What is your fav European town/city?

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is your fav European town/city?

That you have visited? And why is it your favorite?

I have not traveled to Europe all that extensively, or not as extensively as I would like, but of all my travels I would say that a little side trip to Nice was very impressive, charming, and everything that I thought France would be like. I loved the feel of it. Now that was in 1983 or so, might have changed a lot since then.

So just wondering, from the Fodor travel experts, what is your favorite little town, little glen, little spot, big city, or whatever it might be, in Europe???
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 12:31 PM

I have thought about this a lot recently. People have been asking about small towns, big cities, favorite nooks, best bars. . . and I wonder what my standards are for perfection in place. Well, here goes:

I am a walker, so anywhere that is not conducive to walking (for example, my hometown of Dallas, TX) is out of the question. I prefer hot to cold, which is why Boston, despite the fact that in every other aspect I find it to be the ideal city, does not win the prize. I also have to really know the place (ie have spent at least 3 months there to figure it out) which leaves me with a few options, of which Barcelona comes out on top.

The nightlife is superb which, to someone as socially motivated as myself, is incredibly important. There is always a lot to do culturally, and not just museums and shows, but local celebrations, movies, lectures, and round table discussions. The coffee is good and the food is even better, and though it is a big city, my neighborhood knows me and I know them. It offers everything that I am really into, and endless opportunities to try on other activities. I have my friends there, and worked hard to construct a real community and support system for myself. I am so excited to go back, and when I think about it, it is not the monuments and the architecture that makes me want to get back there so fast, but the coffee shop where I like to read and write, and the people I will see when I get off the plane.

So, Barcelona. Always.

Claire
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 03:50 PM

Heavens & Claire,

Have a look at this thread;

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34550282

Maybe it's time to bring the original back up to the top again - then you can give us your votes too.

Jim

Old Feb 18th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks JJBhoy for the link. But I don't think it is quite the same question. That question is about cities and ranking. I am looking for a little more in depth info, like fav city or town or small little spot and why is it. They are similar but not the same.

I think there are probably many people who post here who prefer the small quaint town to the big busy city, so this question allows both. And then, I always like the whys, bc it give me more info and knowledge about their choice.

There is just so much on this board to talk about, yes?
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 06:52 PM

PARIS:
It IS the most sparkling gem of a city in the world, easily walkable, amazing parks everywhere, spectacular architecture, best art museums in the world, people who care about their national treasures, hands down the best cooking on the planet. It's just the most sohisticated place you'll ever go.
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM

Bamberg, Germany. The Altstadt is quant and beautiful, with friendly people. Rauchbier is excellent and so is the food!
Old Feb 18th, 2006, 07:48 PM

Hi
My favorite seems to be the last place I've visited. Berlin would then have to be my favorite, but so is Rome. Budapest was my favorite for a long time. It depends how I feel in those cities, my comfort level restaurants, museums and walking around. For small towns it would be Rovinj in Croatia by a mile. It was probably the most picturesque I've visited.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:28 AM

What a nice thread, Heavens. There are similar ones here at the forum, but I can understand why you'd like to start a fresh one.

Like you, I'm wondering if a few of my favorites are now so trodden that they've lost what I loved (so it obviously cannot be the 'sights'). Brugge, Salzburg, Lugano, Lausanne, Lindau, and at the smaller end -- Thun on its lake, Harburg (Schwaben), Dinan in Brittany, Lutry, Cully, Rivaz in the lavaux on lac Leman, and did I mention Gerra-Gambarogno? J.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 05:30 AM

And Dambach-la-Ville in Alsace. How could I leave her out?
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 06:02 AM

I posted on the city thread, so now I'll add favorite towns.
Taormina, Bellagio, Varenna for their settings, ambience and spectacular beauty.
Also Hallstadt, Salzburg, Canterbury, Giverny and the country roads of Ireland, for their scenery and places of interest.
All of these places have evoked feelings in me that set them apart from others. It's what makes a place special, sometimes for no particular reason.

Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:29 AM

Up until my last trip to Germany, Berchtesgaden had always been the place I dreamed I'd move to if I ever won the Powerball lottery. But after getting to know some of the locals, Oberammergau has moved to the top of my list. It's obviously very German, or should I say "Bavarian", but there are enough vestiges of the old U.S. military presence in the area to lend just a touch of my home country. Most of the inhabitants speak at least a little English and many Brits and Yanks have settled in the region.

I would be only a very short drive from Garmisch, three of Ludwig's Royal castles, great cross-country skiing, quaint farms, the Austrian border, alpine lakes and the Zugspitze. The intensity of the change of seasons would be something to behold. A moderately-sized wooden alpine chalet with all manner of wood flooring, paneling, cabinetry and flower boxes would be perfect. With a top of the line satelitte TV setup and high-speed internet I wouldn't miss home in the least. I'd just have to take a 6 month vacation back to the States every ten years when the Passion Spiel takes place.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 07:47 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Paris!! It is the only city I have visited in Europe that I dream (literally) about at home.

I really love Montreux/Vevey in Switzerland which are incredibly beautiful places but I have friends living there so that is part of why I enjoy those two so much.
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 10:05 AM

I have four favorites: Paris, Paris, Paris and PARIS. Nothing else matters
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 11:37 AM

I take your point, Heavens - it's interesting to hear the more detailed reasons why certain places appeal.

Jim
Old Feb 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Well, since we aren't restricted to just one, and after thinking a bit, I want to add St. Andrews in Scottland. I just loved this place. So quaint and charming and such lovely people that were very friendly and enjoyed talking with us. In the town, bc there is a university, there are many young people. And of course, my husband loved the golf.

We enjoyed the food, overall. Not the best but we did fine. I enjoy food being part of a trip, but it isn't the main event...
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Hi
After thinking things over less impulsively, I'd like to add Graz Austria.. We went there years ago only for one overnight. We became impressed with its ambience, its student population [a university city] and the general atmosphere. We wound up staying a few days.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 01:58 PM

Where's Waldo?
(sorry, couldn't resist)

Oh - I was completely enchanted by Prague.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:05 PM

Venice during low season. Rome. Paris. Ostuni. Goult.
Old Feb 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM

Vienna, hands down.