Reload this Page >

What is the UK or Paris like in Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 06:30 AM
christina

I would like to plan a trip to the UK or Paris for Presidents weekend. I'm not sure what the weather is like and if it's worth it. In other words, is it too cold to walk around and sight see? Is one better than the other for traveling in Feb.? Thanks for you help.

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 07:18 AM
Bob Brown

The weather in Paris and London of course defies exact prediction, but in winter you can count on short daylight hours and cloudy skies. Temperatures can be cold that time of year, but unless there are unusually cold temperatures neither city will be as cold as a city like Montreal or Boston. The average highs and lows, Fahrenheit, for Boston, Paris, and London are as follows: <BR> High Low <BR>Boston 37 22 <BR>Paris 44 33 <BR>London 44 35 <BR> <BR>Paris averages 14 days of rain February. <BR>Because there is so much you can do indoors, I would not worry too much about the weather. Versailles is indoors for the palace itself, although the gardens and grounds might not be too attractive that time of year. Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre are of course indoors. May would be a much nicer month, but if you are going to be there only a short time, there are enough indoor activities to keep you busy. Of the two cities, I find it hard to say which one to prefer. I am not much of a French speaker, but for 5 days we toured Paris long hours each day and considered it an adventure. And the last time we were in London it was late December. There was so much to see that in 7 days we were still working down the list of attractions. One thing about London, there is great theater to be enjoyed in our own language. <BR>On the other hand, Paris has one big advantage over London: For my money, the restaurants in Paris win hands down. <BR>It is really unfair to compare them, unless you are comparing French restaurants in London to those in Paris. <BR>So if someone walked up to me and said lets go on a free trip and gave me a choice of London or Paris, I am not sure which one I would select. Flip a coin I guess. <BR>Pick one and have a ball. <BR>

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 09:55 AM
elvira

Christina, we do that trip every year (already planning Feb 2000, prez weekend) and do BOTH London and Paris ...thanks to the Eurostar. <BR> <BR>Anyway, BobB is right - the weather is unpredictable. London has been cold and drizzly - and 60 degrees and sunny. Ditto Paris. Make sure you have 2 pairs of comfy shoes (in case one gets wet); dress in layers so that if it's cold, you have enough on to be warm, but if it IS sunny and warm, you're not lugging around a winter coat; have a hat, gloves and scarf; indoors is cooler than American indoors, so make sure you have a good 'indoor' sweater (like a medium weight cardigan or pullover). <BR>Everything is open: the Louvre still has lines, but the museum pass avoids that problem; nippy on the outside 3rd level of the Eiffel Tower; the Tower of London is REALLY cold (makes you realize how rotten it was as a prison); the river cruises still run, just make sure the boat(s) are enclosed or you will freeze your twillies off. <BR> <BR>Really good sales in the stores: visit Harrod's or Selfridge's or Galeries Lafayette's Food Hall; Harrod's has an incredible book department. <BR> <BR>No outdoor cafes (there are some semi-outdoors - the part of the cafe that's like an open porch during the summer gets enclosed during the winter) but VERY hearty food is served everywhere (Angelina's hot cocoa tastes particularly good; afternoon tea warms the cockles of your heart - if that's your idea of a good time). <BR> <BR>Either/or or both - you can't go wrong. <BR> <BR>Either or both

Old Nov 24th, 1999, 10:10 AM
Tom

I was in Paris the last week in Feb 1999 and it rained, sometimes torrentially, for the entire four days, with temps in the low 40s F. The next week, a coworker was there, and while the temperatures were about the same, he reported the sun was shining for his visit. Seems somewhat unpredictable to me. Nevertheless, a trip to Paris is always wonderful, no matter the weather.

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 05:57 AM
Jon

Go another time - Feb is horrid

Old Nov 26th, 1999, 08:50 AM
Cherie

My husband and I went to Paris for my birthday and found it was marvelous. It was coooold but really sunny that year around Pres Weekend. We found no lines at the Louvre, or anywhere else, for that matter because the locals are all walking around "depressed" for some reason. They perk up in warmth! We had a blast! You can spend the entire day in the Louvre, and duck out for dinner in some small bistro or a romantic restaurant while the air is nippy or drizzily. We heard Mozarts Requiem at the Madeline...bought tickets the same day at a little kiosk. It was positively etherial. Take a warm coat or fur. The subway gets a bit rough, though, late at night as the homeless were in those days going underground to stay warm overnight. Cabs are better if you don't rent your own wheels. We found an auto show at the Convention Center and spent an entire day looking at the latest vehicles on dislay....another time we happened upon a Race...you don't know what you'll find as the latest event when you visit. Be spontaneous with a day or two. Plan yur hotel near whatever is most important to see and then foot about the city and enjoy the chilly air and sunny sky...its diffenet...not necessarily bad.