Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite city in Spain and why?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 03:36 PM
Suzette

If you could only visit one city that really represents Spain which would it be?

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:21 PM
Maira

Salamanca, without a doubt or hesitation. <BR><BR>One of the most beautiful, interesting, cosmopolitan cities I've ever been to. My first impression of the city left me breathless and how could you not? There is the most gorgeous architecture, buildings facade in plateresque style, with exquisite details, made with this material that glows a golden tone at sunset. It blew me away. <BR><BR>The sights are worth taking your time to explore in depth. The Roman Bridge still heavily used (any engineer would agree with me in appreciating the sign next to the adjacent newer bridge &quot;Attention, Trucks over 18 tons use the Roman Bridge.&quot; it cracked me up).<BR><BR>Salamanca is also a University town; probably has some of the best universities in Spain. Loved so many things about this city.<BR><BR>P.S. Seville is a close second. The tie breaker was a statue to Lazarillo de Tormes near the Romam Bridge in Salamanca. Lazarillo, a book written in 1554, was one of my favorite books growing up.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 04:35 PM
Maribel

Suzette,<BR>Couldn't possibly name one favorite! It's 5, all the S's.<BR><BR>Santiago de Compostela<BR>Sevilla<BR>San Sebastian<BR>Salamanca<BR>Segovia<BR>(in no particular order)

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:11 PM
maria

Santiago De Compostela<BR><BR>I loved the cobblestone streets, the huge plaza which hasn't been comercialized with outdoor cafes and the awesome Cathedral.

Old Nov 6th, 2002, 06:20 PM
Rex

Maira:<BR><BR>Of the hundreds of outstandingly good post I have read from you, this one may be at the top. How eloquent.<BR><BR>And this one has one of the best chances of influencing travel plans in my immediate future.<BR><BR>Thank you... and as always...<BR><BR>My very best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:44 AM
Sally

ttt<BR>anymore? I am planning a trip also....

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 07:53 AM
cooter

two different questions, I think.<BR><BR>If I could only visit one city that really represents Spain, it would have to be Madrid. It's the capital, after all, and all of Spain is represented there. <BR><BR>As for my favorite, it's impossible to choose. Santiago de Compostela is up there (for the same reasons as everyone else) plus La Coru&ntilde;a, Segovia and Logro&ntilde;o. San Sebastian is wonderful as well.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 11:25 AM
Graziella

Hard to choose,<BR>if it has to be only one,<BR>Salamanca could be it.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:51 PM
up

topping, for Suzette<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 02:26 PM
Maira

Rex, thank you so much for such kind words. I often wonder if anybody really reads what I post. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. <BR><BR>I believe Spain in high up in your travel plans. Have a great time planning!!

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 02:43 PM
Suzette

Thank you all for all your help. Maira and Rex I value your opinions. Spain is so big and we are in the prossess of making a itinerary. I will post again after wards to see what you think of the plan. Right now we are leaning toward.....<BR>Barcelona 3 days<BR>Madrid/Toledo area 4 days<BR>White Hill towns 4 days<BR>Somewhere on the beach 4 days<BR>Seville 4 days <BR><BR>Thanks everyone....<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 06:37 PM
Rex

You're very welcome, Maira. And thanks for the remarks, Suzette.<BR>

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 05:33 AM
Cervantes fan

Maira,<BR>And remember how the city of Salamanca cast its spell on Cervantes: A quotation from one of his most well known Novelas ejemplares:<BR><BR>&quot;Salamanca, que enhechiza <BR>la voluntad de volver a ella a todos los que de la apacibilidad<BR>de su vivienda han gustado&quot;<BR>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp ; El Licenciado Vidriera, Cervantes<BR><BR>

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:55 AM
frank

ttt

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 08:59 AM
barb

I'm partial to anything with water - hence Barcelona and San Sebastian top my lists. Also liked seeing all of Gaudi's buildings in Barcelona. Spain was pretty amazing everywhere we went - Pamplona, Madrid, San Sebastian, Bilbao - a bit disappointing except for the museum.

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:13 PM
danny

Seville is my favorite...

Old Nov 8th, 2002, 01:32 PM
Bill

santiago...but probably because we &quot;did&quot; the pilgrimage from the French border with 5 strangers who ended up being lifelong friends. I say &quot;did&quot; because we only walked 10-15 miles per day over a 10 day period and were transported intermittently. Seeing the spires from the Mount of Joy and walking into town was a thrill.

Old Nov 10th, 2002, 06:10 AM
Myer

Maira,<BR>I'm just starting to replan last year's aborted Spain trip and now you've put a monkey wrench into it.<BR><BR>Salamanca? And not only that, it appears on many other's lists as well.<BR><BR>Please tell more. It's about 2 hours from Madrid. Probably a bit too much for a day trip. How about a day or two at the end of the Madrid part (beginning) and then get up in the morning and train back to Madrid and immediately on to Seville.<BR><BR>Is it really worth the extra effort?<BR><BR>How much time would you allow for Salamanca? More please.<BR><BR>Thanks.<BR>

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 06:04 AM
Maribel

Myer,<BR>Topping for Maira but she may be travelling.<BR><BR>Before leaving for a trip to Castilla this evening, I'll try to help answer your questions. I love Salamanca as well, having lived and studied there. <BR><BR>How much total time have you alloted for your trip? Madrid and points south make an ideal 2 week itinerary, and there's plenty of beauty to behold there. Andaluc&iacute;a is best savored slowly (and life there moves more slowly) and is a very large, wide region.<BR> <BR>To include Salamanca, you could do it after finishing up in Madrid, but you'd need to add an additional night to fit it in, and the long trip tp Seville would cut into your time there (it takes 3 full days to see Seville well).<BR>From Madrid to Salamanca it's a 2 hr. drive or a 2 1/2 hr. train/bus ride. <BR>I would most certainly head out of Madrid early, spend the day and overnight. It's not a day trip. As Maira says, Salamanca becomes even more magical (hechiza aun m&aacute;s) at night. Sit on Spain's most beautiful Plaza Mayor and have a drink (blanco y negro, granizado, mosto) and watch the children at play, the conservatively well dressed salmantinos go about their evening paseo and catch an impromptu performance of &quot;Fonseca&quot; by a strolling &quot;tuna&quot; (university student musicians dressed in medieval troubador costume).<BR><BR>Here are the practicalities of getting down to Sevilla from Salamanca via public transportation:<BR><BR>There's a TRD train that departs at 7:45, reaching CHAMARTIN station in Madrid at 10:15. Then you would need to transfer with all your luggage to a CERCANIAS train (quick ride with 2 stops) to the ATOCHA station where you'd catch the 2 1/2 hr. AVE to Seville. This is a total 5 1/4 hr. trip.<BR>Or you could take an Auto Res express bus from Salamanca at 7, 8, or 9, reaching the Auto Res terminal south of Atocha 2 1/2 hrs. later. Then taxi to Atocha for the AVE to Seville. The bus is quite comfortable and safe.<BR><BR>Just in case you were considering picking up a car after Madrid and driving to Salamanca and then south (forgoing the AVE), the most direct driving route from Salamanca to Sevilla would actually be through the heart of Extremadura, the land of the conquistadores, through C&aacute;ceres and M&eacute;rida (those important Roman ruins). But the journey is 300+ miles. Expect a 6 1/2 hr. drive. If driving, I'd recommend you overnight in C&aacute;ceres (lovely Old Town with Parador), but then you'd be adding 2 days to your trip. <BR>The drive from Salamanca via Madird-C&oacute;rdoba is far too long, 8 1/2 hrs.<BR><BR>But do you really want to add more regions, Castilla-Le&oacute;n or Extremadura, to your trip and can you afford the time? This is what you must decide. Hope this info helps a bit in your decision. And I'm happy that you're able now to make your trip postponed from last year.

Old Nov 11th, 2002, 12:25 PM
Myer

Maribel,<BR><BR>Thanks for your response. At this time I am just tinkering with ideas.<BR><BR>What do you think of some of these ideas. The trip would be 14 days. Maybe one more or one less. I was not aware that the train station from Salamanca to Madrid was not the same as Madrid to Seville. That's a bit much for one change. Travelling by train (try to avoid bus).<BR><BR>Possibilities. Various combinations of the following.<BR><BR>Drop Toledo.<BR><BR>Add 2 days. Afternoon in Avila. Sleep over and spend the next day in Salamanca. Return to Avila and on to Madrid in the evening. If we did this I would be tempted to keep our room in Madrid and spring for an extra in Avila for 1 night. Avoid packing for 1 night.<BR><BR>Original plan from last year was 10-11 days.<BR><BR>We were going to end in Marbella for a few days but I could skip this. We live near the ocean. What we would also miss is visiting some of the white villages.<BR><BR>Possible Itinerary.<BR>Madrid - Arrival day plus one more (2).<BR>Toledo - day trip from Madrid (3).<BR>Avila/Salamanca - 2 days (5).<BR>Seville - arrival day (train) plus 2 plus day trip to Cordoba (9).<BR>Granada - arrival day plus 1 (10 - 11).<BR>Possibly skip Marbella but add Barcelona.<BR>Barcelona - (Sleeper train from Granada) 2-3 days (14).<BR><BR>As you can see still just tinkering. <BR><BR>Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experience.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -