Search

Scotland itinerary - again!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland itinerary - again!

I'm back to planning my 2014 trip!
My travelling friend and I are spending six days based in Edinburgh. No car, but will do one or two day trips with Rabies.

Then we have eight full days for a road trip around Scotland. You've all been very helpful
in helping me figure out a general route so we have a variety and I want to ask a couple more questions.

The timing works out so that we could start our trip off at the Scone Castle Game Fair. Thoughts? Feedback?

We thought we could spend the morning there and then head to Banchory for an overnight. Glamis enroute if time permits or we are not too exhausted.

Day Two
Crathes & Gardens
Dunnottar
If time & we feel up to it - a look at Craigievar and/or Fraser (makes a full circle)
back to Banchory for overnight.

Day Three
To Culloden & Clava Cairns
Possibly Cawdor
Overnight: Sunny Brae in Nairn OR Bunchrew House in Inverness OR Dower House in Muir of Ord -- thoughts? feedback?

Day Four
Along Loch Ness to Skye
Photo stop Castle Urquhart

Day Five & Six - Skye

Day Seven
Skye> Lake Menteith via Glenfinnan/Glen Coe
Overnight Stirling area

Day Eight
Stirling Castle
Overnight Stirling again

Day Nine - to airport & home to reality.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice!
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks very nice - day one will be semi-difficult though. Edinburgh to Banchory via scone and Glamis will take about four hours just drive time. Scone is about a 90 min to 2 hr stop and Glamis at least two hours. So it will be a long but doable day. Every thing else looks good.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have no particular advice but am leaving next week for a very similar trip, almost the same itinerary. Looking forward to seeing others' comments.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Janisj -- and everyone else?

Would you skip Glamis and just head on to Banchory OR
stay somewhere closer to Glamis on the first night? (Was trying to stay 2 nights in one location, but if it doesn't make sense, it doesn't make sense?)

Any thoughts on the location of our stopovers or probable B&B choices? Nairn, Inverness or Muir of Ord?

Is Inverness to Skye doable in one day? I know it'll be a long drive. Anyplace enroute to stop for a nice lunch?

Thanks all!
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:13 AM

Um, thinking it's Rabbies, not Rabies. Be a bit difficult to obtain clients if you named the company after a deadly disease . . .

;-)
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:30 AM

Typo of the year....I'm in a fit of giggles here
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 07:59 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Is Inverness to Skye doable in one day? <<

Totally

>>Would you skip Glamis and just head on to Banchory OR stay somewhere closer to Glamis on the first night?<<

I think you can do Scone and Glamis and get to Banchory on the same day -- it will just be a long day. And I agree w/ trying to stay two nights to eliminate extra packing/unpacking/checking in/checking out. I definitely wouldn't skip Glamis. In fact, if it was a real time crunch, I'd skip Scone before eliminating Glamis. If it was me, I'd get an early start and get to Scone right at opening time. The gates open at 09:30. It takes about an hour from EDI which is the best place to collect your car. So I'd plan on getting to the airport by about 08:00-ish and on the road by 08:30.
Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Typo of the YEAR? Wow, I'm honored. And embarrassed.

Thanks Janisj! Yes, we plan on getting out wicked early that day. I had really hoped to catch some Highland games during our trip, but our schedule just doesn't work. I'd read other posts about how much fun the Scone Game Day was... so we'll see. If it's not what we hope, we'll just head to Glamis earlier.