Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is the best mode of transportation to get from Antwerp To Brugge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-the-best-mode-of-transportation-to-get-from-antwerp-to-brugge-1671398/)

Pawleys Sep 3rd, 2019 01:03 PM

What is the best mode of transportation to get from Antwerp To Brugge?

I will be arriving in Antwerp at the end of a river cruise. The cruise only allows one half-day in Bruges, before disembarking in Antwerp. I was thinking about traveling back to Bruge for a couple of nights. Would traveling by train be the best method ? Which website should I look at?

Cowboy1968 Sep 3rd, 2019 01:19 PM

Simple trip by train.
https://www.belgiantrain.be/en
One direct train per hour (usually with destination Oostende).
You can buy your tickets on the website - just choose any trip on the day you want to go.
Tickets are good for the whole day and not restricted to a certain train or time - regardless which time you choose on the website.
No need or possibility to reserve seats. Just show up, and hop on the next train.
Antwerpen central station has elevated and underground platforms. Just follow the signs.. and save a few minutes to admire the station's architecture.

JessicaBr Sep 14th, 2019 02:15 AM

Can't add much more info than what Cowboy1968 said. I love Antwerp train station. And yes, please make sure to look up sometimes, the building is beautiful.
Maybe a fun tip, I am not sure if you are travelling with kids, but the train station is literally next to Antwerp Zoo.

StCirq Sep 14th, 2019 04:07 AM

Do you really want to go back and spend a couple of days in Bruges rather than investigate Antwerp itself and other nearby towns? Sure wouldn't be my choice. given all the alternatives.

deniseoliver86 Sep 14th, 2019 04:28 AM

Visiting Bruges is my next dream trip! I have visited Antwerp when I had a choice of Bruges and Antwerp and did regret it later. Sure, Antwerp is great, and there's loads to see, especially if you like modern architecture and art. But Bruges has this ambiance to it. And I would love to visit it one day.

Pawleys Sep 14th, 2019 08:54 AM

Thanks so much for your replies. It’s the ambience you mentioned that I am hoping to enjoy in Brugge. Our cruise only allows one morning there. I would love the opportunity to wander the streets and dine at a couple of nice places.Is there enough to do and see to spend two nights there. We may add a few more days onto this trip I would love suggestions.

lavandula Sep 14th, 2019 01:29 PM

Yes, there is enough to see for a couple of days but I would also stop in to see Ghent if you liked Bruges. Ghent is more of a living city and less tourist attraction, but still with that medieval flair. Very close by train - in fact, on the way if you are making tracks for Antwerp or Brussels. Yes, do tack on a few days to the end of the trip to see some other Belgian cities, it's worth it.

Lavandula

deniseoliver86 Sep 15th, 2019 01:43 AM

And when you do, pls treat us to a Belgian Trip Report! ;) Excited to read it.

JessicaBr Sep 15th, 2019 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by deniseoliver86 (Post 16986371)
And when you do, pls treat us to a Belgian Trip Report! ;) Excited to read it.

Yes, please do, I would love to hear about your trip!!

Pawleys Sep 15th, 2019 09:51 AM

We have a day and a half in Antwerp with the tour group. We disembark there so will have to deal with our luggage if we don’t stay another night in Antwerp. Might try to store our luggage somewhere then take a late afternoon train to Bruge or Ghent to enjoy the evening there when the crowds might thin out.

lavandula Sep 15th, 2019 12:55 PM

Hi Pawleys, if you are thinking about staying in Antwerp for a night then there is no reason you should not make Antwerp your base. It makes sense rather than moving to Ghent and tussling with your bags more than necessary. However, in some cases you may need to change trains in Brussels. Trains go directly to Ghent and Bruges from there and also directly to Ieper, but for anything to the east you will have to go to Brussels and change. There are also some connections to Bruges through Brussels. But by and large, Belgium is so small that it's no trouble travelling those short distances. An advantage is that if you base in Antwerp or Brussels you can be close-ish to the airport. Distances are not that enormous; it's 2+ hours to Ieper from Antwerp, 1.5 hours to Bruges. Fodors has someone resident in Antwerp who may be able to give some good tips.

Lavandula