Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is the word on Massa Lubrense? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-the-word-on-massa-lubrense-142728/)

Nancy Jan 16th, 2002 03:34 PM

What is the word on Massa Lubrense?

I want to try a new place in Italy this year, anyone know about Massa Lubrense area? It is on the Sorrento Peninsula that I know, any good suggestions? Thanks.

hamlet Jan 16th, 2002 05:08 PM

This question certainly caught my eye. Massa Lubrense is a town that "nobody ever heard of" although it is centrally located sort of at the intersection of 3 much more well known places - Sorrento, Positano and Capri. It's claim to fame might be considered Don Alfonso restaurant which is supposed to be one of the highest rated restaurants in Italy and Europe, only Don Alfonso's location is often referred to as Sant'Agata, a village of Massa Lubrense, but the name that is more frequently found on maps. While visiting the Sorrentine peninsula and going down to Amalfi, it would be very convenient to stay in ML if you want a quieter, less touristy experience and have a car/scooter or don't mind taking local buses. You will find tourists there, but there is also A LOT of local flavor - there are still people who do things the old fashioned way there, living off the land and living "simple" lives. Yet there are several hotels and restaurants in the town. I'm curious how you heard about Massa Lubrense and what made you consider visiting? My SO was born and raised there, we have a place there so I've been a few times. If you have specific questions, let me know. You may also want to visit www.massalubrense.it. Buon viaggio.

dean Jan 16th, 2002 06:56 PM

i too am planning a visit to Massa Lubrense this summer. Last summer we were in Sorrento and wanted t return. Sorrento itself is too noisy and crowded so we started looking for alternatives. I fould the web site you mentioned. I fell in love with the area from the website. I also bought the walking tours book on the site which mede my desire to go to ML even more. A friend at work is from Napoli and he says that Massa is where all his family's friends go for a quick weekend away and that shile we will find tourists, most will be Italian. <BR><BR>We will find out more in July!

Betsy Jan 16th, 2002 08:26 PM

This post caught my eye too, because my husband and I stayed near Nerone in the tiny sea-side village of Marina del Cantone in October. We stayed at Pensione La Certosa (www.hotelcertosa.com and www.wel.it/HCertosa) and ate in their restaurant, Ristorante Pappone. This family-run hotel is really several rooms above their restaurant. <BR><BR>We found the village a wonderful place to unwind after the rigors of Rome. Our room was very simple and had a balcony that overlooked the sea; we could hear the waves lapping the shore at night. The fish in the restaurant was very fresh and beautifully prepared, as this is a working fishing village. There is a wood-fired pizza restaurant just across the way. When the pizza restaurant needed a few more servers one night, our waiter ran over and helped out. When I wanted to use some binoculars to see a cruise ship, I just walked into the pizza place and asked to borrow theirs--it's that kind of place. There are a few other restaurants and a small store that sells good gelato. <BR><BR>There's a small dock from which some of the residents catch a boat to go to other areas (Naples ?) to work, and they return in the afternoon. Italians seemed to come there to use the beach for the day. It was warm enough to swim in the clear water in late October.<BR><BR>It's possible to take a boat to Capri and the Amalfi coast towns from Marina del Cantone, but we didn't do it because we enjoyed hanging out in the little village. <BR><BR>The roads in the area are narrow and very twisty, so if you're prone to carsickness, this is definitely not your spot! <BR><BR>Dean, I can't wait to read about your impressions of the area.

xxx Jan 17th, 2002 06:17 AM

Topping

Vincenzo Jan 17th, 2002 10:27 AM

I'm very happy to read your messages and the replies of the friends.<BR>Massalubrense is what hamlet wrote.<BR>Tourists know Sorrento Peninsula and they know that this land is between Vico Equense and Sorrento.<BR>No, after Sorrento, it begins the Peninsula of Sorrento Peninsula !<BR>The corner of the corner.<BR>This land is the turnaround between Bay of Naples and Bay of Salerno; in other words the turnaround between Peninsula and Amalfi Coast. The place is Punta Campanella. There is a path, only to walk, for Punta Campanella. It begins at Termini and Termini is an hamlet (!) of Massalubrense. To walk there means to walk in heaven: Capri is so near that you can touch the Faraglioni and if you go in the afternoon before sunset . . eyes aren't big enough to collect all you see!<BR>Really, tourists here are few and most of them are Italian.<BR>I could talk more and more about Massalubrense ! <BR>About suggestions, you had already very good suggestions.<BR>Anyhow my two are:<BR>Locanda del Capitano<BR>at Marina del Cantone, in Nerano, another hamlet of Massalubrense.<BR>On the beach, very elegant rooms ( only 12 ) a wonderful breakfast and a restaurant that is very famous, almost like Don Alfonso, and where you'll have excellent dinners.<BR>Cheaper and very close to La Taverna del Capitano, you have <BR>LA CERTOSA, on the beach, too.<BR>They organize daily trip for Capri by private boat. Restaurant is good.<BR>Wellcome to Peninsula of Peninsula.

x Jan 19th, 2002 02:31 PM

hamlet Feb 5th, 2002 11:26 AM

For those of you looking for an apartment/house/villa to stay in while visiting the area, here is the name and number of a local agency. It's called Due Golfi Immobiliare, phone/fax 39-081-878-0907 or phone 39-081-878-0246. The address is Corso S. Agata 20, Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi, Massa Lubrense<BR><BR>(I have no personal interests in this agency. I went to speak with them about 2 years ago about renting our place out - only unfortunately we can't yet until we get a few things changed at the house.)

hamlet Feb 13th, 2002 10:31 AM

ttt for Sandie

Lucille Mar 8th, 2002 02:36 PM

Vincenzo, how can I get in touch with<BR>Locanda del Capitano at Marina del Cantone, in Nerano? It sounds really interesting and I can't find any information on it? Thanks.

Geoff Mar 8th, 2002 03:11 PM

This is a really beautiful area - Sant'Agata and Massa. We stayed at the Hotel Vue D'Or which I think is technically still Sorrento but everyone thinks of as Sant'Agata. It's way, way up on the hill with a view like it's name says. It's a little more off the path than other hotels so the price is extremely reasonable. As someone mentioned, used the local busses, they're cheap. In Massa, try the Hotel Delfino. You won't be disappointed.

Lucille Mar 8th, 2002 03:39 PM

Thanks, Geoff, I searched the hotels in Google and they both look wonderful. The Hotel Delfino looks like it may be more my style, is it convenient to get into Sorrento on their shuttles.

hamlet Mar 9th, 2002 06:55 PM

For Lucille: Taverna del Capitano (restaurant and hotel) - phone 011-39-081-808-1028, fax 011-39-081-808-1892.

Vincenzo Mar 9th, 2002 11:00 PM

Lucille,<BR>Hamlet already answered you with phone number of Taverna del Capitano. I only add that I had a dinner on March 1st, friday, and I was full satisfied. To Mr. Salvatore, asf for visit his cellar, into a boat. As cake, please, don't miss sformatino al cioccolato: unforgettable.<BR>Have a nice trip.

Lucille Mar 10th, 2002 08:54 PM

My compliments, Vincenzo, you are very knowledgable about your area of course. Does that hotel and restaurant have a web site. <BR>Thanks to all of you, sorry, Nancy, for taking over your questions.

Rosalee Mar 11th, 2002 10:20 AM

vincenzo or any other fodorite, <BR>Is it easy to take the shuttles into Sorrento from Massa Lubrense or is there public trans. that goes late into the evening? We plan on partying in Sorrento.

hamlet Mar 11th, 2002 11:20 AM

In response to questions above:<BR><BR>The website is www.tavernadelcapitano.it<BR><BR>I'm not sure about any ML hotel shuttle service, but there are public buses and taxis around. Here is a link for schedules of buses between Sorrento and ML. Your hotel's address probably indicates in what area of ML it's located. If you're not sure, let me know and I'll try to find/figure out.<BR>

Kay Mar 11th, 2002 07:58 PM

I tried Don Alfonso's last time I was in the area. The food was wonderful, but I found the staff very formal for lunch and I had expected something more casual. I really didn't check out the area as I was on my way to the train station, so I will try to do so this trip. Thanks for the info. Kay

Mari Mar 12th, 2002 01:31 AM

We stayed in Massa Lubrense for one week of our two week trip last summer with the family. We loved it! Our villa had a spectacular view of Capri, Bay of Naples, and Vesuvious. Each day we were awakened by the crowing of roosters. During the day, the bells of surrounding churches would chime. At night , you could see the twinkling lights of all the little towns down the hillside. Magical! We were close enough to the town so that we could walk to do our shopping for the day. The people are wonderful. If you go, check out Hotel Bellavista and their restaurant, Restaurante Riccardo di Francischiello (there are two of them - make sure it is the one right at the hotel). We were a short drive to Sorrento and surroundings. You will love it there - we didn't want to come home!

Bobbi Mar 12th, 2002 05:36 AM

We are also planning a stay in this lovely area in early May and I have some questions that may also help Nancy. Mari, did you stay at the Bellavista? I'm curious because we are looking at a few hotels in the area and now have to make the difficult choice of deciding on one. We are considering the following - the Bellavista, Hotel Piccolo Paradiso and La Primavera. We also looked at the Certosa and Locanda del Capitano that was mentioned by Vincenzo but I am wondering if that area (Nerano) would be more difficult to take a daytrip to Pompeii from as it looks more remote. We will not have a car and must use public transportation or hired driver. We also have considered going to Pompeii enroute from Rome to Massa Lubrense but we will have our luggage to contend with. Is it possible to safely store the luggage in a locker at the train station in Naples? Please, any input is appreciated from anyone familiar with this beautiful area. Thanks<BR>