I'm just finalising my plans for my Europe trip in July and August, from Australia. I will be catching a couple of flights but using trains for most of the trip and I am just wondering who has views on the best way to book. i.e is it better to buy tickets when we are there and for individual trips, or should we get a Eurail pass?
For the first train trip, from Barcelona to San Sebastian, I will be with two friends. For the rest of the journey, until Rome, I will be with one friend. Train trips will include:
- Barcelona to San Sebastian
- Antibes to Monterosso
- Monterosso to Padua
- Padua to Venice return (not sure I would need to count this as a day for a Eurail pass as I expect the trip will be quite cheap and easy enough to book on the morning we visit Venice?)
- Verona to Rome (this one isn't certain and we plan to get a car for a few days after Padua and head into the Dolomites and then either go to Florence or Verona for a couple of days. But if driving is hectic in these towns we will probably leave the car somewhere before either Verona or Florence and then get the train up the rest of the journey)
So that adds up to between four and six days of train travel.
After Rome I fly to Paris and may take a day trip somewhere but I will decide that when I am there. And then I go to London and have already booked the Eurostar for that trip.
Thanks in advance!
Recent ActivityView all Europe activity »
- 1 Manchester Christmas Markets 2017
- 2 Where to Eat in Barcelona
- 3 Help with Spain itinerary
- 4 My France Vacation
- 5 More time in Belgium or Germany?
- 6 Greece during Easter week or August
- 7 Must See/Do/Eat in Vienna?
- 8 Paris, Normandy & Amsterdam with College Graduate
- 9 Buying RER Ticket CDG-Paris
- 10 Where to stay in Naples?
- 11 Tour Company recommendations for St. Petersburg
- 12 And the winner is ...India? Egypt? no, Italy!
- 13 Driving
- 14 Malaga Christmas lights
- 15 Itinerary for 4 days in Madrid
- 16 10 days in Cologne Munich Switzerland
- 17 Is Bologna ok for a 3 months stsy?
- 18 Car hire from Venice to Croatia and bosnia
- 19 Italy Croatia Bosnia
- 20 Provence and Cote de Azure
- 21 "chunnel" to change it's offical name.
- 22 Andalusia schedule /Cordoba question
- 23 Ronda by bus in early January?
- 24 May Germany, Switzerland, and Iceland
- 25 From Portugal to the Pyrenees and onto Paris
What is the best way to book train travel in Spain, France and Italy?