Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the BEST of Annecy? Lodging (lakeside), sights, food

Old May 15th, 2001, 07:36 PM
Linda

Annecy will be my last stop for this American traveler and her 14-year-old daughter on a once in a lifetime trip to Europe. I hear Annecy recommended on this site. What should I see? Where should we stay? This will be our LAST two nights before flying out of Paris for home. Thanks!
Linda

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:28 AM
Linda

HELP - I know some of you have been to Annecy. Please provide info.

Old May 16th, 2001, 07:37 AM
Ursula

Linda: There is a thread a bit further down with a couple of suggestions for Annecy "Annecy France -- lodging suggestions".

Old May 16th, 2001, 09:51 AM
John

For your last stopover Annecy is a great choice - I'd be hard pressed to pick a more satisfying place for a couple of days. What to do? Well, walk around the old town until your feet are sore. Go to the market and buy some berries or cheese or whatever, then head to the lakefront park for a picnic. Take one of the cruises on the lake and admire the lakefront houses, the mountains, the incredibly clear and clean water (cleanest in Europe), the breeze. If it's occupied, be there when school gets out next to the river where all the rowboats are tied up (down from the park) and watch the family reunions. Enjoy the great Savoyard food - cheesy, hearty stuff. Toss something to the zillions of swans. Oh, you'll have a great time.

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:51 AM
Mary Ann

hi Linda
I responded earlier to another Annecy post. For us the best part of this area was visiting Chamonix and taking the gondola up to the top. Check out the other post. We stay Hotel du Chateau. It is not lakeside, but up on the hill. Again it depends on what you like to do. It was a short downhill walk (of course you have to walk back up hill) to the old city center.
Have a wonderful trip.

Old May 16th, 2001, 11:33 AM
kalena

Hi Linda. We stayed in Thones, near Annecy for three weeks several years ago. I am attaching a few links that might help.

http://www.abbaye-talloires.com/
http://www.talloires.com/

Talloires is a lovely little hamlet just a few kilometers from Annecy. While in the area, we discovered the Chateau Menthon St. Bernard, a little jewel. We hiked through gorges and mountain ridges, visited cheese factories, visited every open market in the region, and hung out at the Chateau at Annecy and the old town. Have a lovely trip!

Old May 16th, 2001, 04:54 PM
steve

We stayed at the Hotel Palais de L'Isle. It is right in the heart of the old town area. The rooms were very modern to the point of being almost austere, but the location was great. We had a wonderful meal at the Auberge du Savoie which is just across the canal from the hotel.
Our favorite activity was renting a small motor boat on the lake and spending an afternoon on the beautiful lake.

Old May 16th, 2001, 10:32 PM
kalena

Thanks Steve, I forgot to mention the swimming and boating, windsurfing, and for the truly adventurous, the parapanting.

What a beautiful memory: that gorgeous lake surrounded by mountain peaks and the colorful tableau of sails on the water.

Old May 17th, 2001, 04:21 PM
Pedro

Annecy-Chamonix area is really delightful. The superb beauty of this city and its lake surrounded by rising peaks is unforgettable but close to it you have the opposite to such a relaxing place. Chamonix area is truly awesome anyplace you go there will offer you the most striking views in Europe. Mont Blanc definitely is not only the highest peak in Europe but the most imposing one ( The view from The Montenvers is hard to be beaten! )

Old May 17th, 2001, 11:16 PM
Melissa

Wow! Steve has an almost identical post to mine. I also stayed at the Hotel Palais de L'Isle a couple of years ago, and I enjoyed its modern-ness. I also had a delicious dinner at the Auberge du Savoie. We also visited a cheese shop (go out the hotel and turn right, walk thru the town a bit) and had fondue for dinner...yummy!

Walking through the town was great---the scenery, the shops, all so quaint. I also loved jogging around the lake in the morning. We only spent a couple of days there, and I was really sorry to leave.

Old May 18th, 2001, 07:09 PM
John H

Hi, Linda,

Like you, I am planning a trip to Annecy (in the fall). The hotels I have looked into that are located on the lake are 2 four-star properties in the town of Talloires (5 minutes from Annecy by car is what others have told me):

Les Pres du Lac - http://www.lespresdulac.com

La Cottage Bise - http://www.cottagebise.com/index.html

Another hotel that has been mentioned favorably here is L'Abbaye de Talloires. I believe it overlooks but is not on the lake. Its url is:

http://www.abbaye-talloires.com/gb/elodging.html

If you are going there before September, I'd love it if you could drop me an e-mail or make a posting here re" where you stayed and what you thought of it.

Happy travels,

john