Reload this Page >

What kind of hotel should I expect for $325 per night in Rome

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 12:44 AM
Darlene

I'll be there for a weekend. So far, I've yet to find a weekend rate. I was told that a weekend should be cheaper. I'll be there in early June. I want to be near the Spanish Steps.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 05:51 AM
Deb

For $325 you should have a fabulous room. Hotels in Italy can be very good for not alot of money. Try www.venere.it for a good selection of hotels. You should be able to get a nice double room for around $150 or so.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 07:09 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Darlene, For that money you can do very well. I would look at two options near the Piazza di Spagna. The Scalinata de Spagna is up the steps and harder to access but very nice. My pick would be the d' Inghilterra about a block from the steps in a great location. Have dinner at Il 34 close by.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 08:00 AM
Tom

Darlene: The hotel you are getting for 325.00 is one that is ripping you off big time. I remember what a gentleman told me on a train one day. We are here to milk the Americans. Enough said.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:41 PM
Mike

Check out the travel sites like innitaly.com and travel bureaus like cittravel.com.au and find more reasonable hotels. at $325, you're paying about $125 too much.

Old Apr 16th, 2001, 01:49 PM
Patrick

What are you people talking about? Without the information of a specific hotel or room, what kind of person could suggest that Darlene is being ripped off? If some three star place is charging here $325 then it is probably too high. But if she has been quoted a suite at the Hassler for $325 a night, she is certainly not being ripped off, and the location is exactly what she is requesting. Yes, there are cheaper hotels, but is that what you are looking for, Darlene? Or are you looking for a deal at a very deluxe property? There is a big difference between those two options. But to answer your question specifically, "A very good one!"

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 01:30 PM
Tim

I am sorry. <BR>I don't get it. <BR>Would could a hotel do for you that would be worth $325 a night? <BR>I am not trying to be rude, I really don't get it. Please fill me in. <BR>All I want from a hotel is it to be clean, quiet, good beds, and in a reasonable location.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 02:17 PM
coco

In addition to all of the above basic requirements, I view travel as an opportunity to be a part-time aristocrat! (Especailly a lot of fun when travelling with my friends who go in for part-time peasanting.) This is one way to see and experience much more than one would otherwise if travelling alone or only with like-minded sorts. <BR> Some of the nice touches would includes fabulous linens (the sheets @ Villa Serbelloni are such a fine linen they make Porthault feel like sack-cloth), luxurious towels and robes and slippers, fresh flowers in the rooms, often complimentary wines or liqueurs, fresh fruit and other goodies. A lot of chop-chop, service without asking. Three of my favorite pamperings are the heated marble floors at the Metropole in Venice, the Anick Goutal soaps/shampoos/lotions at Hotel du Louvre in Paris (NOT EVEN $325 a night!), and the way they washed and polished our car every night at the Splendido in Portifino. Are these worth the money? For me, YES!!!!!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:12 PM
Joanna

Tim, <BR> <BR>You say what you only require is a clean hotel, quiet, etc. Not everybody wants the same thing. Some travellers like to 'live it up' in luxury for a couple of days. For my Rome trip in 1996 I stayed at 2 hotels - 7 nights at the Hotel Cecil (about L130,00/night) and 2 nights at the Sheraton Excelsior in Via Veneto. One of those nights was free, the other we paid for (my friend had won a trip and some extras). It was quite an eye opener - in the lobby bar we sat near an Arab sheikh and one of his wives. We lunched on a smoked salmon sandwich and G&T for L50,000 each - very expensive, but we certainly don't do it every day. <BR> <BR>My point is that everybody has different requirements for their trips and I can sympathise with Darlene wanting a night or two of luxury.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 03:16 PM
buddy

well differnt strokes for different folks! I typically spend $250-$300/night on hotel rooms on vacation (especially in Europe where cheaper usually means smaller and further away!) <BR>I am not rich! this is my splurge for the trip. On the other hand, I can't stand gourmet food and would never eat at fancy or expensive restaurant (I'll eat McDonald's if is close by) Normally, lunch for me is $5-$7 and dinner $10-$12 including wine, tax, and tip but usually even less. I use the extra money I save on my room. I figure that I eat to live, not live to eat, but want plenty of comfortable amenties and space to relax in my hotel room after a long day of sightseeing! <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 04:33 PM
Tim

Ah, well yes, I can understand an occasional splurge! OK I can see that. Thanks. <BR> <BR>And you may have to pay a lot in Europe to get anything near as nice as a bottom of the line Motel 6 here in the states. <BR> <BR>I do splurge, but for me, going to Europe at all is a splurge! If I am looking to splurge on a hotel for the sake of luxury, it would probably be a different trip. I'd probably go for the Bellagio in (heaven forbid) Las Vegas. This hotel is top notch and gorgeous! (and a lot cheaper than most 3 star dives in Europe!) <BR>Hey if you have the money to splurge on a hotel in Europe...Go for it! <BR>

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:09 PM
Patrick

Tim, I agree with the posters above. We are not all alike. I am very proud of my home. I have very fine furniture. Everything is in its place. I am surrounded by a lot of very nice "things". I would not be happy leaving home in the morning with my bed unmade. This is not important to everybody. Some people are happy living in a place that is just "comfortable". It is the same with travel. To me travel is a luxury. Why travel and stay in places that are less comfortable than your own home? If you don't care, that's fine, but I require a lot more than just a place to put my head down and sleep. I'm sure I'm not alone as several of the above posts would indicate. I suppose that makes me "pompous" in your opinion. So be it. I really don't care what you or others think. Obviously, I could not be happy living as you do, and you would not be happy living as I do.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:35 PM
Lauren

For $325 I would at least expect gold plated faucets in the toilet. <BR> <BR>It is against my principles to pay more for a night in a hotel than I spent on airfare, and, if I suddenly became a zillionaire and had money to blow, I certainly would not brag about it on message boards.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:45 PM
richard

I remember checking into the Dorchester in London---it was amazing---there was a separate room service kitchen on each floor.....the sewing kits had all the needles already threaded---the bed was fantastic---the linens indescribable... the location was tops---it was luxury beyond luxury---and worth every cent!!

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 06:59 PM
Jerry

WE RECENTLEYU RETURNED FROM ITALY AND SPENT AN AVERASGE OF 350.00 A NITE--WE SPENT AS MUCH AS 700.00 IN VENICE AND OVERLOOKED THE GRAND CANAL AND ST. MARK'S SQ.---WE HADF A GREAT TRIP WITH INCREDIBLE SERVICE--I ROME WE STAYED JUST OUTSIDE THE CITY (5min) BY TAXI--AT THE ALDROVANDI PALACE---BEAUTIFUL--QUIET--INTERNET ROOM--GREAT SERVICE-- <BR>TAKE PRIVATE GUIDED TOURS AND=ENJOY?

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:14 PM
Jody

If ya got it , go for it!!we all need a little taste of luxery and being waited on.I LOVE IT . My home is beautiful and I love it and why should I take les when I vacation.

Old Apr 19th, 2001, 07:25 PM
TUT TUT

NOTE TO BUDDY. <BR>You say you eat to live not live to eat--Sorry Buddy but all those MCDonalds will not prolong your life or travel time!!!

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 01:44 AM
steff

You can stay in the santa chiara for a lot less... if you're trying to experience italy shouldn't it be about what's around you not who's around you? You can get a nice room for a lot less.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 03:19 AM
Elaine

Why is everyone so judgmental? It's her money, let her decide how she wants to spend it. You negative people sound jealous. Think about it...wouldn't you like to have enough money that paying $325 per night would seem acceptable? By the way, I can't afford that.

Old Apr 20th, 2001, 05:24 AM
mac

Actually, I'm grateful to both Darlene and Time for their questions. It was interesting to hear what hotels in that price range offer, and thanks to those who took the time to respond. <BR> <BR>The replies illustrate just how very idiosyncratic travel is. Everyone's definition of a 'splurge' is different; my splurge would be closer to $160 per night, but the principle of splurging is the same, even if the details are different. (As a student, I remember that a hotel, as opposed to a campground, was a splurge!) <BR> <BR>Darlene, when you come back, I'd enjoy hearing about your impressions of your hotel, even if it is above my own budget. Enjoy your trip! <BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -