Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the Easiest way to Sorrento with luggage from Roma’s airport?

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning late April trip to sites in the Campania region and then with a last stop in Venice. What is the easiest way to get to Sorrento with our luggage from the Rome airport? I have read numerous postings but wonder if taking a flight from Rome to Naples may be easier than taking a train or bus.
I read postings mentioning a shuttle bus just outside the Naples airport called Curreri. Is this a public bus service that goes directly to Sorrento? Or, does it make stops along the way to Sorrento?
We also are wondering if renting a car is really necessary to see the Amalfi coast. From the postings it looks like driving along the coast is hectic and busy. I am looking for recommendations on any car tour companies in addition to using the public buses. We plan to also go to Pompeii, Positano and maybe Capri and hopefully see all these sites within four and half days.
We would like to see Venice, and wonder if flying from Naples would be better than taking the train. Our time schedule is somewhat flexible. We thought maybe two full days in Venice would be sufficient.
Thanks for any advice .
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 02:55 PM

It is not clear if you are staying in Rome before heading to Campagna. The easiest way is to charter a car from here (USA) to meet you in Rome and take you to Sorrento. About 200-250 Euros, IIRC. Otherwise, you can take a fast train Rome to Naples and change to the Circumvesuviana train (at the same train station). Depending on the amount of luggage you have, the former may be worth while.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:14 PM

So you can get a car service to pick you up at FCO and take you to Sorrento, and it will be expensive.

You can take the Leonardo Express train from FCO to Termini in Rome, then get a train to Naples.

From Naples you can either take the Circumvesuviana, as suggested above, or, which I think is easier, have a driver pick you up and take you to Sorrento.

In any case, unless you are picked up and driven from FCO, you have quite a bit planes, trains, automobiles or busses to deal with.

You can fly to Venice from Naples.

You can train from Sorrento to Pompeii. Easy.

I would use ferries for the other stops, because the AC roads make me ill. Others would find busses or driving to their liking.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:36 PM

I never imagined there wd actually be a flight from Roma-FCO to Naples but indeed there is! Alitalia flies around 9:20 in the morning and at the end of the afternoon.

But "the easiest" way to get to Sorrento is surely driving: drive yourself or be driven by someone else.

We love driving around Rome so that wd be our choice ...but others will dissent. Also, I note you don't really want to drive the Amalfi coast....
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:42 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
Are your air tickets purchased? Can you fly into Naples and out of Venice?
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:55 PM
SAB

Well the easiest w/o hiring a driver is to drive yourself, which is what we did year before last. We rented a villa in the hills above Sorrento so we wanted (needed) a car to get around. I actually drove down the Amalfi Coast--which I admit is not for everyone. Many people hire a car and driver for this or take the bus. We took the train to Pompeii and Naples and the ferry to Capri.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 03:58 PM

I flew from FCO to NAP but I had carry on luggage-and yes the Curreri bus is a coach type bus that lets you off in the center of Sorrento (the bus is right outside the Naples airport-you pay on the bus about 10 Euro). Check Mobbisimo.com for flights from NAP to VCE. We have also flown to Naples via O'Hare-Brussels-Naples.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:19 PM

The easiest thing would be to rent a car - which is very useful on the Amalfi coast - as long as you're not there in July or August. Just be sure your hotel has parking (most don;t).

But - if you're coming off an overnight flight the drive may be too challenging - and then you could consider a car service. (Way better than all the hassle of another flight.)
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM

Fly to Naples and not FCO--we are doing that in May.
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 05:08 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
I think a private car transfer will be more in the 300-400€ price range.

Curreri also runs a bus (no Sunday service) from Rome to Sorrento, but the time might not work for you. It leaves Rome Tiburtina station (note - not Termini) at 2 pm. You would have to take the local train from the airport (not the Leonardo Express) to Tiburtina. Click on bus routes.
http://www.curreriviaggi.it/

Marozzi bus also departs Tiburtina station and has a 3 pm departure most days.
http://www.marozzivt.it/biglietteria...pobigl=marozzi
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the many postings! I have not booked overnight flight to Italy yet. It looks like flying directly to Naples is a better idea. I was looking at flying to Rome only because of a direct flight from U.S.
Must you have reservations for the Curreri bus? One posting indicating paying on the bus. If we don't use the bus to Sorrrento, how far is the train station from the airport ?
I also need Sorrento hotel sugguestions. Looking for upscale, clean, quiet place. The Grand Hotel Excelsior sounds great but very expensive for 5 nights. Looking for a 4/3 star hotel. Thanks again for any information.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

I forgot to mention....I am also looking at smaller hotels in Sorrento with views of the sea that are within walking distance of the town that offer clean and quiet rooms with breakfast included. There will be 3 of us travelling together. Thnaks again.
Old Feb 13th, 2010, 05:05 AM

You do not need reservations for the Curreri bus from the Naples airport to Sorrento-you pay on the bus. It is very convenient and easy transportation. Try Hotel Settimo Cielo in Sorrento-it is a 10 minute walk to the center of town. The views are lovely and the room we had had an large balcony.