Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is the least expensive destination in Europe? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-the-least-expensive-destination-in-europe-229438/)

Cheapie Jun 9th, 2002 03:48 AM

What is the least expensive destination in Europe?

Where in Europe are the hotels and food costs the least (for 3 star quality) for an american traveler?<BR><BR>I want to visit american but can not afford Paris or London prices.

xxx Jun 9th, 2002 04:56 AM

Bulgaria. Wonderful monasteries, quaint villages, mountains and Black Sea coast beaches.

BOB THE NAVIGATOR Jun 9th, 2002 05:35 AM

Other than Eastern Europe and the Balkans, the answer is Portugal. It is a wonderful destination and the best value in Western Europe. Good Luck !

Wayne Jun 9th, 2002 05:58 AM

Bulgaria is certainly one of the lowest in cost, as is Romania. Parts of Poland, Hungary, Slovakia, Czech Republic, Slovenia, Bosnia, and Turkey are also low in total cost, but amenities typically expected by Americans are not always there. The Baltic states, away from major cities, are also pretty good bargains. And if you could travel independently in Russia, which you can do with some difficulty, you would find it to be inexpensive outside the major cities and coastal resorts. <BR><BR>But if you want to "visit American," you should probably stick to the smaller villages in Hungary, the former Czechoslovakia, the Bulgarian and Romanian coastal resorts, Slovenia, or Portugal as advised by Bob.

xxx Jun 9th, 2002 06:47 AM

What does "visit American mean"?

Marsha Jun 9th, 2002 07:10 AM

Prague.

Hope Jun 9th, 2002 09:10 AM

I lived in Portugal and now I am in Germany. Portugal was relatively cheap and good money for it's value. The wine is excellent, but the food may not be what every American wants to see on his plate - but it is great! The farther North you go, the cheaper. Russia is cheap if you stay away from Sochi, Moscow and St. Petersburg ... Yalta in the Ukraine is cheap as is Sofia. Prague is beautiful, but I have often read on forums that it is cheap ... not so anymore! It has quickly become a popular tourist destination. Good luck on your travels.

Ben Haines Jun 9th, 2002 10:36 AM

For two years I have kept a list, staring with the cheapest countries. I post it on thes Lonely Planet Thorn Tree about four times a year, and ajust it according to replies I get there. Here it is, starting at the cheapest countries.<BR><BR>Ukraine (on a private visa, not a tourist visa)<BR>Belarus<BR>Bulgaria<BR>Moldova<BR>Slovaki a<BR>Romania (if you use bed and breakfast or hostels, but not hotels)<BR>Serbia (on a visitors pass or a transit visa, not a tourist visa)<BR>Hungary (except Budapest)<BR>The Czech Republic (except Prague)<BR>Poland (except Krakow)<BR>Budapest<BR>Krakow<BR>Prague<BR>Souther n Italy<BR>Southern Spain<BR>Croatia<BR>Slovenia<BR>Northern Spain<BR>Belgium<BR>Republic of Ireland<BR>Northern Italy, not Venice<BR>France<BR>Germany<BR>Austria, not Vienna<BR>Switzerland<BR>United Kingdom, not London<BR>Denmark, Sweden, Finland<BR>Iceland and Norway<BR>London<BR>Vienna<BR>Venice<BR><BR>Please write if I can help further. Welcome to Europe.<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London<BR><BR>

Sue Jun 9th, 2002 04:17 PM

Ben, where does Greece fall? We find it to be least expensive of the "western" European countries.

portugal Jul 1st, 2002 07:42 PM

ya,Ben what about Portugal.