What kind of traveller are you?

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:48 PM
irisheyes

What kind of traveller are you?

Just curious about what Fodors regulars (and newbies) are looking for in a vaction. Some people take a vacation just to lie on a beach or by a pool all day & relax, some to be pampered in all-inclusive resorts, some to enjoy the culture (museums, castles, etc.), and some for adventure ( sports). What kind of traveller are YOU?

Mar 27th, 2002, 05:51 PM
MaryC

Definitely cultcha!! Love the museums, the expansive cathedrals, the soaring architecture, the language, the literary haunts, the people watching, seeking the resting places of certain folk (ie Oscar Wilde, Madame Curie), etc., etc..

Mar 27th, 2002, 06:00 PM
Rex

Yes - - "intellectual" here - - but hedonist, epicurean too - - good food good wine, places that are simply beautiful (Versailles, Linderhof, Villa Balbianello, Chateau d'Artigny, Hearst Castle, Biltmore) too.

Best wishes,

Rex

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:30 PM
C

The reason we always like to go to cities instead of villages or small towns is in order to see the churches,museums, galleries,music,theater! Some day when we have our fill of all that, we will venture out into the countryside, but for now, it is the history and culture of a country that appeals to us.

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:31 PM
c

Ooops! I forgot the shopping

Mar 27th, 2002, 07:46 PM
sandra

Definetely a hedonistic epicurean--and an architectural tourist (cathedrals, palaces, etc.) I think that's why Europe is my favorite destination...

Mar 27th, 2002, 10:00 PM

to the top

Mar 28th, 2002, 09:05 AM
Martha

Love the culture. Cathedrals, museums and such. But love walking and hiking to really see things close up and the beautiful scenery in the countrysides. Walked the entire Cinque Terra a couple years ago because the scenery was so great.

Mar 28th, 2002, 09:11 AM
Grasshopper

Experiencing other cultures, which I think is different from culture (museums, castles, etc.) I get my fill of museums and cathedrals pretty quickly but I never get my fill of meeting people and discovering what makes them tick. And the scenery is pretty darn amazing too.

I can sit by a pool at home. But a tan gotten on a sailboat in the Aegean is something different. Especially when it comes with caffe freddo at a waterside taverna, talking to Costas who is drying octopi on a clothes line.

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:22 AM
suzanne

What I like in a vacation:
*Beautiful Scenery
*Architectural and engineering masterpieces
*Great food & drink
*Remote places that most tourists don't get to see
*Walking/hiking/biking/kayaking
*A knowledgeable person to guide me, at least part of the trip
*I prefer small towns to cities

What I hate in a vacation:
*Sitting by a pool for more than 1 day
*Sitting on a beach for more than 1 day
*Shopping more than 1/2 hour per day
*Crowded tourist sites
*Large group tours
*Restaurants that tour groups visit

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:39 AM
pernille

Culture, art, wine, good food,spa vacations, beaches, tropical drinks, Disney World,big cities, small villages....But I do like a nice hotel!

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Travis

I am all about culture, getting right in to it and enjoying life how that country does, anything from food, history, museums, to talking with the locals. Suck it all in!! Oh yeah, I cannot wait to get back to Europe in May!!

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:47 AM
bettyk

I am definitely a scenery type. Love the mountains, lakes, ocean. That's why most of our vacations have been in Hawaii, Alaska, and Colorado plus Germany, Switzerland, and Austria. But I also have great appreciation for the arts and architecture so we have also done Paris, Amsterdam and Venice.

Mar 28th, 2002, 10:58 AM
Therese

Love it all, everything from museums to hiking to theatre to lolling by the pool waiting for somebody to bring me a drink with an umbrella in it.

I do find that great food is key to any successful vacation, and crowds (particularly crowds of tourists) can ruin them. Least favorite places I've visited ever: Venice and Disney World. Both lacked decent food and provided crowds in abundance. My second visit to Venice was a particularly cold and rainy March, which kept the crowds away, but the food was still mostly hideous.

Mar 28th, 2002, 12:28 PM
baglady

Combo... I love exploring the cathedrals and museums of Europe but also need one week a year on the beach in Anguilla. My husband-to-be-very-soon loves the exploration more than me so we compromised on our honeymoon. 4 days Venice, 3 days Rome and 6 days in Capri. Gotta have a bit of beach time. Can't wait. Have fun.

Mar 28th, 2002, 12:52 PM
elvira

For me, there are two sorts of vacations:

There's the laybythepool/holler for the cabana boy to refill the Mai Tais vacation - good for relaxing after a stressful period; good way to get to know someone or reconnect.

Then there's the goseestuff vacation - depending upon the location and/or my mood, that can be:

Museums - art, olddugup stuff, history, weird collections like hot water bottles

Castles and churches - I love the histories of these places; I search out churches not in the guidebooks and find some amazing architecture and art.

Natural wonders - from the highs like Northern Ireland's extraordinary seacliffs to the deeps like grottoes and prehistoric caves; great expanses of water, grass or sand; deep dark forests and sun-drenched plains; towering waterfalls and underground rivers.

Historic homes - like No. 1, London or the de Camondo house in Paris

Shopping - the soukhs of Morocco, the flea markets of Paris, the food markets of Italy.....and Harrod's.

Pilgrimages - the architecture of le Corbusier in Paris; famous murder sites (okay, this is one of my favorites); following in the footsteps of the Three Musketeers; the house plaques of London.

Just because - like taking a camel trek into the Sahara or driving a cabin cruiser around the Venice lagoon or hopping an overnight train to spend 2 days in Aberdeen.

Mar 28th, 2002, 12:57 PM
Shannon

My reasons are the same as Grasshopper's. While I love to see new sights, I get a real kick from being in the movie rather than watching it (to paraphrase Wolfe's Electric Koolaid Acid Test). I'm ON the bus!

Mar 28th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Capo

Culture. Primarily architecture, scenery, and just experiencing city/village life, as oppposed to museums.

I've done a couple of beach vacations, in Mexico, and they were enjoyable, but I probably enjoyed my visit to the fascinating cultural city of Guanajuato more than either of those beach vacations.

I like to relax on vacation, but prefer to see and learn.

Mar 28th, 2002, 02:08 PM
Bill

I enjoy the castle and museum thing for a short time, but eventually I like to get out and just wander around the towns or cities. Grabbing a stool at the bar and talking to some locals or just wandering through the markets seems to get me closer to the culture than a museum.

Bill

Mar 28th, 2002, 04:08 PM
Janet

There are adventures and vacations. For vacation, I love Hawaii, Carribean, Bermuda, Mexico. For an adventure, I love Europe. I come back refreshed after a vacation and need a vacation when I come back from Europe.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO