Reload this Page >

What is there to do in Angers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:18 PM
Randy

I will be in Angers, France for four days at the end of this month. Besides the Château, what other great things are there to do? <BR> <BR>Merci.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:33 PM
StCirq

Once you have seen the château with its amazing tapestries, go to the Jean Lurçat museum and see how they inspired him. Check out the Maison d'Adam in the place St-Croix (beatiful half-timbered house featuring carvings of the tree of life). The Cathédrale St-Maurice has stained glass windows dating from the 12th century. Angers has some good restaurants, too. One inexpensive place we thought had great food was Restaurant La Ferme on the place Freppel. We also had a wonderful dinner, though not an inexpensive one, at a place called La Salamandre. The décor was a bit strange, but the food was superb.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 01:36 PM
Rachel

Angers is one of our favorite cities. The Chateau is great--it has really neat walls and the moat is now a garden. You must eat at Le Salemandre--it is absolutely wonderful. You will need reservations. There is a market along the main street I think on Saturday morning but might be Sunday. It was very interesting. Also just drive around the surrounding countryside and stumble on to things.

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:20 PM
Mr. Go

Good suggestions all 'round. I agree with Rachel about driving around the countryside. Not too far down the road is Saumur...one of my favorite towns in the area. <BR> <BR>I believe there is also a Cointreau distillery in Angers, possibly with a tour(?).

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 02:32 PM
StCirq

Yes, the Espace Cointreau is on the Boulevard des Bretonnières. It is the ONLY cointreau distillery in the world, I believe. To make an appointment for a tour and a tasting, call 41-43-25-21. <BR> <BR>Also, I forgot the Musée des Beaux Arts has a pretty decent municipal collection.