Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your Favorite Driving Itinerary?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 10:18 AM
Lynne

Hi, we're planning a trip to France this September. We would love to rent a car and drive though the countryside, north, south, east or west, we have no clue (first timers). We have two weeks and would like to spend at least 3-4 nights in Paris. I would appreciate your favorite itineraries. Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:18 PM
Jinx Hoover

Lynne, there are several choices. One would be Normandy (Fougeres, Ginan, St. Malo, Mont-St-Michel, Villedieu, Ste-Mere-Eglise, Bayeux, Caen, Arromanches, Omaha Beach, U.S. Cemetary at St. Laurent, Honfleur, Rouen, and Giverny). Another would be south (Loire chateaus, Chartres, Oradour-Sur-Glane, Sarlat, Beynac, Albi, and Carcassonne). Still another: Provence (stay in Arles, Avignon, Uzes, Pont du Gard, Les Baux, St. Remy, Isle-Sur-La -Sorque, Bonnieux, Lacoste, Roussillon, Gordes, and Orange). Those would be my suggestions for a 10-day driving tour. Jinx Hoover<BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR><BR> <BR>la-Sorque, Roussillon

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 12:50 PM
Joe

Lynne: What Jinx said above! Three lovely areas. On the the first one, I believe Ginan should be Dinan (an absolutely wonderful village) and in that case, along with St. Malo, you are into Brittany as well as Normandy.

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:02 PM
Lynne

Thanks for the thoughtful replies, but what if I had to pick one? What's the best for our intro to France? We love to eat, love little towns, and love sightsee?

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 04:10 PM
Jinx Hoover

Lynne, if you must pick one, the Provence tour would be a good introduction. Then you could see the others on future trips! And I would spend at least 4 nights in Paris. And YES, forgive my fingers--it should be Dinan. Regards. Jinx Hoover

Old Jun 3rd, 2002, 08:18 PM
Ron

We like to get to Albi, through the Dordogne or Bordeaux, ten across to Provence--either through the Tarn Gorges or through Languedoc. September is a great month.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:02 AM
Sue

Lynne, we did a 15 night driving tour from Nice to Paris via Provence, Carcassonne, and Dordogne, with 4 nights in Paris. I started a trip report on this and as soon as I can find the silly thing again I'll bring it up and finish it and you can judge for yourself whether a similar speed and itinerary is right for you. <BR><BR>If you enjoy 'rally' type driving, there are some 'white' roads (as depicted on Michelin type maps) that are fabulous, particularly in the south central part of France, particularly between Carcassonne-Albi-St. Cirq la Popie. Be sure to get a stick, much more fun (and cheaper) than auto.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Lynne

Sue, I'll be looking forward to your report. Sounds like a great trip. Did you fly into Nice and out of Paris? Thanks for the information.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 02:52 PM
TravelDude

Plan to travel after mid-September, if you can. Prices takes a dive after that date and another dive in November. You could spend your entire vacation in Paris. If you have enough time, you can lease, not rent, a car and get a better auto at a lower cost than renting. The catch is that you must lease the car for at least 17 days and that could be a problem on a short trip. Renault does the leasing in France. Other European auto makers do it for other locations. As for the itinerary, French roads are good, but gas and tolls are higher than in the US, so be aware. Depending on your time and preferences, I suggest that you see the southern part of France, inc. Nice, parts of Provence, and even Languedoc (west and south of Provence). Wonderful adventures and who cares if you get lost? It's not as if you're in Antarctica. The farther you get from the cities and into La France Profonde the more you'll see France and how very cordial and hospitable the French are. Do some good research before you go, and Bon Voyage.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Ron

I have two driving itineraries from Paris to Nice I'd be happy to share, plus whatever advice I may be able to offer. The tendency is to try and cover too much ground, so route planning is important.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 05:43 PM
Merrir

Lynn,<BR>We did the first two legs of Jinx's tour after three days in Paris (didn't stop in all the cities but...) - it was great and doable. Just a couple of outstanding highlights - the American Cemetary (met a 70ish native male who invited us to his house for drinks and mapped out the next two days of our trip!), Villedeux is a MUST (hotel Sainte Pierre $40 USD a night and a 4 course wonderful dinner for two with wine for $42 USD), Mont St Michel, church in Chartes (especially at sundown) - and when you're back in Paris don't miss Versailles!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 03:47 AM
Sue

Lynne, I hope you are of the same turn of mind once you actually see the report! It turned into a rather lengthy tome – the words just seemed to run away from me like wild horses hitched to a troika, and I couldn’t seem to find the brake. : - ) Yes, we flew into Nice and out of Paris.

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 01:05 PM
Lynne

Thanks to all for all the great advise. Sue, I just printed your review and can't wait to read it. We are thinking of flying to Nice, taking two weeks and renting a car, making our way back to Paris with 4 nights left over. Thoughts on home bases, and hotels would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 02:58 PM
John Burkus

Hi: Absolutely nothing beats staying in B & B's and seeing Avignon, Aix and the hilltop villages such as Gordes, Roussillon and Bonnieux to the East of Avignon.<BR>John B.