Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What Is the best way to charge 4 devices when traveling through Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2011, 11:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm about to head off from syd australia to Europe for 7 weeks and I will have about 4 things that I need to charge each night!
What is the best way to multi charge devices when traveling?
U have brought 1 euro plug adaptor & 1 UK adaptor
Could I use a power board?
Any ideas?
Thank you
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:36 PM

What do you have that they are all going to run out of charge every day? I'm guessing a phone and a laptop - what else?
Old May 7th, 2011, 11:40 PM

Oz & European voltage are pretty similar so you can use a multi-socket extension lead and an adaptor for the country. Have a decent length to the lead of the extension as sockets may be in odd places which are awkward to get to.

But I'd be surprised if you need to charge more than one thing at a time unless you have VERY slow chargers.
Old May 8th, 2011, 12:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the info
I have a camera, video camera, phone n notebook
I know they may not all need charge at the very same time but the camera n video I'll be using a lot so there is a fair chance.
It's my first trip overseas so I'm a little nervous n probably over prepared
LoL
Old May 8th, 2011, 01:11 AM

If you plan to do a lot of shooting, bring spare batteries for your camera and video. I've often had to change batteries in the middle of the day, and if you don't have a spare you are out of luck.
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for that tip
Will price up batteries
Will definitely pack a power board
Ta
Old May 8th, 2011, 02:30 AM

Hey RNB77, this is the first time I've thought to bring a power board and one adapter. Works great, by the time you charge all the above & for me, plug my hairdryer in ;-) its worth it.
An Aussie in London.
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:02 AM

usually just pack a cheap 4 plug extension

and an adaptor and power conditioner

to preserve expensive electronics.

apc.com insuremytrip.com for theft

always wise expensive electronics are a theft magnet

especially Ipads/IPhones
Old May 8th, 2011, 03:27 AM

Use a power surge strip, which you apparently call a power board, with your plug adapters.
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:09 AM

Definitely take a spare battery for camera/s.

We carry multiple cheap adaptors and usually found enough plugs in the rooms to do several things at once; it is something you have to manage! (We had 2 blackberries, 2 DSLRs, 2 small laptops/notebooks, and a gps between the 3 of us!) We didn't pack a power strip/surge strip but this might be another good alternative to multiple adaptors.

And I guess you've planned how to download and protect your pics as you go along? Have plenty of memory space and remember any cords needed for picture transfer.
Old May 8th, 2011, 04:41 AM

Question...while I know there might be a problem with a 110 volt power strip in a 220 volt line as the current goes through a wire, what about those little adapters that can convert one plug in to four plug ins with an adapter? Current does not pass through any wires, it's just a plug adapter. (Some European hotels are very stingy with the number of elecgtrical outlets).....does the voltage matter so I get one plug adapter and I can put my US style chargers in any of four receptacles. (My chargers are multi voltage of course)....seems to me in this case voltage doesn't matter, no wires. Anybody with any thoughts.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:03 AM

I like the idea of a power strip/surge protector, but it would add more weight to your luggage. Bring more than one plug adaptor — it's easy to forget them in the wall socket when you change hotels, and a replacement for an Aussie plug adaptor may not be easy to find.

Another point to consider is many hotels have key cards that must be inserted into a slot to turn on the electricity. When you leave the room the electricity goes off, and you can't charge your devices while out for the day or evening. That's another argument for a power strip, because you can charge all your devices overnight.
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:33 AM
plr

xyz123's post above prompts me to ask if anyone knows for certain whether it is okay to use a 110 power strip in a 220 country to recharge items that are dual voltage?
Old May 8th, 2011, 05:42 AM

> Another point to consider is many hotels have key cards that must be inserted into a slot to turn on the electricity. When you leave the room the electricity goes off, and you can't charge your devices while out for the day or evening.

You can insert any card (or anything of the right size) to keep the electircity on. The house keeping might take it away though. But it still can work especially during the evening (no house keeping) while you are out for dinner. I have done it. I just inserted one of the cards I had, like a telephone card.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:10 AM

kappa1, yes there are ways to get around it. ;-) You can also unplug the fridge or minibar which stays on all the time, and use its socket. I'm not sure that would meet with approval, though. Some hotels do have housekeeping in the evening — the ones that turn down your bed and replenish bathroom supplies while you are out.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:15 AM

From you post, I cannot say if you knew the trick I posted.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Interesting....after I posted, I did a google search on the topic of using a supposed 110 volt power strip in a 220 volt outlet in Europe. There were the usual don't do its but one response was striking from somebody who claimed to be an electrical engineer (I have no reason to doubt he indeed was one). He went through a whole explanation but the bottom line is the wiring in a US power strip, as long as there isn't a light to indicate it's on or a circuit breaker, will support up to 300 volts and that it is quite safe to use a power strip purchased in the USA in a European outlet provided there is no light which will burn out.....I did use it this past February and there seemed to be no problem; the ire did not get hot or anything. Again the danger would be if you inserted 1 110 only appliance into the outlet of the power strip as the outlets on the power strip all will be bringing in 220 volts but it seems that a multi voltage appliance in a power strip from the USA should pose no problem thus you can get by with one adapter.
Old May 8th, 2011, 06:41 AM

<i>it is okay to use a 110 power strip in a 220 country to recharge items that are dual voltage?</i>

As long as the power strip has no LEDs, switches, or surge protection, using a 110 volt strip poses no problems as the internal wiring is actually of a heavier gauge than what might be safely used in 220v strips.

The real question is are 220 volt strips okay to use with 110 volt sources? The answer is most likely no unless the strip is designed for such a purpose.

The real problem for most travelers staying in hotels is that few plugs are usually available in the rooms. While not inexpensive, specialty strips are available and designed to work anywhere. The model I use is very light weight (it actually weighs less than does the cord used to plug it in):

http://www.europlugs.com/Wonpro_cata...fig_WES4.3.htm
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:13 AM
Doh

Can you charge some things off a USB cable attached to the computer? That could cut down on the need for outlets.
Old May 8th, 2011, 07:18 AM

Hi xyz123 and kappa1,

I'm an American living in Europe, and have a variety of electrical appliances, 110V, 230V, and multi-voltage. While most of my power strips are 230V, I do have a few 110V extension cords and power strips. I have used them at home for many years with no problems.

When you are travelling, though, you have to remember that hotels are responsible for the safety of their guests, and may be alarmed by unconventional electrical devices, i.e. 110V power strips. Indeed, their local laws may prohibit them, but I am just speculating here. When staying in a hotel I try to abide by their policies, which is why I didn't initially point out ways to get around the key card electrical switch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -