Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is your Favorite Beach in Portugal? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-your-favorite-beach-in-portugal-428667/)

Amee May 5th, 2004 08:47 AM

What is your Favorite Beach in Portugal?

Can anyone recommend the nicest beach in Portugal from Lisbon down to Faro? Nicest meaning, clear water, no rocks, white sand, and waves?

SydneySteve May 6th, 2004 01:44 AM

I thought I should reply to this message because I saw it sinking off the Board like the last three I have posted about Sintra ! Are there ho Lisbon fanatics about ? Where is ThinGorjus? I too would be greatly appreciative of Beach information - early September three days up on the hill in Sintra at the Tivoli Palacio de Seteais Hotel - just a short distance down to the beaches. Where I come from we need beaches !

Singletail May 6th, 2004 02:49 AM

After looking at the beach pictures on the (Portugal) Sintra tourism website I'd say those beaches look awfully good!

bobthenavigator May 6th, 2004 05:59 AM

Praia de Rocha

Amee May 6th, 2004 11:25 AM

ttt

Amee May 6th, 2004 11:32 AM

Bob - I just did a search for the beach you recommended. It's looks very nice. I know nothing about Portugal, so if this sounds like a stupid question to some, I apologize=== can you tell me where this beach is in the Algarve?

lobo_mau May 6th, 2004 02:28 PM

Not a stupid question. Praia da Rocha is in Portimão area.

BDM May 6th, 2004 05:14 PM

We went to a beach a kilometer or two east of Sagres while at the Pousada du Infante on our honeymoon in 1987.

We simply turned off the road at the "playa" sign. Pure white sand, very tranquil, a great place to spend the day. The little beach side restaurant served the freshest grilled fish imaginable and the coldest beer ever (especially in Europe!)

There were dozens of tiny alcove beaches in this region. Faro was a touristy town but the surrounding little towns and beaches were great. Sorry no waves. If you want waves go to Guincho outside Caiscais. Supposedly some of the greatest windsurfing in Europe as well.

Good luck.

Brian

JJBhoy May 7th, 2004 12:08 AM

Amee,

As lobo mau says, Praia Da Rocha is, in effect, the coastal "suburb" of Portimao.

I was there about 10 years ago (gosh! doesn't time fly!) & I agree with bobthenavigator that the beach is spectacular. Unfortunately, however, my recollection is that the town itself was less than charming. There was a lot of high rise building going on & although, of course, it will have changed since then, I think I have seen reports which suggest that it is still not particularly attractive. Portimao itself is an interesting town to visit.

We liked Albufeira very much & it has 2 nice, but small(ish) beaches. We were there in winter, however & I believe it can get very busy in high season.

I haven't been there myself, but I hear that the beaches further west in the Algarve, around Lagos, are also wonderful.

Jim

lobo_mau May 7th, 2004 01:53 AM

BDM, if you saw a "playa" sign, you were most likely in Spain.

Amee May 10th, 2004 11:14 AM

Thanks everyone!

Amee May 26th, 2004 08:06 AM

BDM - we are thinking of staying at the Pousada du Infante. How was it? How long of a drive was it from Sagres to Faro?

Airlawgirl May 26th, 2004 08:41 AM

Hi Lobo-what about Cascais? I thought the beach was great there-to me, it was like a mini-French Riviera, with great nightlife to boot-then again, what's not to like about this area? Lisbon-Estoril-Cascais-Sintra- I love it all! (esp. the Port Wine Institute in Lisbon)

bobthenavigator May 26th, 2004 11:05 AM

Amee, That Pousada is very nice but too isolated for my tastes. You want to stay in the Lagos area--more centro and much more to see and do. The beaches there are excellent.

Ryan May 26th, 2004 11:11 AM

Given that Praia Da Rocha means "Beach of the Rocks", wouldn't that eliminate it given your criteria?

lobo_mau May 26th, 2004 01:49 PM

Ryan, a small correction, Praia da Rocha, means Beach of the Rock (meaning one particular rock), otherwise it would be Praia das Rochas