Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is the Best Neighborhood in Munich? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-the-best-neighborhood-in-munich-537077/)

BarbaraJA Jun 15th, 2005 05:02 PM

What is the Best Neighborhood in Munich?

We will be three nights in Munich next May, and are wondering which neighborhood you think is most pleasant, charming, and of quaint "German" flavor? We are also open to staying just outside Munich in a village or town that has a traditional "German" feel. Any ideas? We would like to be near a good public transport spot so we can get in and out of town easily. Thanks for any tips!

chtiet Jun 16th, 2005 06:36 AM

One nice little town about 30mins from Munich on a commuter train is Aying, a small quaint Bavarian town. (Btw, you're going to get the "Bavarian" flavor/feel anywhere in that area, not really the "German" feel...) There is an excellent upscale restaurant associated with the town brewery, and the hotel has been re-done in the recent past and looks very nice. Their site:
http://www.ayinger-bier.de

Random review:
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-travelguid...aying_munich-i

Intrepid1 Jun 16th, 2005 06:52 AM

With the greatest of respect are we dealing with true "tradition" or Western stereotypes? It is about as prettified as it gets in Munich in the area around the Marienplatz; Sendlinger Tor area is probably "too Gay" for a lot of people who post here; Schwabing may be too full of students; Starnberg would afford a great view of the "see" and access to public transport if you could find a hotel; ditto for finding a possible place to stay near the Nymphenburg Palace which is much closer in.

It is a little difficult since I am not sure what YOU would feel is "traditional German" to be quite honest but hopefully you'll get more useful answers from others (and understanding from those who post here and actually live in Munich).

AisleSeat Jun 16th, 2005 09:44 AM

Barbara,
Boy, this is a tough one. Kind of like "which New York neighborhood has that pleasant charming NY flavor?" Munich is a big city.

If you want to see Munich during your three night, stay near the main Train station and enjoy the offerings that Munich has. Enjoy the fussganger zone, have a beer at the Hofbrau Haus and dinner at the Ausugtiner.

If you want Bavarian Village life try Oberammergau or Bretschsgaden.

logos999 Jun 28th, 2005 08:53 AM

>most pleasant, charming, and of quaint "German" flavor?

Avoid downtown, as it is only for tourists and shoppers. There is nothing of interest at the Hofbräuhaus, unless you want to meet more american and japanese tourists.

My top 5 areas are:
- Sendling: nice old buildings, small restaurants and beer gardens, have a walk at the banks of the isar river. Like Schwabing without the touris..

- Heimeranplatz: (- Westend) least expensive area, yet close to downtown. Inexpensive restaurants.

- Lehel: - Wiener Platz, close to downtown, "typical" bavarian flavour

- Rotkreuzplatz:
Some dont like it, but it has all you need. Shops, dining etc. Just "more modern" than the other areas.

- Laim / Nymphenburg

MaureenB Jun 30th, 2005 07:11 PM

If you do a search, you will find many fodorites who like the Hotel Uhland in Munich. We loved our stay there last June. It is in a very nice, upscale, tree-lined neighborhood, very close to the Oktoberfest Park. It's only a 10 minute walk to the train station for day-trips to Salzburg, Fussen, etc.

The Hotel Uhland has free bikes to loan, and you can ride down to the riverside. It's charming. Nice restaurants within walking distance of hotel, too. It is a relatively small B&B that fills up quickly. Very nice desk personnel, and manned 24/7. Great breakfast included in a lovely breakfast room.

BarbaraJA Jul 2nd, 2005 05:21 AM

Thanks Logos999 and MaureenB -
Your comments have been a great help. We have now planned 4 days in Munich so we really see the city, and we have booked a room at the Uhland Hotel. It is perfect as we will take a day trip by train to Salzburg. Thanks again!

MaureenB Jul 4th, 2005 05:28 PM

I think you will love the Hotel Uhland. We stayed there four nights in June 2004. Great breakfast, too. We rode bikes from there down to the river and back one evening, it was wonderful. Enjoy Munich and Salzburg!

BarbaraJA Jul 7th, 2005 04:15 PM

Thanks MaureenB for the additional encouragement. We are really looking forward to the trip - our first to Germany. We are taking German lessons in preparation. I want to be able to say "Ein Glas Wein bitte" or "Ein Glas Bier bitte"! We won't be fluent of course, but would like to speak just enough for the necessities of life! Vielen dank!

MaureenB Jul 7th, 2005 08:38 PM

That's funny-- when we went to Paris last month, I brushed up on my college French and made sure I knew how to order a glass of white wine! My husband studied his German before we went to Munich last year. You'll have a blast. Most people know English, too, so it's easy to get around.