Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

what is the most picturesque scenery in Europe?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 01:45 PM
colin

I love taking photographs soI would like to go somewhere that is picturesque this february. Any ideas?

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 02:01 PM
Rex

I have never been to Europe in February, but I think a photographer would like good sun.

The south of Spain. Sicily. Madeira. the south side of the Alps in Italy, Switzerland and Austria.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Snoopy

Anywhere. There are picturesque areas all over Europe . . . What kind of response are you trying to elicit, colin? Do you like architecture (most cities), people (all cities), country side (I like Scotland and Ireland), mountains (Alps, Grampians, Pyranees), lakes (English Lake District), rugged coastline (Portugal, Highlands in Scotland) . . . I've been to all these places in Feb and they are all breathtaking.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:12 PM
Art

Southern Germany and Switzerland would be my picks.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:16 PM

definatly Prague

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:24 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

A tough but good question. Hmmm--scenery in Feb. I would start with the Berner Oberland--the best of the Alps.
The Amalfi coast is always good for photo ops, and the Salkammergaut region of Austria is fabulous in the winter. For cities, I agree with Prague and would add Venice--anytime of year.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:33 PM
Leslie

Prague is a wonderful city to take photographs in during the winter. With or without sun, the city is picturesque, and also beautiful in the rain and when it is snowing. I also suggest you bring some black and white film. Some of the best photographs I have seen of Prague were taken in black and white -- the long shadows make the photographs amazing. Make sure you get to the top of Hradcany to take pictures looking down into Prague. All of the red brick/tile roofs are charming.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 07:50 PM
StCirq

This is a hopelessly subjective question, but for me the answer would be the Dordogne.

Old Oct 17th, 2002, 10:56 PM
Curiosity

but I can't help but wonder. What is bomec.org?

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:40 AM
Sue

Santorini

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:47 AM
SA

Prague & Paris are great for B & W photography. As far as the best pics I have ever taken.

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 07:54 AM
lynlor

Although Norway is not my first choice for travel, I think the fiords there are the most spectacularly beautiful scenery that I have ever seen.
lynlor

Old Oct 18th, 2002, 08:19 AM
andy

The Hurtigruten- The Most Beautiful Voyage in the World. The Fjords of Norway in summer and in winter.

Old Oct 23rd, 2002, 11:01 PM
Any

Any more?

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 03:12 AM
Lillie Harty

The Alps look great but my favorite spot would be Killarney Natioanal Park in the south-west corner of Ireland.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 04:45 AM
Rae

Try Venice - Carnival time - fantastic colour but lovely in black and white too!

Great architecture, lots of reflecting images in the water - canals and lagoons....High water (flooding) makes everything eerie - I think its just the thing you're looking for!

Have fun!

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 10:43 AM
Barbara

My choice would be Switzerland including the old town of Bern, Lucerne and mountain areas, Salzburg Austria and Paris.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 11:29 AM
Tim

I'd go for the Golden Pass, Interlaken-Montreux. Also the section of the Wien Walzer train (Vienna-Zurich) between Landeck and Sargens.

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 12:39 PM
Ingo

Very interesting thread.

Definitely Prague ... but you need sun. Due to its special topographical situation (right in the center of the Bohemian basin) it is very often foggy/cloudy in Prague in winter.

You might have more luck with sun in the Alps (Swiss are my favourite, Engadine, Bernese Oberland, Valais), the Italian/Swiss lakes and Mediterranean countries in general (Italy, Spain, Greece).

Ingo

Old Oct 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
Spanky

My best black and white photos were taken in Paris in March during a one week stay where it rained almost every day and when not raining was overcast with stormy clouds. Right now I am looking at my favorite photo, looking onto the Ille de Cite with a rough Seine and storm clouds over the island. Absolutely magical--although at the time I was pretty upset about the weather.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FODOR'S VIDEO