Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

WHAT KIND OF CAMCORDER DO YOU USE IN EUROPE?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 08:58 AM
lynn

We try to buy a light weight small digital camcorder for our Italy trip next month. I found Canon ZR40 with 18 optical zoom but only use 110 votage. And manufacture suggests not use outside the US. That means I can't use a transformer. I check other brand such as Sony with only 10 optical zoom; and Panasonic are too big. It is only two weeks away from our trip. We realy need your help. Please give us any suggestion. Thank you.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 09:29 AM
surprised

This sounds highly unusual.<BR>It works on low voltage and comes with a transformer to charge the battery. As far as I know all these transformers are designed to work on both 110 and 220 and 50/60 Hz, so all you need is a little plug adapter. I suggest you take a trip to the closest store that sells them, ask to look at the transformer that comes with it and read what it says.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 10:35 AM
surprised

<BR>Lynn: Not to worry. I just downloaded the user manual for the Canon ZR40 from the Canon USA website and on page 10 it says:<BR>"The power adapter converts power from a household power socket (110 - 240 V AC, 50/60 Hz) to the DC current used by your camcorder".<BR>Here is the URL:<BR>http://www.canondv.com/downloads/manuals/ZR40_E.pdf<BR>So all you need is a little plug adapter (available at Radio Shack for about $ 1).<BR>I wonder who told you it wouldn't work... Maybe because manufacturers are tired of Europeans buying them in the US because they are cheaper there..?<BR>Enjoy your new camera and your trip!

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:28 PM
mjs

I use a Canon Elura 10 (the small one) without any problems abroad. Recommend two small size batteries rather than a large one. I would not worry about the size of the optical zoom unless you wish to take alot of tape of pigeons in the distance. Would prefer a wider angle zoom than more telephoto, especially for travel.

Old Aug 26th, 2002, 04:57 PM
Pablo

lynn -<BR><BR>I would recommend against the Canon ZR40. I bought this for one day to test it out - the resolution in low light is terrible. There have been reports of motor noise on the tape. I ended up taking it back. I looked at the Sony (DVR-17 or 18) and they seem like more for your money. BUT, the Canon is a lot simpler to use than the Sony - so it depends on what you're looking for: a better camera but not so intuitive, or a so-so camera that's practical. Do searches on google.com for reviews of the Canon and Sony.<BR><BR>Pablo