Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your most memorable food experience? (Krispy Kremes notwithstanding!!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:15 AM
AllyPally

I have just finished reading the Krispy Kreme thread, which was very interesting and got me thinking about food and travel (indeed, in the UK we have magazine called Food and Travel - what could be better?)

What is your most memorable food experience and where was it? It could be as simple as eating a donut or in a fabulous Michelin star restaurant.

I have just had one recently. I just spent 3 days in Nice and read about Fenocchio's ice cream in Place Rosetti in various guides. Well, we went there every single day at different times of the day!! In the morning, at sunset, at night. They have so many flavours, even ones like Basil, Tomato, Bubble Gum.

What I really loved was the amazing French/Italian blend in the square, the DELICIOUS ice cream and the fantastic people watching. We didn't need to say anything to each other. Time stood still and it was just perfect!!

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:01 AM
AllyPally

ttt

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A massive bowl of piping hot mussels with a big plate of "frites" in a small restaurant in Bayuex

Warm bread rolls first thing in the morning in Paris/Venice/Berlin

but my best (not European, but what can you do)

... Easter Sunday, Miyajima island near Hiroshima. We picked up bread, salad and ham from a supermarket, sat under the cherry blossoms and had our Easter Sunday lunch: ham salad rolls, Easter eggs and bucks fizz. Best lunch of my life!

-- Viola
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:32 AM

The one experience that comes to mind would be a dinner my wife and I had in Paris about 12 yars ago. While my meal was absolutely fabulous (shell fish appetizer and PERFECTLY prepared lamb chops), what makes the meal memorable was the reaction my poor wife received after barely touching the large chicken dish she was served. The poor woman eats very little. This apparently caused an uproar and both the Maitre'D and the chef were so concerned that there was something wrong with the meal. I had to explain, in somewhat broken French, that the meal was fine and my wife's appetite, or lack there of, was the issue. To this day we still laugh about the event.

ps. I'm just finishing up a Krispy Kreme as I write this
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:37 AM

1. Our daily gelato or two in Italy.

2. Dinner in Sydney on our private terrace with incredibvle views of The Opera House and Harbour Bridge.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 06:46 AM
ira

Hi AP,

My most memorable food experiences:

Paris:
First time I ate dinner in Paris. Can't remember where or what. Just remember it was terrific.

My first croissant, back in the days when they were small and chewy.

My first ice cream.

My first pizza.

My first smorrebrod in Copenhagen.

Fresh herring in Amsterdam

My first dinner in Venice.

Knoedels in Vienna.

Bagels in Prague.

Wurst in Germany.

Real English bitters.

Enough, I'm hungry.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:11 AM

Ilove food, so I have a few favourites!

Louis IV restaurant in the hotel de Paris in Monaco - need I say more?! Even the selection of breads blew my mind!!

Choocolate souffle in Tom Moores Tavern in Bermuda - never again have I tasted souffle as good as that one!

The chip I had from my local chippy last night to reward myself for two weeks of dieting and eating rabbit food!!

Angela
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 07:17 AM

My favorite Soleilis "glace" in Arles-the pineapple tasted like biting into a pineapple. If I had stayed for any longer I would have gained 5 lbs.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 08:38 AM
AllyPally

The other one that springs to mind is the sticky black rice with warm coconut milk that i had for BREAKFAST in new zealand (sorry, know it's not Europe). The concept of rice for breakfast seemed so exotic but it completely worked!!

Also, french toast in Prague. But that was more memorable because I nearly dropped my fork when Demi Moore walked past!!

And my first bowl of Roman pasta - now I finally understood what good food was all about. The seafood was so fresh, i could still taste the sea. Certainly not a flavour that is easily found in restaurants in London....

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 09:12 AM

My most memorable dining experience had little to do with the food and everything to do with our waiter.

On our final night in Vernazza last year, we ate at Ristorante Belforte, the stone fort perched near the jetty. Our waiter, a very friendly guy from Volterra, wore a loose-fitting sweater which was rather fuzzy. When he came to remove our salad plates, he reached across the burning candle and the sleeve of his sweater caught fire. My girlfriend & I immediately lept up and batted the flames out with our napkins, averting what could have become something serious. I bet he'll never forget that either.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:09 AM

What a great question, AllyPally.

Mine would be:

1. My first evening in Paris, eating a hot crepe sprinkled with sugar and Grand Marnier while exploring the Left Bank by twilight.

2. Afternoon tea at the London Savoy with a friend who had never been to London before.

3. Enjoying a tankard of the most delicious white wine and hearty meal at the Augustiner Keller in Vienna. I shared a table with a group of locals and tried using my very remedial German on them, but they were very kind. At least I could tell them "sehr gut" about the food.

4. London dinner with a group of "Sloan Rangers" when I had my first taste of pheasant. The food was so-so but the company fascinating. Most of the evening was spent discussing polo, which I know nothing about. The presence of a rather attractive and flirtatious Englishman didn't hurt either. ;-)

5. Enjoying my favorite dessert - Princess Cake - while visiting my mother in Sweden. This is a yellow cream torte coated in marzipan. The taste is out of this world - Krispy Kremes, good as they, are don't even come close!

6. I have to include any time my Mom bakes her Swedish specialities, cardamom bread and fancy saffron rolls traditionally baked on St. Lucia Day in Sweden. This is always a special memory for me. Nothing like a mother's love, eh?

I think food memories are the most permanent of all, at least for me.

Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:24 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Sometimes I think the food memories are the best...

Limoncello in Sorrento
Belgian fries in the Markt in Bruges
Tomato, mozzarella and basil in Amalfi
Creme brulee in Paris
Dulce de leche gelato in Rome (Giolitti)
Pamplemousse Berthillon ice cream in Paris
Franco's pizza in Sorrento
Butler's Bailey's Truffles in Ireland

Any one of these things could really perk me up on a down day here at home!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:41 AM

Warm from the oven peach/apple tart topped with locally made vanilla ice-cream served at a lagoon-side outdoor "restaurant" in Painapo Beach, Moorea.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 10:46 AM

Warm egg/cheese/roll thingie from a small cafe next to Notre Dame in Paris. Melt-in-your-mouth, I was starving and we were in PARIS!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:13 AM

Rebecka, I beg you pleeeessse post recipes
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:21 AM

My family has wanted to visit Paris for many years but there was always a problem: no money, no time, children too small, broken leg, etc. December 2001 the airfares dropped very low and my wife threw down a challenge: let's go for Christmas vacation. Apprehension flooded my body but what the heck.

My family ( children at that time 9 and 11) arrived Christmas Eve in Paris and immediately took a cab to the Champs Elysee to have dinner. We found a very nice restaurant full of people enjoying the holidays and somehow were seated at a killer window table .

After our first of many great French meals I hestitatingly asked what we had just ate. The waiter started to prance around the table with his chest stuck out. Thank God someone at the next table spoke English and told us I had eaten chicken. Then the waiter motioned to my wife , conferred with the people at the next table and shocked my children forever by saying she had eaten Bambi.
My children's eyes have never been that big.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 11:23 AM

Sauerbraten with homemade mashed potatoes and fresh green beans at a little inn in Koblenz when I was 16. We had just come from London and Amsterdam where the food was really terrible and this simple meal was outstanding.

A trifle I ordered from Room Service at Claridges in London a few years ago. We had just checked in after an 11-hour flight. I still fantasize about that one!
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 12:20 PM

There are so many first times......

My first blueberry pie in a small diner in NY,

My first bbq sandwich in a small town in louisiana,

the first chinese food, also the first time that i used chop stick in a large restaurant in Taipei,

Mongolian bbq in Taipei

cocquille Saint Jacques in Avignon,

I should not forget the first time that i had a Banana Split in a military cafeteria in Munich.....

And the list goes on, but the memories of these first times will always be a part of my life.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:21 PM

The pea soup on top of the Zugspittze (sorry for the spelling), The scrambled eggs and onion in Zakopane after an over night train ride, the liter beer when I was 16 in the Lowenbrau keller in Munich....
Blintz every morning for breakfast in Vilnius for a week.
Sitting in the sand and drinking a bottle of Utenos looking at the Baltic...
Eating salted porkfat and drinking vodka with my very cousins in Sesone Lithuania.
Drinking a pint of Heinekin at night with my bare feet in the English Channel.
Old Aug 7th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Wow, another Foodie here !

There are simply too many to recount, but I'll give you a simple one : hot and flaky croissants, and tiny crusty bread buns/rolls aka 'ballons' together with churned butter and raspberry 'Hero' jam watching a spectacular sunrise in the Swiss Alps (I forget the name of the village we were in). Wonderful !

Rebeka : My niece recently became engaged to a Swede and one of the first things she learned to make was Princess cake ! It is a favourite of her future Father-in-law and has now become a favourite of our entire family. She makes it with the palest of green marzipan and decorated the top with a few burgundy berries. It is really light and simply delicious.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -