Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the name of the famous opera house in Paris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to see an opera in the famous opera house but I do not know its name. Also, would like to see an opera but do not want to spend a lot. Is this possible and how?
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:36 PM

Do you mean Opera Garnier??
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:37 PM

The older most famous "Paris Opera House" is the Palais Garnier. But actually they don't do a lot of major operas there, doing more ballets. Most big opera productions take place at the newer Bastille Opera.
You can google to find their website. I always seem to have trouble getting to English on it, but I know I have. I have bought tickets to a ballet at the Garnier online and it was very easy, but you have to first register to get a "customer number".
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM

The old one is Opera Garnier but there are not many operas staged there, they use it more for ballet. The main house opera is the Opera Bastille.
You can search for Operas on your dates at www.operadeparis.fr, click on Calendrier.
I can't help you with the tickets.. I've never gone there
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:39 PM
nbujic

Opéra de Paris Garnier

there is another Opera House (newer one):
Opéra Bastille

just google and your find the ticket info

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 03:57 PM

The Opera Garnier is the opulent, old opera house. It was the scene of one of my major disappointments in my youth.
I saw a playbill advertising a recital by legendary soprano Elizabeth Schwartzkopf at the Garnier. I took the Metro over there only to find the performance had been cancelled!

The Opera Bastille is the new opera house that is considerably larger. I am not sure how the acoustics in the two places compare, but I don't think the new hall approaches the old one in terms of beauty inside.

The Opera Garnier is located in the 9th Arrondissement. The closest Metro stops look on my map to be Chausse d'Antin, which is slightly northeast of the rear of the building, and l'Opera which is in front of it, slightly southeast. The l'Opera station is on lines 7 and 3; Chausee d'Antin on lines 3 and 9.

The Opera Bastille is located in the 12th on Rue de Lyon and adjacent to Place de la Bastille where at the Metro station lines 1, 5 and 8 cross. As I recall, Bastille is a huge station with multiple layers and crazy with people.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 04:33 PM

When are you scheduled to be in Paris?

The Opera Bastille season is not quite as extensive as the Metropolitan Opera's.

I looked at the schedule and only about 8 different operas are presented between now and July. I am assuming I am reading that schedule correctly.

The cost for a ticket ranges wildly.
You can pay as much as €160. The usually available seats are in the €40 to top price range. Getting seats in advance is a chore if you try to use the web site without a good knowledge of French. There are 3 Verdi operas later on this season: Simon Boccanegra, La Traviata, and A Masked Ball.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

I will be going the end of May. I always see the grand picture of the Opera house and would like to go there. I guess it is the Palais Garnier. I do not think my husband would like to see a ballet so can we just take a tour?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:40 AM

I've heard sometimes you can get last minute tickets, but haven't done this myself. Opera just seems to be expensive, but even if you don't go to an opera, make sure to see the Chagall ceiling at Garnier--it's fabulous.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:44 AM

We did the tour of the Opera Garnier and it was a highlight for me. A fabulous place. If you do it make sure you get the complete tour. There is one ticket ( as I found out!) that does not cover the whole thing.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:45 AM

Yes you can take the tour. It is a beautiful building and do not miss the Chagall painted ceiling!

http://www.soultravelers3.com/blog/7...5492630F0.html

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:50 AM
nbujic

I have attended performances at Garnier and Bastille.
An evening at the Garnier felt grand, at Bastille - not so.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 11:58 AM

How much is the tour?

Are you allowed to photograph the interior?

Or use a tripod?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 01:29 PM

They do more than ballet at the Garnier, they have a lot of music concerts and usually several operas a year (smaller-scale ones).

You can take photos inside the Garnier. I don't know about tripods.

As a matter of fact, they are having an opera at the Garnier at the end of May, anyway, so if you want to go to one, you can. It is a newer work, which might be interesting, and is taking place on May 23, 29 and 31.