COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What maps do you recommend for Barcelona, Granada, Seville?

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

I'd love to hear your favorites for street maps for Barcelona, Granada & Seville. Also, any you can recommend downloading to a kindle? I prefer a paper map, but might be nice to have a back up option.

Thanks!
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:15 AM

I love my Kindle but I hate using a map on it. I usually do one guidebook for our Kindles and so can often reference a map on there, but a paper map still is my friend.

For our Seville to Granada trip, I bought a the Streetwise Seville and Andalucia map: http://www.streetwisemaps.com/city-map/seville-map.html. I have not been to Barcelona, but I probably would have bought the Streetwise for it, too.

Then when I get to the town, hotels usually provide free maps and those are just great as addendums. Because Streetwise maps are indexed, they a good for finding some obscure location, but since the hotel maps tend to be "pretty", they are great for getting bearings and of course, we can scribble all over those.

I expect that soon as rates make it more feasible, I'll be using a nice GSM smartphone's GPS capability instead of all of this. I know that my Android's Google Maps app has made me stop using my car's built-in navigation system.
Old May 6th, 2012, 06:36 AM

I find the free hotel map also a good backup. Or to get a very general idea where sights are located.

For Barcelona, I found the "official" city guide from Barcelona Turisme with many fold out maps surprisingly good value for money (€10).
It is very compact and light-weight (60something pages, weighs less than a small paperback).
The guide usually gives you fairly huge areas (like the Old Town), and then breaks it down into the 3-4 neighborhoods. And with one glance at the maps you see all the nearby sights, restaurants, shops etc. So you don't go zig-zag all over town to see the "Top 10" and overlook something right around the corner which might even interest you more.
Also a ton of sights that usually don't make it into the more expensive guidebooks from the big publishers.
You will check it out at any of the city's information booths or usually also at any museum's shop.

In addition, you should also check out the official website of the Tourist Information. You will find quite a bit of useful free information there, and also audio guides to download for a fee for your smart phone or mp3 player.
http://www.barcelonaturisme.com/
Old May 6th, 2012, 09:07 AM
jgg

I love the Streetwise maps too and can highly recommend them. That's what we used for Barcelona. For Granada and Seville we used maps given by the hotel and they worked out great.
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all!
Old May 6th, 2012, 10:39 PM

If you're looking for a very detailed map down to alley sized streets I love my Knopf guide for Sevilla. I couldn't live without it. The maps provided by hotels and the tourist offices are adequate but this map is extremely detailed.

http://knopfdoubleday.com/knopf-mapguides/
Old May 13th, 2012, 05:21 PM
Original Poster

Looks like the Knopf maps have a bit of a guide rolled into them too. But the Streetwise are laminate. I'm assuming Knopf isn't?
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:37 AM

I think there is a coating on the Knopf (I have the one for New York and the one for San Francisco) but not like the Streetwise.

Knopf Mapguides and Streetwise are rather different animals, and therefore it's not a matter of "better" but more of a matter of preference. I realized I just wasn't pulling my Knopf Mapguides out of my backpack, so I stopped buying more.
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:14 AM

My Knopf map for Sevilla is not laminated but it is at least 5 years old. It has a little bit on each area with the map but I just use it for the map. I've never found a map that shows as much details on even the smallest streets