Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is your definition of a personnal item?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 22nd, 2002, 01:23 PM
danna

Husband and I went to CDG with two carry-on sized bags, one shopping bag, and my purse. I assumed the shopping bag would be OK as my husband's personnal item. French chick with USAir refused. Said her supervisor refused. When told we would just distribute the shopping bag items into suitcases, she also refused. We were standing in the Envoy line, God knows what they would have done to us in coach.<BR><BR>What do you guys think? Shopping bag not a personnal item? Why wouldn't she let us re-pack? We weren't even wearing tennis shoes and fanny packs! (little joke there)

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:54 PM
tracy

Right, a shopping bag is not a personal item. It could belong to anyone. A shopping bag is a recent addition and could contain anything with or without the owners knowledge. A bullseye, hopefully, for a security check. I agree with the french chick and her supervisor.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 05:59 PM
Curious

So what did you do with the stuff in your bag?

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:04 PM
XX

French chick and supervisor are correct. A shopping bag is not a personal item. A personal item is either a purse, a clutch or a small backpack [it's a fad nowadays] which carries personal effects of the person, not items personally bought by that person. <BR><BR>What makes you think you deserve different treatment merely because you were in Envoy class? A bomb in a shopping cart whether in first class, envoy class or coach will blow up the plane just as easily.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 06:22 PM
sillycow

In Coach they would have done the same thing. Not flying Coach only means you sit in larger seats and get a few perks,not that security is different for you.<BR>next time,while shopping,get yourself a tote that zips or a small carry on.looks better than the bag lady look of shopping bags also.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:13 PM
xxx

That is true. Anyone with half a brain knows that a shopping bag could hold a bomb, but if it is a zipped or locked bag it couldn't.

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:29 PM
xxx

Gee, I wonder if the security rules are different for "Envoy" passengers? NOT!!! A shopping bag is a sure sign you're trying to schlep something additional onto the plane. Put it in the suitcase while you're waiting to board, for goodness' sake. The AF "chick," as you so disparagingly call her, was quite right to call you on it. You're not entitled to special security measures because you're traveling Envoy class. You must have been the totally OBNOXIOUS American passengers I encountered at CDG in April while waiting to check my own pathetic but kosher luggage. God, I hate people like you who think the world owes you a special deal!

Old May 22nd, 2002, 07:36 PM
bigfan

Danna,<BR>Hope you make friends in real life better than you do here.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:13 AM
bob

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought Danna was asking about carrying it on board - not about a security check. <BR><BR>As in, each person is allowed one carry-on and one personal bag (which, as someone stated is usually a purse, briefcase or laptop bag). If the husband was carrying a normal carry-on suitcase and nothing else, I don't see why this item wouldn't be a personal bag - unless it was gigantic and chock-full. <BR><BR>I don't know why the Envoy passengers should be treated any differently than coach when it comes to security.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:34 AM
Nikki

I'm still wondering why the USAir woman wouldn't let Danna put her things into their suitcases. What were you supposed to do with those things then?<BR><BR>And what if you buy something at the airport? You can't bring it onto the plane in the shopping bag the airport shop provides?

Old May 23rd, 2002, 07:57 AM
danna

Wow...most responses I ever got!<BR><BR>A few points of clarification:<BR><BR>I checked the suitcases and CARRIED ON the shopping bag, so I guess that blows all the theories of how the open bag was a security risk. We specifically asked WHICH bag she found offensive and were told, "don't care, just check something".<BR><BR>Obviously, I don't think Envoy should get special security procedures, however, what I meant was, there was plenty of space to put the bag. And to XX, I guess a bomb in the cargo bay blows up the plane about as well as a bomb in Envoy OR Coach.<BR><BR>And, finally, "chick" is NOT a derisive term. I describe myself and my girlfriends that way quite frequently. It implies youth, but with a bit more sophistication than "girl". I hope I didn't offend any French chicks out there, however, I am completely open to offending "xxx". <BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:24 PM
Sue

Alas, I must confess my ignorance and declare I am confused, and in need of instruction. I know about weight regulations and size regulations about carryons, and of course about security stuff concerning bag contents (no knives,etc.) but I don't understand the references to 'security check' vis a vis shopping bags, or for any other type of bag. Please someone fill me in.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:45 PM
Translator

Sue-<BR>she said that she wanted to carry a shopping bag on the plane as a personal item.The employee of USAir said no.The supervisor said no.She was also told not to start repacking while people were waiting in the Envoy line.<BR>She seems to think that something worse would have happened if in Coach.<BR>She wants to know what we think.<BR>shouldn't she have been allowed to repack her suitcase at the airport.<BR>And she reminded us with her little joke that she was dressed well-not in sneakers and jeans(which must indicate someone flying Coach)

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:49 PM
Doctor

I think vibrators and such are considered 'personal items' by most. Why you would need it with you on the plane is a question only you can answer.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 05:53 PM
Sue

Sorry, 'translator', perhaps I should have made clear that the post(s) that confused me were among the responses to the original post, not the original post itself. Maybe I need to go buy a 2 by 4 and apply it liberally to my head, but I still don't understand what a shopping bag has to do with a security risk; I thought 'personal item' had to do with the onboard storage space restrictions of any given airline.

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:08 PM
notreally

LOL.Sue , you are a good sport! I was just being sarcastic..guess it didn't go over that well , heh?<BR>anyway,I think that danna considered the shopping bag as a personal item,allowed under your seat and in addition to her luggage,and they said no.Due to increased security,airlines are cracking down on how much and what kind of bags you bring on the plane with you.<BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:19 PM
Sue

Ah, thank you, enlightenment at last. Perhaps the lumber store is not in my future after all (this time!)

Old May 23rd, 2002, 06:31 PM
translator

Just don't try to carry that 2x4 onto the airplane!

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:33 AM
danna

Hi Sue - <BR><BR>Thanks for trying to help me get clarification on the "shopping bag" dilema. Is this the same Sue that stayed at the D'Aubbuson last week?<BR><BR>Translator - geez, I'm so sorry I mentioned Envoy. It was meant to be humourous, a little jab at the airlines and pleasure they seem to take in making air travel frustrating & uncomfortable a la the famous Seinfeld coach/first class episode. Clearly, my comedic abilities are minimal, will keep the day job.<BR><BR>OH, and the tennis shoes comment refered to the cliche, so widely repeated on this board, of French people distaining sneaker-wearers.<BR><BR>Appears your translating abilities are almost as poor as my comedy!

Old May 24th, 2002, 04:39 AM
noTranslator

maybe not danna.sue understood his/her translation.your comments about coach and what you wore are still not funny.<BR>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -