Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what is your favorite place in paris to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:09 AM
Lara

I will be staying 3 nights in paris in mid-october fr my honeymoon (in addition to rome, florence and venice), and am finding it very difficult to pick an area to stay. I have never been to paris and was wondering where your favorite place is and why... <BR> <BR>Rue Cler? (I've heard it's daed at night here, but great during the day...Is this true? If it is, can you walk to nightclubs, bars, etc?) <BR>St. Germain? <BR>Latin Quarter? <BR>Marais? <BR>Help....? <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:24 AM
Surlok

At Rive Gauche, I do prefer the Faubourg Sant Germain, and would say that honeymooners would find the settings at Relais Christine very romantic. <BR> <BR>http://www.relais-christine.com/Engl.../index_ang.htm <BR> <BR>At Rive Droite, I'd choose the Pavillon de la Reine, in the Marais. They are sister hotels, and the settings are quite similar. <BR> <BR>http://www.pavillon-de-la-reine.com/...ne_accueil.htm <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 10:54 AM
john

i've stayed at the tim hotel lourve and it's great. everyone speaks english; it's right around the corner from the louvre (which you'll want to get to first thing in the am to beat the crowds) and there is a metro stop nearby. for the $$ it's well worth it (under $100/night). you'll love paris.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:25 PM
Olivia

I have to agree with Surlock about the Relais Christine. I was just in Paris a couple of weeks ago to visit with a daughter who was studying there and living in the Latin Quarter. We fell upon it while looking for a restaurant, I think on the same street, a very quiet one, by the way. It is smack in the middle of St. Germain de Pres and what struck me was the courtyard and garden in front of the hotel behind a wall from the street. I was nosey enough that I just walked right into the place and it was lovely! I even got a brochure to take to a travel agent friend for future referals, yes honeymoons! As I remember it cost about twice as much as the place where I was staying, which cost about $140 per night. I booked mine through smallandeleganthotels.com. check to see if they have this hotel on their list, because you can pull up pictures and rates from their sit. I see you must have some connection to UCLA. My niece just graduated from there in June! She was first in her class in high school (a class of 14 in a small private school) and thrived there!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:31 PM
Olivia

Lara, The hotel I just wrote about is not listed at smallandeleganthotels.com. I stayed at the Clos de Medicis as it was a quick trip just to visit my daughter. I was only three star--definitely not honeymoon quality. I am sure you will find the Christina somewhere on the net.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Angela

Just returned from Paris and stayed at the Hotel Madison, a 3 star hotel on St. Germain Blvd. It was wonderful, 1300 francs for the deluxe double, which included a complete breakfast buffet. The staff was wonderful and the location in St. Germain de Pres was fantastic. Brasserie Lipp, Cafe Flore, and fabulous boutiques are all in walking distance. Enjoy your trip

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 03:46 PM
Lara

Thanks for the advice so far, everyone! If I could possibly get more infor on your favorite area, in addition to hotel suggestions...I would be most grateful!! <BR> <BR>By the way--it seems like paris along the seine is not a very large area?? can you walk from the Eiffel Tower area to Notre Dame in less than an hour? If so, it doesn't seem like ther is a "bad" place to stay in the heart of Paris, "non?" <BR> <BR>Olivia--yes! I am a graduate student here at UCLA...very observant!! Congrats on your niece's graduation! I also reveived my B.S. here in 1997. Will HOPEFULLY be done with the PhD in a couple years It's a great place!

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 04:30 PM
Surlok

Lara, <BR> <BR>You could walk from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame in about one hour or less, but as far as you don't window shop, or facade watch, or Seine wonder. Is hard to walk straight ahead in Paris.. Everything is so fascinating. <BR> <BR>I wouldn't recommend you staying in the 7eme, or in Les Invalides/Tour Eiffel neighborhood. Too quiet and residential, unless you don't care for night clubs and bars. <BR> <BR>The most central area, in my view, is Saint Germain; Tour Eiffel, D'Orsay, Latin Quarter, Notre Dame, Ille de St. Louis, Louvre, and the Marais, Beaubourg and Place des Vosges will be all walking distance, if you're a good walker, and the weather is nice. Otherwise, a romantic hotel close to a handy metro line/stop would be adviseable. <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 05:41 PM
Nancy

Lara, dear, you had best book your Paris accomodations forthwith. October is a very busy month and the most popular and most recommended places are pretty much booked up. There are plenty of places to enjoy a cocktail in the rue Cler neighborhood. If nearby nightclubs are important to you, pick another neighborhood.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Marsha

I always stay somewhere near the Luxembourg Gardens: the 5th or the 6th arrondisements. Many of the threads in this forum mention wonderful 2 or 3 star hotels in this area. I most recently stayed at the Hotel Abbatial St. Germain and was very pleased. All areas of Paris are accessible by using the Metro and walking. Even Versailles is a short train ride from these arrondisements. Don't be afraid to use the Metro or the RER - they are very safe in most areas.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 08:52 PM
wendy

Just got back from George V from a 2nd visit in 6 months. It's great. What a gorgeous hotel. It's in the 8th arr.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 04:14 AM
Russell Wayne

Book A.S.A.P. since Paris fills up very quickly. Three stars are fine if small rooms are O.K. Otherwise four or five star hotels will be needed. Three stars will run 100-200; four and five stars several times that. Relais Christine is excellent at 275-350 a night. The Hotel Madison at half that price is a better value. (www.hotel-madison.com). Both are in the Sixth Arrondissement, which offers less crowding than the Ile St. Louis, more polish and the Marais, and a wider range of possibilities than most other areas. Here are some other hotels to consider: <BR>*Hotel St. Germain-des-Près 30 rooms <BR>36 rue Bonaparte – 6e <BR>double-1020, deluxe-1350 (breakfast, 75ff per person) <BR>website: www.hotel-st-ger.com/hotel-st-ger/index2.htm <BR>fax: 011-33-1-40-46-83-63 <BR> <BR>*Hotel Dauphine St. Germain-des-Près 30 rooms <BR>36 rue Dauphine – 6e <BR>double-1090 (breakfast, 91.80 per person) <BR>website: www.dauphine-st-germain.com/ <BR>fax: 011-33-1-43-26-74-34 <BR> <BR>*Hotel Le Regent 25 rooms <BR>61 rue Dauphine – 6e <BR>double-1150 (breakfast, 60 per person) <BR>website: www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75006regent.htm <BR>fax: 011-33-1-40-51-05-07 <BR>============================================== ====== <BR>Hotel Prince de Conde 12 rooms <BR>39 rue de Seine – 6e <BR>double-1028 (breakfast included) <BR>website: www.webscapades.com/france/paris/conde.htm <BR>fax: 011-33-1-46-34-27-95 <BR> <BR>Hotel de l’Odéon 29 rooms <BR>13 rue Saint Sulpice – 6e <BR>double-1050 (breakfast, 58 per person) <BR>website: www.myhotelinparis.com/hotels2/056.htm <BR>fax: 011-33-1-43-29-97-34 <BR> <BR>You may want to make a list of hotel possibilities, then fax two or three at a time. I find this technique most useful when time is short. Once you find space, book it pronto, usually giving a credit card number to hold the reservation. Sometimes I've had to go all the way down my list before finding space. <BR> <BR>Upon arrival, take the Bateaux Mouches (sightseeing boats) for your introduction to the city. Many of the major sights can be seen from the boats. Then make a short list of what to do with the rest of your time. For overall views of the city, you could consider the Eiffel Tower (but lines and waits are long), Tour Montparnasse or Sacre Coeur. The Louvre may be a must, but in an hour or two you won't be able to see much. Go to the Musee D'Orsay instead. See a street market. The Rue de Buci is in the Sixth. Or go to the Rue Mouffetard, 15 minutes away in the Fifth. An easy day trip is Versailles. Well worth seeing. Also possible is Giverney, Monet's home and gardens. A special restaurant recommendation: L'Ami Louis, possibly the best bistrot in the world. An unforgettable experience. Roast chicken, roast beef, steaks, leg of lamb, and every other thing that will keep your cholesterol high. Wonderful, but not fancy. Have your hotel book a.s.a.p. There are many shops and restaurants in the Sixth. For Department Stores, go to Galeries Lafayette and make sure to see the stained glass dome from inside the first and second floors. More questions? Let me know. <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:32 AM
Trojan

Lara, <BR>As you know, Trojans are so generous that they will help even a Bruin in time of need. Actually, its all been said, but for my money, I'd go with the Marais or St. Germaine. Both have nightlife, are centrally located and have a wide variety of hotels. Personally, I'm a Marais fan. I like the fact that it is lively on the main boulevards but quieter within a few blocks, where most of the hotels are located. <BR>Your cross town pal at SC

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Lara

Too cute Trojan <BR>You know, I just love our rivalry...my best friend has 2 degrees from USC, I am working on my 3rd from UCLA. As we get older, our comments get much tamer Thanks for the advice! <BR> <BR>So I think I'll definitely be looking for someplace in Marais or St. Germain. Some of the hotels suggested look awesome...unfortunately, we will be in Europe for 2 weeks, and are looking for $150 and under Bummer. Has anyone used any of the Rick Steve's suggestions for hotels?? <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:04 AM
Katherine

Lara, <BR> <BR>In Rick Steves video on Paris he stays at a small place in Rue Cler that has a shared bathroom and is just under $100. We tried to get a room there on a quickie bargain trip and couldn't get in. I did find something in the same area that I actually liked very much which had a very nice bathroom. It was Relais Bosquet (has a website but I don't have the link... if you're interested email me and I'll find the phone numbers for you). It was under $100, had a very nice staff and comfortable rooms. The special surprise was we could see the Eiffle Tower from our beds! At night it was fun to watch the lights sparkling. I think it's a lovely quieter neighborhood. I've stayed in the Latin Quarter several times and have given it up. Way too noisey, even at 3 or 4 am. And much pricier than Rue Cler. It's an easy walk or metro ride to anywhere in Paris.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:05 AM
Karen

Russell- have you stayed at the Prince de Conde or Hotel de l'Odeon? I have to decide between them for my next trip. The others that you starred are already booked. Also a possibility is the Bretonneire (Marais) or La Relais du Louvre (1st), but I'm leaning toward staying in the 6th. Any input would be appreciated. <BR>Thanks.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 06:13 PM
Wendy

I have to agree totally with Surlok. We have stayed at the Relais St. Christine many times, and always enjoyed it. It is a real oasis- charming rooms, great staff, and unbeatable location, one block from Rue St. Germaine. I would also not hesitate to stay at Relais de la Reine in the Marais, which is one of our favorite sections of Paris. There's lots of interesting galleries and boutiques there, as well as the Picasso Museum. My one complaint if I have one with the Relais St. Christine is price. In mid July-early August, which is when we tend to go, a room runs about $375/night and up.

Old Aug 12th, 2001, 09:31 PM
Surlok

Lara, <BR> <BR>There are some nice hotels whose rooms won't cost you more than 100/120 US$ per night. A few are 3 stars, most are 2 stars: <BR> <BR>Hotel du Globe - no lift- but very roamntic, and excellent location <BR>http://www.jack-travel.com/Paris/Par..._in_paris_.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel du Globe, 15, rue des Quatre-Vents, 6th arr. 0143263550 fax 0146331729. <BR>A nice building of the 16th century houses this charm hotel with this oak beams and stonewalls. Here the ambiance is medieval with the old stonewalls. The rooms with beamed <BR>ceilings have their particular atmosphere, but I have a preference for no.1 (baldachin bed) and no.15. TV and phone in every room. 375 FF for a double with shower and WC, 480 FF <BR>bath with WC <BR> <BR>from: http://webcenter.travelocity-dest.ao...C25769,00.html <BR>Hôtel du Globe <BR>15 rue des Quatre-Vents <BR>Paris 75006 <BR>Phone: 01-46-33-62-69 <BR>fax: 01-46-33-62-69 Price Category: Inexpensive <BR>This 17th-century building occupies an evocative street in one of Paris's oldest neighborhoods. Inside, you'll find most of the original stonework and dozens of original timbers and beams. Each room is decorated with individual old-fashioned flair. There's no elevator (you have to lug your suitcases up a very narrow, antique staircase) and no breakfast area (trays are brought to your room). One tip: The rooms with a tub are almost twice as large as those with a shower stall, so for the extra expense you'll get a lot more than just better plumbing. The largest and most desirable rooms are nos. 1, 12 (with a baldaquin-style bed), 14, 15, and 16. <BR>The room without a bath is a single at 270 F. Mattresses were each custom-made for this hotel, and configured to fit the hotel's inventory of odd-sized but comfortable beds. Towels are relatively thin. <BR>450-530 F double. 15 units . TV TEL. Credit Cards: MC, V. Métro: Mabillon, Odéon, or St-Sulpice. Closed 3 weeks in Aug. <BR> <BR>http://www.hotelsparisonline.com/eng...obe/hotels.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel Familia (Quartier latin- no lift) <BR>http://www.123france.com/europe/fran...s/hofamius.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel de Suede (7eme- nice location) <BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...ede2.htm#tarif <BR> <BR>Hotel Duquesne (7eme) <BR>http://cybevasion.com/hotels/france/...fel/index.html <BR> <BR>Hotel Muguet(7eme) <BR>http://www.123france.com/europe/fran...s/homuguus.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel de Lille (7eme, nearly at the border of the 6eme) <BR>http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h75007lille.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel Jardin de L'Odeon (6eme) <BR>http://www.cybevasion.com/hot/france...sentation.html <BR> <BR>Hotel Le Clement (6eme) <BR>http://www.123france.com/europe/fran...s/hoclemus.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel Minerve (5eme- Quartier latin) <BR>http://www.123france.com/europe/fran...s/homineus.htm <BR> <BR>La Tour Notre Dame (5eme- Quartier latin) <BR>http://www.1stparishotels.com/hotels/Tour_Paris.htm <BR> <BR>Hotel Danube (6eme)- in my view, your best bet because of location_ Rue Jacob- more centrally located, impossible! <BR> <BR>http://www.hoteldanube.net/hten/Page2.html <BR> <BR>You shall find an available room, in your price range. <BR> <BR>Good luck, <BR> <BR>Surlok <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Mr. Go

Right smack dab in the middle of town, on the Ile St. Louis. There are a couple of reasonably-priced hotels right on the main drag. OK, the rooms are a little small, but the water pressure at the Hotel St. Louis was the best of any European hotel I have ever stayed at. <BR> <BR>A location like that puts you in walking distance to 90% of everything you want to see...and 30 yards from the best ice cream on the planet!

Old Aug 13th, 2001, 09:46 AM
janice

Yeegads! if you haven't booked yet, you'd better get to it. I'll be in Paris in early October and we got our 14th choice hotel. (happily, there are lots of nice hotels in Paris) Many many of the hotels mentioned in earliest posts were booked solid the time that I'll be there. October is a busy month for conventions, and for spring pret a porter - hop to it, girl! ;-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -