08 PM

I have to see "Saw" and re-watch "Swimming Pool".
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 02:53 PM
cmt

I haven't kep track of the movies this season, so I have no particular movie plans. That doesn't mean I won't see any, but I just haven't given it much thought yet. However, I want to take advantage of the existence of a movie thread to ask you all something. do you know of any Turkish movies tht you might recommend? I think I've seen only one Turkish movie in my life. It was from about 10 hears ago, a tragic story of a family from a village in Turkey that decided to walk to Switzerland so the father could find work, but were totally unprepared for the disatnce and the harsh weather and terrain enroute, and all but the father died (I think).
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 05:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Carol, We had a Turkish film festival here April-May. I'm sure if you google you will find the list. If you want to rent by mail any Turkish films, you can see what's available at www.facest.org
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:02 PM

Hhave seen Christmas with the Kranks 2x now, once with son and friend, once with DH and big group. Funny, heartwarming movie, and very appropriate for kids. Also bought Seinfeld seasons 1, 2, 3, for college age kids for Christmas, but have already opened and watched--we are HOPELESS! Plan to see Polar Express, plus anything else. Our movie theater is a one-screen from 1928, restored to full glory, a working theater. Upstairs seats have tables, own concession area, beer and wine served up there, must be 21 or older for balcony. We sponsored seats during renovation and have "own" aisle seat for DH in case he's beeped during movie. The Ritz is our home away from home---LOVE MOVIES! But from reading posts, our tastes also firmly and hopelessly lowbrow/ Hollywood/ PG 13.
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:14 PM
rex

Enjoyed an outing of nine tonight, seeing The Incredibles, with a whole gaggle of family.

If there is a better movie showing in theatres right now, I would find it really, really tres incroyable.

Gleeful to see how extraordinary (still) is American creativity in story-telling on the big screen.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Nov 26th, 2004, 07:24 PM

msvb, I saw Hero when it first came out and want to see it again. You are right, the colors!!

rex, I agree

kswl, we got the Seinfeld DVDs for our son! He can now overdose on Kramer and George in Japan

We saw National Treasure this past week, really enjoyed it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -