Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your favorite area to stay in Rome?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Visiting Rome from Oct 9 - 15, with my sister. What are some of the favorite neighborhoods you guys have stayed in? We're both adventureous (single) and want to stay in an area which is close to transportation, walking distance to good restuarants and some of the major sites, safe and just beautiful. Our budget for rooms is somewhere in the 300 Euros (or less) range. Once we get the area nailed down, we'll be on the hunt for a place to lay our heads. Also, did you have problems locating a laundry facility?
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 07:43 PM

Historic center, we stayed at Teatro di Pompeo.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 08:01 PM

I loved the Hotel Modigliani on a quiet street near the Piazza Navona, a recommendation from here on Fodors.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 09:56 PM

Good enough, in my opinion, the area close to Porta Pia.
Close to the railway station, close to the historic center, few very good restaurants and full of day by day life with its markets, its bar for coffee and alot of local people.

Vincenzo
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:24 PM

Vincenzoda, what accommodations do you recommend near Porta Pia? I have never seriously considered that area, because it seemed somewhat remote from the main sights.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 10:47 PM

We've always loved the Albergo del Senato. It is located in the square with the Pantheon. The location can't be beat.

During your timeframe, it looks like doubles are about 300 euros per night. Beginning in Nov, the price drops to 220 euros per night.
Old Aug 4th, 2009, 11:38 PM

The B&B Baldassini - I can't recommend it highly enough. It is a truly fabulous place right near the Pantheon. Located within very easy walking distance to all the major sites( my 11yr old and I walked EVERYWHERE!!)

The hosts are a really lovely couple and cant do enough to ensure your stay is a memorable one. My son and I stayed last June and I will be returning with some girlfriends in March.

The breakfast is heavenly and the area around the Pantheon is extremely safe. Following our last trip to Rome I compiled the following info on the area around the B&B and restaurants/trattorias/cafes/bars etc that are highly recommended to visit.

I have also included info on distances to major sites. As an ex- Qantas Flight Attendant I have had the fortune of staying in thousands of hotels but, I must say, for my money, it is the B&B's that represent true value for money!

I hope you find the following information helpful to you:

www.baldassinibeb.it

If you like, you, and all other Fodors members, are most welcome to use my past guest discount code (BBB777) to obtain a small discount on your accommodation.

Here you can read all the wonderful reviews, it is after reading these reviews that I booked for myself and my son:
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/H...ome_Lazio.html

Restaurant info etc:
http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

http://rome-hotels.tripadvisor.com/S...ome_Lazio.html

Please let me know if I can help further.

(N.B. - I recently received an email from the owners saying that they would be on holidays until the end of August and that they can be contacted via mobile/cell phone - the number is listed on their website).

I cant wait to return to this fabulous place in March and I am sure you would be delighted in your stay should you choose this B&B.

However, I would contact the B&B fairly quickly as I know they book out very fast. Good Luck!!

Cheers,
Melissa
Old Aug 5th, 2009, 02:58 AM

In the Porta Pia surrounding area I suggest the B&B SAN MICHELE www.bbsanmichele.com
Cheap enough, good enough. Be sure to reserve room with private bathroom.
Breakfast is fine and, as I said, you live Rome, not only the Rome for tourists, so that you feel yourself a temporary citizen rather than a tourist.
My name is

Vincenzo
Old Aug 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

It's been crazy here, so this is the first chance I've had to check back. Thanks for the info!