Friday night at the Vatican

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 11:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As is usually the case I'm a bit perplexed. I saw that the Vatican offers openings on Friday nights and did a little research. Walks of Italy has a guided tour for € 59. Tickitaly has what I assume are just entry tickets at € 26 and the Vatican appears to have entrance tickets for this event at €16. The only difference being (aside from one option being guided) is that directly through the Vatican you can not book for October yet . Could they all be offering the same thing at such different pricing. Am I missing something? Since our main interest is the Sistine Chapel I wonder how necessary a guided tour is? Thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance for any clarification on the differences here aside from one being guided.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 04:38 AM

Not necessary at all - why confine yourself to a herd of other people? On your own, you could go straight through to the Sistine Chapel, then see the other parts of the museum that you choose. I would expect tickets for October to be available in due course.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 08:51 AM

You can do that, but it will be crowded and will take a while to get back to the museum galleries. If there are works you want to see there, see them before heading to the Sistine Chapel.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. We would love to be able to spend some time in the Sisitine Chapel and not feel like we are on a schedule. Hopefully it will be less crowded than during the day if we go at this time. I understand you can stay until 10:30 p.m. and we are hoping that most people will be tired and be headed back to their acommodations by then. It also frees up our day as we don't have very much time in Rome.
I also wanted to be sure that I'm getting what I'm think getting with the Vatican ticket as I just had a major ruh roh moment with Trenitalia tickets. I seem to be a little website impaired on Italian sites. Wish me luck.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 09:37 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>he only difference being (aside from one option being guided) is that directly through the Vatican you can not book for October yet . Could they all be offering the same thing at such different pricing.<<<

Tickitaly is charging a fee to book your ticket for you on top of the Vatican prices. Walks of Italy is charging that plus a tour fee. Whether Walks of Italy is providing their own tour guide or simply processing your purchase and putting you with the Vatican's own tour I don't know.

Actual price Vatican Friday night ticket is 16€ (walk up price). If you book in advance on the Vatican's website they charge a 4€ booking fee so your total online would be 20€.

Tickitaly is adding 6€ on top of that which goes in their pocket.

The Vatican offers their own Friday night tours, but space is limited (especially for the English tour). The price is 30.50€ + 1.50€ for headphones (all tours in the Vatican require headphones). That makes the Vatican's own tour 32€ vs Walks of Italy tour at 59€.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Kybourbon- thanks. That is what I assumed but you know what happens when you assume. Nice to have it cleared up by an expert. When do you think they might release Octobers dates through the Vatican?