COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

What London Neighborhood to Stay In

Old Sep 6th, 1997, 10:58 AM
Mike Miller

What London Neighborhood to Stay In

Looking for some opinions on Victoria and Kensington neighborhoods as far as noise, safety, convenience etc for a 3 or 4 nite stay.

Old Sep 6th, 1997, 06:39 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Mike: There are good and better parts of both areas but I myself would choose Kensington for its interesting shops and restaurants plus good transportation and plenty of reasonable little hotels. (My sister lives in London so--though I visit there regularly--I've not stayed in a hotel in years. But I do pass through Kensington a lot enroute to and from her flat--and that would be my choice.) No doubt others will have additional advice for you--but good luck and good trip. Joan

Old Sep 6th, 1997, 06:41 PM
JOAN DOYLE

Dear Mike: There are good and better parts of both areas but I myself would choose Kensington for its interesting shops and restaurants plus good transportation and plenty of reasonable little hotels. (My sister lives in London so--though I visit there regularly--I've not stayed in a hotel in years. But I do pass through Kensington a lot enroute to and from her flat--and that would be my choice.) No doubt others will have additional advice for you--but good luck and good trip. Joan

Old Sep 8th, 1997, 06:58 PM
Karen Harris

Mike - I would agree with Joan that all neighborhoods have their good and bad areas but you really can't go wrong with either of those. Kensington might be a little pricier but if you're persistant you can always find a good deal. Victoria has many small hotels and B&B's. There are other areas that are very good also such as Bloomsbury near the British Museum and Earls Court which is known locally as "kangaroo alley" because of the many Australian residents, and is a fun place with lots of ethnic restaurants and small shops. Have a great trip!

Old Sep 9th, 1997, 03:16 AM
Mike Miller

OK. I've found a nice hotel in Chelsea also in addition to Bloomsbury. What do you all think of that for a stay???

Old Sep 9th, 1997, 05:06 AM
Perry

Hi Mike. As a resident of London, perhaps I can help.
Victoria is really an area you pass through.
It has major railway station, bus stations and links
to Gatwick Airport, but does not have the 'village'
feel that other parts do. Kensington is great - if
a bit expensive: you have the museums, the shops,
the restaurants, street life, the parks and Kensington
Palace where Princess Diana used to live. Chelsea is
very nice - again a bit expensive. Bloomsbury is cheaper
but be careful which hotel you choose as there are
many establishments which are run down and not at all
pleasant.Have a great time!

Old Sep 13th, 1997, 08:10 AM
Karen Harris