What it would take to get me to carry a computer when I travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you NOT carry a laptop, notebook, or pocket PC, but you'd like to if only...?

If so, please post your wants/wishes here. Many people have reasons that are non-negotiable, but please save those for another thread.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:24 AM

with Skype you can make free or practically free phone calls anywhere in Europe or the U.S./Canada.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:27 AM

A few reasons why I don't carry such a device:

* The extra weight and worry, particularly if I want to use public transport. Theft is one concern, but so is simply being careless and losing the device.

* The temptation to start working.

* Not feeling entirely safe if I leave the computer in my room, particularly if staying in a hostel, or even a hotel without a safe.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:38 AM

If you could eliminate my concerns about safety, security, and weight, then I'd consider it.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

I can't change your head. I assume you mean property theft. Safety and security are "eye of the beholder" quantities. If you mean data safety and security, all you need is education on how the pros do it.

As for the weight issue: my Compaq weighs about as much as 2 liters of water. If that's more than you can carry, <i>tant pis</i>.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:24 PM

I would carry one if I got it for free, it weighed one ounce, and it was as large as my thumb--but when I wanted to use it, it would expand to a full size keyboard and flat panel monitor with free connection to the internet.

I don't even lug two liters of water around, let alone something I wouldn't use and weighed the same as two liters of water. It's not a matter of &quot;can't carry,&quot; it's &quot;don't want to carry.&quot;

But if others like to have a computer with them while they travel, it's certainly no skin off my nose. Different strokes for different folks.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:29 PM

I would not carry around or as they say &quot;Schlepp&quot; a computer but an IPod with downloads of maps, language helps, conversion tools, a bit of music?
Robes, you have been a guru on those matter and you have made those things sound derned handy!
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
If there were free wireless internet access in all hotels and apartments, and if I had enough room in my carry-on luggage.

The one time I traveled that both those conditions were met in the year since I inherited my daughter's somewhat broken and outdated laptop, I brought it along and it was very handy.
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:35 PM
MaureenB

If free access to wireless internet was available worldwide! (And if I owned a laptop...)

We discovered how expensive internet access is, especially in Florence and other Italian cities.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:37 PM

I'm w/Rufus...I only take things I need on vacation, I don't need a computer in any form. Seems like another chance for Roby to talk about his 2 oz. whatchamacallit...that makes his bed &amp; does his nails for him as well...lol
Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:48 PM
ira

&gt;What it would take to get me to carry a computer when I travel&lt;

A threat of major bodily harm.

Old Sep 6th, 2006, 12:49 PM

I'm with MaureenB. I love my laptop and would travel with it more often for various reasons if it were somewhat smaller and I could easily hook up to wireless internet anywhere.

It would also be nice if I could just leave it in the carry case when going thru security. Just plop the bag on the conveyor belt and let her ride.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

For those of you who are waiting for a price point: check out this week's CompUSA ad. They're offering a Compaq 14&quot; notebook for $299.99 after rebate. It has built-in Ethernet, and for $25 you can have WiFi.

http://www.compusa.com
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:06 AM
wj1

I would carry a computer when I travel if I knew exactly what kind of computer to get.

Do I want a laptop, iPod, or who knows what?

That Compaq laptop looks good but what should I add to it to customize it properly?

I hate being a technology dufus. I think I need a 14 year old to bring me into the 21st century.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:19 AM

Initially, I want to say I'd carry one if it takes up no space and weighs nothing. But I just came back from a trip and not emailing or surfing the web for 5 days was really really refreshing to me. So, I guess I will never carry one.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:29 AM

I don't think I would ever trave with a full sized laptop (just too big and heavy) I can't imagine lugging around 2L of water - that is 2kg! But a very compact PDA/ipod with a good sized hard drive would be very useful for storing hotel into, train schedules, flight numbers, maps, downloading photos off of a digital camera, listening to music and sending emails.

On a side note . . . why is it that Americans use metric for absolutely nothing. But somehow 1L and 2L drink bottles have crept onto the scene?
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Neopolitan

As I've mentioned I took my laptop, newly carded for wireless to Europe this summer and met with very little success being able to log onto the internet. At the time, I just thought it was because it was in Europe.

So currently I'm in California where I've rented three different apartments all with wireless internet. Guess what. I could not log onto any of the three. Actally all three told me that I was connected, but I was unable to access the internet. I got messages like &quot;Cox
Communications is unable to register your computer at this time&quot; or &quot;unable to establish IDP address&quot;. I have spent hours on the phone with Gateway and with several servers with no luck. They have had me reconfigure things on my computer, remove firewalls, do various system restores, etc., and nothing has made a difference. And all three apartment owners have said no one else has any problems. I even erased the program for my wireless card and bought a different one -- installing that. I still got the same results.

Meanwhile, none of this has been a big issue since -- at two of those places I was easily able to log onto some neighbor's unsecured network. Here in San Diego I've been logged onto a network for the entire week (with a rather weak signal), yet still can't log onto the system that is set up in the apartment. In San Francisco I took my laptop to three different free WiFi cafes and it instantly logged on to all of them.

So why am I telling you all this? Despite the complications and problems, I really like having the laptop with me. I access local restaurants, make reservations, communicate with home, and of course, log onto Fodors a lot.

I'm just anxious for my next laptop which will be purchased wireless and perhaps not have these crazy problems that no one can figure out.

Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:19 AM
Original Poster

I think it's really funny that a lot of people who wouldn't consider carrying a one or two kg. subcompact computer think nothing of loading ten pounds of books, magazines, maps, guides, dictionaries, travel paperwork, CDs, MP3s, and phone equipment into their luggage.
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:40 AM

While there are people who will not think twice before lugging all the stuff Robespierre will them on trips, I do.

I thought about every single piece of stuff I carry on my trips, from luggage (I pay more to buy light-weight ones) to the model of music player and headphones (iPod nano and Shure E4c) to paper (I print hotel/car itineraries double-sided and throw them away enroute after they're not needed).

To me, even a small laptop is a lot of weight, and it's not just the laptop but the associated weigth (power supply, the larger suitcase or laptop bag that has to be carried).
Old Sep 11th, 2006, 10:49 AM

It would have to be a business trip or for some creative project that required my laptop to be on me.

That said, I used to never ever travel with my laptop, but then I upgraded to the amazing PowerBook G4 and because it has a great CD burner and downloading capabilities, I take it with me when I visit friends to get their CDs onto my iTunes and to make them mixes of any of my music. I also love to go to bars and discos that I like and get their music (most of them let me if there are not a lot of customers).

Even if I had nothing stopping me, I would not take a laptop on a trip with me. Then again, you are talking to the girl who spent a month in Morocco with only 3 pairs of underwear, 2 shirts and a pair of jeans and a pair of shoes. I travel light and cut it down to the barest of bare essentials. I would never consider a computer an essential.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -