Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What kind of women's coat for the weather in Jan/Feb in Paris, London, and Amsterdam?

What kind of women's coat for the weather in Jan/Feb in Paris, London, and Amsterdam?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:15 PM
Quinty

I am going in early February. I know it's supposed to rain a lot then and the average temperatures are in the 30s F. First of all, is this accurate?<BR>Is it really windy when it's raining? <BR>Will a heavy wool coat do? When paired with an umbrella? Or do I need something more geared toward rain (short or long)? Should it have a hood?<BR>I need to buy my coat sooner than later in order to have a good selection and would appreciate advice on what works for most women. <BR>Thanks!

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 07:23 PM
Sue

I would take my woolen winter coat that I wear here in Pgh. at that time of year. In March I've taken the equivalent of a lined raincoat, but late Dec-Jan., I was glad to have a heavier coat. I imagine Amsterdam will be the coldest of the cities.

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 08:43 PM
Jen

I heard it might be windy in those regions then. I am headed that way too. Any input?

Old Nov 27th, 2002, 09:41 PM
xxx

I don't suggest taking a wool coat because when it rains your coat won't dry quickly.<BR><BR>It'll be very cold that's for sure but look for a water repellent coat with a good lining. Not too bulky of a lining but warm enough. I wore my down jacket and sometimes I could still feel the cold air. A coat with a hood is handy too.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 12:44 AM
jen

You might get cold, rain &amp; wind, or you might get cold, sunny, less wind, or even cold, snow &amp; ice. I like a long wool coat in Amsterdam in February...when it's not raining. Forget the wool if it's the only coat you're taking; xxx is right. Stick with something water-repellent, whether it's a lined raincoat, a waxed coat, or a down jacket. A hood is handy but a hat with a brim is much more fun and fashionable (buy it in Europe if you can't find one where you live). For dry and warm nothing beats Gore-Tex. If you choose a short coat, pack a pair of silk long johns or thick tights; they don't take much room and you'll be so thankful if you meet up with chilly winds. Most important: bring a warm scarf, or better yet, buy one in Europe! Paris has the most fabulous huge scarves, decorative and still warm.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:01 AM
xxx

This thread brings up another question I have. Has anyone encountered hassles from wearing a fur coat in any of these cities?

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:17 AM
fur

Certainly not in Italy. We saw lots of them

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:36 AM
jen

xxx - In Amsterdam there is a reasonable chance that a fur coat will be pelted (sorry) with eggs or paint, but this seems to be happening less frequently since the anti-fur activists have recognized that it's getting harder to tell the difference between fake &amp; real fur. You may get invited into some pointed discussions, though.

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 10:23 AM
quinty

I ended up buying a Land's End squall jacket in black. I wanted to buy LL Bean's version of a british waxed coat, but they only have green or tan.<BR>It certainly won't look as good as wool, but it seems like it'll be a good versatile jacket. Any comments or experience with this type?

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Pauline

hi Quinty I think there is just one word for your coat WATERPROOF have fun x

Old Nov 28th, 2002, 04:12 PM
trixie

Don't pack it with other clothes, the &quot;wax&quot; comes off on everything.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 01:08 AM
jen

Quinty, we can't see you in it to give a final verdict, but I'd say excellent choice. Now a pair of low black boots and you're ready for anything.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 04:09 AM
Pat

I was in Paris during February, March, and April. I took a lined long raincoat and found that it was perfect for the weather. I agree with those who say NOT to take a wool coat. Do not forget an umbrella. Turtle necks and other warm clothes are important to take since it is damp and raining often. The French to not generally use as much heat as the Americans, and my apartment was often quite cool even with the maximum heat possible.

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 06:01 AM
ny

Quinty:<BR>I have been to Amsterdam and Paris in in those momths.<BR>I wore:<BR>Cotton Turtlenecks, warm sweater, 3/4 length water repellant coat with a hood, scarf, hat,gloves, lined wool slacks, warm socks and a ankle length low heeled leather boots. All proved to be just what I needed. Stops into cafes for hot chocolate and pastries helped too!!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:58 AM
quinty

THANK YOU ny.<BR>Those are exactly the kind of details I needed! Can't be too specific on this. After all, I am trying to pack light and want to get it right the first time.<BR>Thanks again!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 05:48 PM
ny

Quinty:<BR>MY Pleasure!! Have a great time. I love all three of those cities any time of the year!

Old Nov 29th, 2002, 09:51 PM
quinty

ny - did inclement weather have any effect on your schedule while you were there? Are there any planning tips I should keep in mind?