Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What makes a 2 star hotel become a 3 star in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2000, 01:34 PM
Donna

I wonder what the main difference between a 2 star and a 3 star hotel is. I have read reviews and seen pictures of 2 star hotels that look better than 3 star hotels! Is it an elevator, sound proofing, firm beds, or what? I am deciding between 2 hotels in Paris for July. Grand Hotel des Balcons (2 star) sounds good with a large buffet breakfast, and St. Christophe (3 star) sounds good too with a smaller breakfast and special summer rate. Neither one has air-conditioning. Both are similar in cost, in my low price range, and are in the Latin Quarter/St. Germain area. Can anyone give me feedback on either of these hotels? Should I take the 3 star because it's supposed to be better??

Old May 14th, 2000, 03:57 PM
wes fowler

Donna, <BR>I can't comment on either hotel however you're on the right track in recognizing the distinction between two and three star hotels. It's a question of amenities. For example, take two hotels each with forty rooms, an elevator, breakfast room, 24 hour manned front desk. One hotel has 15 rooms with private bath; the other has 25 rooms with private bath. The first will carry a lower star rating than the second though each may have other amenities that parallel and compliment one another.

Old May 14th, 2000, 04:09 PM
Michael

AC is a must because in the summer with the windows open you will hear buses and automobiles...and even worse you may hear people on the street until the we hours. Second - the breakfast is important - a buffet breakfast is a plus becuae the opposite of the buffet breakfast is the continental breakfast which might be just a pot of coffee and a baguette. Find one with AC!

Old May 14th, 2000, 04:34 PM
s.fowler

First: I don't have an intimate knowledge of the line between two and three stars. From what I understand it does have to do with the number of rooms that are "ensuite". From what I understand it is also the case that some hotels choose to maintain a lower star rating for some reason. Perhaps having to do with taxes. For example. I love Hotel Bersoly's, but it obviously is less expensive than Hotel l'Academie and, in my visit to the later and stay at the former, it is clear the amenities differ. Yet both are officially 3 star. Go figure

Old May 14th, 2000, 05:05 PM
Bob Brown

I was told last summer by the weekend night clerk at the Acacias St. Germain, who was a JD from UCLA working on a Ph. D. at the Sorbonne in International Law, that a 3 star hotel had to meet several amenity requirements, AND that having someone on the desk at night who spoke English was a requirement. His language skills were one reason he had the job, because he was the only employee at night. The other night fellow spoke English, too, but not as fluently as the UCLA fellow, who spoke about like any American lawyer!! <BR>

Old May 14th, 2000, 05:31 PM
Donna

No one that I know of has been successful in determining the specific requirements of each successive star. I have read, however, that there are many two-star establishments which choose to forego a third star because the taxes are higher.

Old May 14th, 2000, 06:45 PM
Caitlin

Somewhere, I did read the actual list of amenities that are taken into account--but I can't remember where! It MAY have been the Unofficial Guide to Paris. Anyway, it included the kinds of things mentioned here and many more, things like whether there is a restaurant, room service, air conditioning, staff-to-guest ratios, etc. I have also heard that some places under-star to avoid paying higher taxes, which might explain some of the disparities, like why some 2-star hotels are nicer and/or more expensive than some 3-star. It's clear enough that you shouldn't chhose between two based solely on the star rating, as some 2-stars will be a better experience than some 3-stars. <BR> <BR>For Donna, www.paris.org has numerous customer comments on the Balcons; peruse the various hotel and reservation sites; many have photos and customer comments.

Old May 14th, 2000, 08:22 PM
Katie

I would agree that there are no specific descriptions anywhere of the rating system used for hotels in France. So far, all I've learned specifically is that for three stars a hotel must serve breakfast in your room, but many two star establishments do this as well. Consider, though, that an extra star may mean only that there are on sight laundry facilities, an on sight restaurant, an ice machine, and other ammenities for which you would not care to spend the extra to have. You may want to rethink selecting a hotel without air conditioning for July. And, both of the hotels you mentioned and quite well known and popular may well be booked already for your dates. So, it's best not to obsess and book, then keep shopping if you like.

Old May 15th, 2000, 04:09 AM
elaine

Donna, the star ratings are determined by the government (Michelin also has a star rating system, but that is private, not governmental). It is possible that <BR>a two star hotel at the top of its class is a better deal than a 3-star at the bottom of its class. Also stars don't really account for location, ambiance, <BR>courtesy, owner's pride, etc. <BR>Your best bet is to look for hotel recommendations on this forum, or at websites like www.paris.org or <BR>www.hotelboulevard.com

Old May 15th, 2000, 04:26 AM
a

I recently had an extended stay at a well-known 2 star chain establishment. The problems I had were as follows: <BR>-was moved from a room where the TV worked to one where it didn't in the middle of my stay <BR>-was woken repeatedly in the middle of the night by doors slamming <BR>-the service was of the 'if something goes wrong it must be your fault' variety. <BR> <BR>I stayed in 3 star hotels in the past and it seems to me they do the little things right to get that extra star (conscientious service, quiet hotel atmosphere, tidy atmosphere). <BR> <BR>In summary, I'll take the extra star anytime.

Old May 15th, 2000, 05:16 AM
Sheryl

Donna, <BR> <BR>You are REALLY going to want the airconditioning!!!!!