What is your favorite Europe memory?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One of mine is floating in the blue-green water of Capri on a hot summer day.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:42 PM

Bicycling along the Damme Canal north of Brugges early in the morning as the mist was rising off the water.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 06:45 PM

Drinking wine and eating camembert baguettes at the Canon Gobelins cafe every night in Paris for a week, watching the world stroll by.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

wonderful.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:40 PM

The Roman Colosseum by night, when kindly old ladies bring food for all the stray cats.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM

sitting on pont neuf watching the sunset on Paris and lights coming up...it was the last night in Paris on our honeymoon!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM

Too many to pick just one! But the first time I walked up the stairs and saw the stained glass glory of Sainte Chappelle in Paris stands out...

Short related story -- first time there we didn't notice the stairs at first. Thought it was just the first floor chapel and needless to say, were a bit disappointed at what we'd hoped would be "stunning stained glass" in the windows. Almost left without climbing to the second floor!
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Getting lost along the Loire and seeing two black swans.
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 08:59 PM
yk

Inside Sistine Chapel seeing the amazing work of art, wondering "how could this be humanly possible?"
Old Mar 10th, 2004, 09:44 PM
Original Poster

... in Pompeii and imagining I was alive 2 thousand years ago walking down these same streets.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 05:57 AM

Just the pleasure that I can go some times...the anticpation of the trip and the "POOF"...I'm there. Those first few moments out of the airport...
Then specifically a host in a tavern in a town called Chagny in the Cote d'or, the epitome of grace, charm, wit and kindness. 14 hungry people he didn't know were coming dropped in. The best food I ever ate; hunger is great sauce!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:05 AM

Crossing the Pont Alma, no one else there but myself & my (adult) daughter and we were facing the Eiffel Tower. Just at that moment, the light show began. It was magical. We literally jumped up & down with joy!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:16 AM

Hiking the desolate mountains of Switzerland!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:18 AM

One of many:

Standing in Hyde Park on a foggy Spring morning, the park is empty. I hear a pounding sound and look around and coming behind me is a Queens Guard on his big black horse..out for an exercise run.
He waved his riding crop at me and just galloped past, into the fog.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:25 AM

Walking around near St. Marks square in Venice in the early morning before the tourists take over and just watching the mist on the water and the empty gondolas rocking against the wall.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:33 AM

One of my favorite memories in Europe is of a dinner we had in a small restaurant in Florence, near Santa Croce.

We were there visiting our daughter, who was studying in Florence. It was one of those Mom & Pop restaurants where you just feel like you are being welcomed into someone's home for dinner with the family.

We had a delightful conversation with our waiter, who basically took us under his wing-- helped us with our fumbling Italian, brought us a fabulous meal including some items that weren't even on the menu, then the perfect after-dinner drinks-- one thing for the "papa" and another for the "mamma".

He ended up bringing out the entire family to introduce them to us, including his handsome young son to introduce to our daughter!

We felt completely enveloped by the warmth and friendliness of the people and the place-- we had experienced Italy at its best!
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 06:49 AM

Excellent thread! Please keep it up, and keep it to only one memory (I'm loving how that's working out so far).

For me (out of the 6-way tie for first place), I have to go with that first time I walked across the bridge and into that Oz called "Venice." And muttering "look at this" every 10 steps or so.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 07:06 AM

Arriving in Vaison-la-Romaine late on a Tuesday night, tired,cranky,and hungry, with just a little cash and still rattled from trying to maneuver our 4x4 through the narrow streets of the Haut Ville, where we were staying.

Most restaurants were closed. As we wandered about aimlessly, a bit dazed by hunger, a very friendly dog approached. We followed him down the hill where we found a pizzeria that was still open.

We went in and the host asked "Table for three?" I said, "No, just two." He looked aghast. "But Madame, what about your friend?" he asked, pointing to the dog.

The dog followed us and spent part of the meal under our table. We had just enough cash for some very good wood-oven pizzas and pichet of rose.

Afterwards, the three of us--me, my husband, and the dog--walked back to our chambres d'hotes. The town was quiet and beautiful. The dog stayed under our window for quite some time, greeting all passers-by.

The next morning, he was gone and we didn't see him again during our stay, which made me a little sad.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 01:44 PM

First day in Ireland, cloudy and "soft". At the Cliffs of Moher, the fog gently drifting in and out, slowly exposing the Cliffs and then hiding them again. The whole time we could hear softly played trad music, filtering up to us. Lovely, just lovely.
Old Mar 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

what great experiences!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -