Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is the beach fashion like in Europe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2001, 08:49 AM
Daisy

It has been awhile since either my boyfriend and I have been to Europe. We will be frequenting some beaches there this summer and have heard that beach fashions are different than in North America. Specifically for men, we have heard that "speedos" or tight boxes styles are more prevalent (as opposed to trunks here)....can anybody shed any light on this issue?

Old May 7th, 2001, 10:22 AM
Sjoerd

If your boyfriend has a "perfect" body, yes, he should wear speedos. If not, boxershort-type trunks are fine.

Old May 7th, 2001, 12:57 PM
cindy

I've noticed that bikinis are more popular among women than one piecers and that thongs (even for those with less than perfect behinds) are worn alot....for men, unfortunately the usage of speedos is excessive compared to the physiques....but who cares? wear whatever you want.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 06:02 PM
Mark

I always wear speedos in Europe as they are so much easier to swim in and to pack. I wish they were more popular in the U.S.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:23 AM
BeachQueen

Speedos can be good or bad. The problem with them is 'shrinkage'. Unless you're hung like a mule, it might not look so good. However, when I see a guy who is "packing" in a speedo, it is a nice site to see on the beach.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 07:57 AM
John

Speedos are ridiculed by many in the UK. I would go with shorts.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 08:41 AM
x

Hung like a mule? Sounds like how a mule might think. By the way, it's sight.

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Al Godon

Hey you city slickers -- most mules are sterile. Sure you want that comparison?<BR>

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 12:10 PM
Banana Sling

If he is a real man, he won't care what other people think and will wear what he likes. If he wants quick drying and comfortable go with the Speedo. If he doesn't like showing off what he's got, wear jams. Either way - tell him to keep his held high and have fun.<BR><BR>(Yes I know this was posted over a year ago.)

Old Oct 16th, 2002, 01:44 PM
mpprh

Hi<BR><BR>In m&ugrave;ost of Europe these days................<BR><BR>Town beaches = topless<BR><BR>Out of town beaches = clothes optional<BR><BR>Peter<BR>Languedoc, France<BR>http://tlp.netfirms.com<BR><BR>