Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What major City in Europe has the most and least tourists?

Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

When I was in Prague last year I think I saw more tourists than any place else in Europe. The City was just jammed with tourists. Maybe Prague has more tourists than anywhere else in Europe.

So, what City has the most tourists and which seems tourist free?
Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:23 AM

The uninteresting ones.
Maybe Bonn would qualify?

Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:44 AM

Least tourists are in Vale da Coelha (Female Rabbit Valey) in Northern Portugal. It should qualify since not a single tourist was seen on the spot since the Visigoths.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:47 AM

I don't think any major city in Europe qualifies for "tourist-free" Maybe for "less cramped with tourists" but no tourists ...impossible OL
And no, I don't think Prague has more tourists than Paris or Rome or London..it is just an smaller city and you feel it more crowded.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 07:57 AM

I don't think Prague had nearly as many tourists as Venice, when I visited both cities last year.

And Rome and Paris probably both have a lot more tourists visiting at any one time than either Venice or Prague, but their sights are spread out so much more so it's not as noticeable. Prague's tourist area is very small, so the crowd on the Charles Bridge or at the Old Town Square just seems larger.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM

Venice is so small and the hoardes of tourists gravitate to a few streets and San Marco - yet outside these bounds the city can be remarkable untouristed

same for any major city - tourists gravitate to a relatively small part of town but the rest of the town has few

thus your answer can be the same city for both touristed and untouristed IMO
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:12 AM

Well, I just had another family member return from a first business trip to Rome and hated it. It seems everyone hates Rome but the place is CRAWLING with tourists. It seemed much more overrun than Venice. (PS I will be in Rome next week for the 5th or 6 th time and I LOVE Rome.)
Oct 3rd, 2007, 08:55 AM

Tourism is important to Prague, I've read it is about number 6 of European cities in number of tourists. It isn't even close to the numbers in London or Paris, though, which are the top two. They have 25-30 million per year and Prague has about 3-4 million.

Madrid, Rome and Berlin all have more than Prague, also.

Perhaps it just seemed like more because you were there at a particularly busy time and because tourists in Prague do tend to stay very concentrated in a small area, they don't venture far. I suggested to someone once that they visit the Prague modern art musuem, which is just over the river in Karlin a bit, and is a wonderful museum, and you'd think I'd suggested going somewhere really far or difficult. It's probably only about a mile from the center. Tourists in Paris have to go a little farther and spread out more because they want to go to the Eiffel Tower at least, and Notre Dame, so they have to at least spread out between those two (and the Louvre and Champs-Elysees). Most tourists in Prague only visit the bridge, the castle, and Old Town Square (and maybe the Jewish Museum area just north of that)--and anything in the way in-between the castle and crossing the bridge, so maybe St Nicolas and the part of Mala Strana right around the bridge.

There isn't any major European city that is tourist free. At least none I've visited. Maybe some that everyone says are kind of boring and more for business are, but I haven't been there -- like Geneva.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM

We found Dubrovnik to be overrun with tourists last Fall. Jam packed, wall to wall. It is a small place so seemed worse.

However, we still loved it, adored it, and cannot wait to return to it.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:10 AM

Tirana might be pretty quiet.
Oct 3rd, 2007, 09:40 AM
carolinetaylor

but surely you were one of those tourists, so therefore contributing to the crowds??

I didn't find Prague anymore crowded than any other capital city i've been to

Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM

While I thought Prague was very "impacted" by tourists, I'm voting for Venice. We were there in October last year, and it was hard to walk around.

Dubrovnik too, was hard to walk around during the day.

Perhaps any popular place frequented by cruise ships?

I thought Budapest seemed to absorb us tourists the best. It felt more like a regular big city where most of the people there were actual residents!