Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is your favourite Greek Food? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-your-favourite-greek-food-1176624/)

sarahcinderwood Jan 4th, 2017 01:40 PM

What is your favourite Greek Food?

We love experimenting with food. So I was wandering what was the best thing you tasted while in Greece and maybe where?

HappyTrvlr Jan 4th, 2017 02:02 PM

The grilled octopus is out of this world. On Paros, you sit by the water, looking at the octopus hanging in the sun. Also fresh fish brought by boat to the restaurant where it's grilled and topped with lemon juice and olive oil. Day after day, always outstanding, both of them. Served with a traditional Greek salad. It is worth traveling to Greece for these two dishes.

FuryFluffy Jan 4th, 2017 02:18 PM

Souvlaki! Meat/vegetables skewer that's sold on the street. But then it was the only thing I ate during my rush trip in Athens ^^

DebitNM Jan 4th, 2017 02:26 PM

Grilled sardines. Mmmm
Feta in anything thing
Greek yogurt with fresh peaches or other fresh fruit
Ouzo

spaarne Jan 4th, 2017 02:36 PM

<i> What is your favourite Greek Food?
Posted by: sarahcinderwood on Jan 4, 17 at 5:40pm</i>

Moussaka, with retsina of course.

jamikins Jan 5th, 2017 12:41 AM

Saganaki - fried cheese.

neckervd Jan 5th, 2017 12:50 AM

Kleftiko

ANUJ Jan 5th, 2017 01:33 AM

As a vegetarian - Souvlaki, Moussaka, Tzatziki, Chickpea or Bean Soup, greek yogurt with walnuts/honey, Baklava

crazyh Jan 5th, 2017 04:59 AM

Gyros, especially in Athens!

It's amazing how many different varietes there are of Feta cheese and olives. Compared to what we can get in the US it's a Feta & Olive paradise in Greece.

In addition there are so many options for Greek foood that it is impossible to list just a few, let alone one.

nickjonases Jan 5th, 2017 05:09 AM

Greek yogurt with honey and nuts served just about anywhere Oh and the moussaka too - what I called Greek lasagna. I loved it with eggplant. In fact I never knew I liked eggplant until I went to Greece. Now I know how much I like it done many different ways.

WoinParis Jan 5th, 2017 05:18 AM

Ouzo.

StCirq Jan 5th, 2017 08:04 AM

Grilled octopus and fresh fish and moussaka.

HappyTrvlr Jan 5th, 2017 09:02 AM

And the meat and vegetable pies(including spanakopita) served at breakfast.

littlejane Jan 5th, 2017 10:06 AM

Kolokithokeftedes (courgette balls!) either as a starter or one of a number of dishes as a meze. They normally come with tzatziki for dipping them in.

suec1 Jan 5th, 2017 10:29 AM

Grilled whole fish - so good! and we had fried eggplant multiple times - many different presentations. Many many other delicious options - enjoy!

globetrotterxyz Jan 6th, 2017 03:05 PM

Loved the tomatokeftedes in Santorini. They're fried tomato balls/fritters), usually served as an appetizer.

littlejane Jan 10th, 2017 03:54 AM

How could I forget baklava!