Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is the best tour for a first time visitor to Venice? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-the-best-tour-for-a-first-time-visitor-to-venice-564994/)

tbow2727 Oct 16th, 2005 08:11 PM

What is the best tour for a first time visitor to Venice?

I have read a few threads and have seen mixed reviews of the tour that I was planning to take the "Venice in one day". Does anyone have recommendations for a general tour? I will be there during Carnivale before heading to Rome. It will be the first time I have been to Venice and my mother's first experience in Europe so I would really like something special for the both of us.

elaine Oct 17th, 2005 12:26 PM

I didn't find that a tour was necessary in Venice, it's small and with a good map I was fine. However, in addition to American Express, two other organizations are
walksinsidevenice.com and venicescapes.org

I have a long file on Venice; if you'd like to see it, email me at
[email protected]

Jean Oct 17th, 2005 12:33 PM

Or follow one of the Venice walking tours found in several guide books (like Fodors!).

Leely Oct 17th, 2005 12:46 PM

How long will you be in Venice and does your mother have any mobility problems (bad knees, back, etc.)?

If I had enough time, I'd just do walking tours on my own, as the above posters have mentioned.

I've been in Venice for Carnivale--with my mother, of all people--and one of the most relaxing things we did was head over to Cannregio and tour the Jewish Ghetto. It was so peaceful away from Saint Mark's.

Enjoy Venice!

ira Oct 17th, 2005 01:26 PM

Hi tb,

Start with the miniguide to Venice under "destinations".

What's your budget for a guided tour?

((I))

suze Oct 17th, 2005 01:32 PM

As others have mentioned, we made our own self-guided tours following suggestions from a guidebook.

tbow2727 Oct 17th, 2005 02:20 PM

Thank you for your replies so far. My mother has a bad ankle from a previous break so more than two hours of walking with no break would probably be too much at a fast pace anyway. We are staying in the Cannregio area as I heard that it would be easier to get sleep during the Carnevale vs. staying close to St. Marks. I have seen many good posts about the Grand Canal tour. We will be in Venice for three whole days and night before heading to Rome for 5 days. Do you have any suggestions as to which map is a good map, I have read that some are not that easy to read. I am willing to pay whatever it takes to have a great experience within reason of course. Also I saw somewhere that they have classes that you can take to make your own Carnevale mask at some of the shops. Since my mother is into arts & crafts I would really like to do this if possible. Outside of St. Mark's and Cannregio are there any other things that you think we should definitely see while we are there. Thank you for everything so far.