Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the best (and cheapest) way to travel across Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 06:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be living in Germany for just 2 months, but while I'm there I'd like to travel and see as much as possible. What would you all recommend to be the cheapest and most efficient way to get around? Any other input you'd like to give (so long as its useful, please) would be great!
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 07:00 PM

I guess I would buy a 2-month eurail pass so I could hop on and off trains at will.

Will you be working during the day, which would limit your traval or are you free to travel as you desire?

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM

Cheapest: hitchhike.
Most efficient: buy a car.
Best: take the train.

It might be "useful" to type Germany in the Search This Forum box above and then click the orange SEARCH button, please.

Old Aug 10th, 2007, 07:01 PM
mjs

The words cheapest and most efficient usually do not belong in the same sentence. Hitch hiking is the cheapest way to go. It also depends on where you want to go. Could be a bus or budget airline.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
the answer TOTALLY depends on where you are going, and how far ahead you can make arrangements.

For some destinations - the train is the only reasonable way to travel. For others - budget airlines are faster, and much cheaper, especially if you book farther ahead. For a few - local/long distance buses do the trick.

There is no one best/cheapest mode of travel.
Old Aug 10th, 2007, 11:47 PM

The cheapest, best, most free and most fun way to see Europe for 2 months or more is in a motorhome.

Here is a great article that gives details ( by a travel agent who has tried many different ways):

http://www.transitionsabroad.com/pub...n_europe.shtml

We have been traveling Europe for the last year via a motorhome and have had a fantastic time on a very low budget ( with lots of luxuries!!).

Take a look at our blog to get an idea of why most middle class Europeans travel this way and how much luxury is involved in a 5 star resort:

http://www.soultravelers3.com/

The Kiwis' and Australians know this secret, but somehow most Americans miss out.

We are in a divine spot in Dubrovnic right now with every nationality except Americans.

We have not made it to Germany yet, but there are tons of Germans who love to motorhome. Check out McRents in Germany.

Have fun!!

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 12:17 AM

Will you have access to a car while you are over there?

My husband & I moved to Germany last year and have really enjoyed taking advantage of Europe's extensive network of very nicely equipped campgrounds. We just throw our tent in the trunk and go. That, along with packing our own food and eating out of grocery stores, has allowed us to really do and see a lot without spending a lot of money.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 12:42 AM

The simple answer is that there is not simple answer.

Depending on factors such as where you want to go, time available, how far in advance you make decisions and where you will be starting from then train, plane or automobile may be the best option at that time - but a similar trip under slightly different circumstances may give a different result

Places to start - www.seat61.com ww.whichbudget.com www.skyscanner.net
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 06:58 AM

Maybe tour Germany only. DW-TV has shown 100s of videos of German sites that I have never seen mentioned here. Bicyle tours, canoe/kayak tours, hiking..special cities. Visit what was Eastern Germany...Michener said get on a local train and take it to the end of the line. Spend the day and return.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 07:11 AM

I subscribe to Transitions Abroad too, although we haven't made the leap (yet). Interesting articles about long term living and cultural issues.

Hello to WTNow, (who we accidentally met on a rooftop in Fez Morocco), glad to see you're still getting around. Can't wait to see Mozart video with an Adriatic view.

I heard there were wildfires near Dubrovnik recently? (local paper, who knows what they get accurate?)