Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best way to use my miles? And, where do the kids sit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 10:56 AM
confused

OK, four people traveling- Mom, Dad, 2 teenagers. We have enough miles for 2 economy seats and purchase of 2 more for approx 1750.00 We have miles to get 1 business class free and upgrade 2nd ticket to business for 1,800 cost then add 1 FULL fare economy ticket for 2,400 and a free companion economy (full fare needed to get companion ticket). Have enough for 2 free Economy Upgrades (British Airways World Traveller Plus- one step up from economy), then purchase 2 regular economy for approx 1750.00. Or, 2 free Economy Upgrades and purchase of Upgraded ticket for 2450.00 using a free companion certificate from Diners Club-(fee=300.00). It is also an issue of adults and kids in the upgraded class together vs. adults up front and kids in the back. Our miles will easily cover the 2 Business class tickets, but then what about the kids? Economy, Economy Plus (with it's own cabin area with bigger seats and better food right behind business class) or do we as parents trade in the Business tickets and go back to Economy Plus- (upgraded) with the (sleeping) kids. On another board this was a huge issue (the kids in the back subject, not mine it was someone elses), however, I am of the mind that everyone should be thrilled just to go to Europe and that adults do the work to earn the tickets. I should also state that I am a stay at home Mom who has been there with my kids everyday since their birth. We spend alot of time together and will be together the entire vacation. Never used a babysitter even. It is not as if we would have them carried in the luggage compartment, they would be with the MAJORITY of passengers on the plane in economy. It is an overnight flight, so we will be sleeping, and there is 1 parent with arthritis who could really use a better seat. Sorry for the length of this, I hope someone out there will understand what I am trying to ask, I know it's confusing!!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 11:46 AM
Carol

I would take the upgraded seats and put the kids in the back. If they are teenagers they should be old enough to know how to behave. I would recommend someone check on them, but... it is not like you are leaving 6 year olds back there! There are usually young people in coach class on planes and often they don't even have parents on the plane!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:20 PM
ohoh

The kids will probably be happier together away from Mom & Dad for this adventure. It probably won't matter much to them if they are in Economy or not...although if you think this might be the LAST time you all travel together, maybe all sitting in the Economy Plus section would be a treat all would remember.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:21 PM
Anne

On a recent flight back from Europe to the US, we had 4 economy seats. The plane was totally overbooked and the airline upgraded the parents to business class, with the two kids (9 and 11 years old) supposedly staying back in economy. Yeah, right! What we did was that we took turns. First half, mom and daughter up front, then dad and son. The flight attendants aren't too crazy about this "visiting" back and forth but I can't imagine that they really would expect us to leave the two kids by themselves for 7+ hours. Just make sure that whoever gets teh business class food knows how to appreciate it.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:30 PM
Surlok

Your two teenagers will be perfectly fine flying on coach seats, don't worry. Just try to book your own seats on the last row, on the same side of theirs, which should, ideally, be at least on the second row of the economy class section. <BR> <BR>Also, ask the stward/ess to let them visit you on business when they want, as far as they keep quiet, and do the same once in a while. Since the DVT syndrome is more likely to happen to travelers that don't stand up, move or walk during long flights, walking every now and then is a wise thing to do (to all of you). <BR> <BR>Surlok

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:31 PM
elvira

Speaking as a former teenager, I'd have loved it if my parents were a whole plane-length away from me. <BR> <BR>Why not ask the kids? If they express nervousness or concern about being on their own for 7 hours, then sacrifice the Business seats to sit with them. And, since most students travel economy, they'll probably meet some kids their own age.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 12:42 PM
confused

Thanks to all for your reassuring replies. Actually, they would love to be alone! My son would've lived alone in a hotel (deluxe, of course!) at age 7 if only he had a credit card!!! They will be 13 and 18 at the time of this trip and would prefer to be apart from each other too. We have set apart on domestic flights, but always in the same cabin. It is fun after the flight to hear about what everyone's neighbors were like on the flight. I will try to get the airline to assign us to the same side of the plane and get them nearest the front as I can, and have us in the rear of BUSINESS CLASS!!!

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:26 PM
Carolyn

What is DVT syndrome?

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:34 PM
confused

DVT is an abbreviation for "Deep Vein Thrombosis", which is a condition that occurs as blood pools in the lower extremities in stationary situations such as a long flight. In some people (rarely) a clot can form from the lowered circulation and like any DVT, it can break off and go to the lungs and block an artery or the brain and cause a stroke.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 04:44 PM
Philly2

The "kids" stay at home! Enjoy yourself.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 09:02 PM
Jayne

If you have BA World Traveller PLUS seats you are way more likely to get a free upgrade to business class, if the flight is full, than passengers who are in the regular economy class. That is what happened to our family of three in May.