Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite restaurant in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2000, 07:16 AM
Tessa

I'm going to Rome in September and am seeking fabulous food. Does anyone out there have a favorite place? Please describe specific meals to me - I LOVE the details.

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 08:56 AM
Sebastian Ciotti

My favorite restaurant in Rome is Piperna. It is in the Jewish quarter, not from from the Synagogue. It is definitely not frequented by tourists, it is owned by a very well known Roman Doctor, and is reun by his wife Elizabetta. If you do happen to eat there, please remember to try the Pallini di mi Nonna as your desert. <BR>Buon appetito!!!

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 08:58 AM
Sebastian Ciotti

I misquoted the desert, it is "Pallinai di mi Nonno" with an "o", not an "a".

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 10:29 AM
Ed

Sebastian ... almost the same difference. "a" grandmother; "o" grandfather. 2nd generation recipe in any event. <BR> <BR>Our favorite is a very simple neighborhood restaurant, Ristorante Abruzzi. It's been a delicious value for over 30 years for us. Address and more info at www.twenj.com/romrests.htm <BR> <BR>If you'd like an extended discussion of some of our favorite meals, see www.twenj.com/romefood.htm <BR> <BR>Ed

Old Aug 7th, 2000, 04:26 PM
richardab

My 2 favorites in Rome are the Antica Taverna near Piazza Navona and the Antica Enoteca near the Spanish Steps. The Antica Trattoria is one of the great places you wander upon when you are lost. The Antica enoteca is a great place for a glass of wine and antipasti. They have a huge selection of different types of wine by the glass. This is a good chance to taste some of those you couldn't afford by the bottle. <BR> <BR>If you want to see pics and some more of my fav restaurants, including addresses, see my websight. Its not completely finished but the Rome path is nearly done. <BR> <BR>http://home.earthlink.net/~richardab/ <BR> <BR>Follow the path ENTER&gt;FLY&gt;EUROPE&gt;ROME <BR> <BR>I have lots of ideas, restaurants and pics on the sight. <BR> <BR>Let me know what you think! <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 08:19 AM
rswartz

does anybody know the telephone # for The Piperno restarount near the jewish quarter?

Old Aug 10th, 2000, 12:12 PM
nancy

For Rswartz, <BR>The # is 06.68806629 <BR>address Monte de' Cenci,9 <BR>Info is from the Gambero Rosso, Rome book. <BR>The book says the place enjoys a "solid" reputation, but they(authors of book) feel that the menu has gone "a little flat". <BR>It seems the menu stays the same. <BR>We might try it next yr. <BR>Anymore input on this place would be helpful. <BR>The book lists the dessert specialty as Palle del nonno, which translates into "grandpa's balls"!!! <BR>and is ricotta cheese based. <BR>Hope you enjoy it. <BR>nancy

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 06:24 AM
rswartz

Thanks Nancy. My wife and I are going in Sept. and will give it a try. Thanks again.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 02:11 PM
gb

You guys will get a chuckle at this one. Some Italian friends gave a tour of Rome, and wanted to take us to their favorite restaurant. We had wonderful expectations of mounds of homemade spaghetti, ravioli,salads heap with tomatoes. <BR> Well, did have wonderful food, but it was not Italian! Our friends took us to the Cantina Tirolese, a short diatance from the Vatican. We had wonderful Swiss and beef fondue, with a heaping plate of spaghetti covered with a delicious Swiss version of Alfredo sauce in an atmosphere filled with relics of Switzerland, Germany, and Austria. And dessert was just as wonderful with a rich chocolate Bavarian type cake.It was delicious, reasonably priced (I believe 8 of us ate dinner for $100.), and a little bit different in Italy.

Old Aug 11th, 2000, 02:25 PM
Sabrina

Re Ferdinando on Via Sardegna. Not far from the Spanish steps. The food is excellent.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:43 PM
Sebastian Ciotti

The Telephone numbers for Piperno are <BR>65.40.629 65.42.772 68.61.113 <BR>They are located at # 9 Monte Cenci. <BR>

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 03:45 PM
nancy

Sebastian, <BR>I guess phone #'s can change, but at least addresses do not!! <BR>(re: Piperno restaurant) <BR>That will be a lesson for us next yr. <BR>Use the telephnoe book! <BR>

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 04:01 AM
Betsy Thompson

I second Richard's response above on the Antica Teverna near Piazza Taverna. It's kind of hard to find, but we ate there three times on our recent visit, and I think our highest bill was $45 (thanks to the great exchange rate). Their caprese salad and spaghetti carbonara were wonderful. They were recommended by Scala Reale -- all their recommended restaurants that we tried we good but Antica Taverna was the best!

Old Sep 21st, 2000, 05:53 AM
Betsy Thompson

Obviously I'm still suffering from jet lag -- in the message above, I meant Antica Taverna near Piazza Navona.