Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   What is the average age of a Fodorite? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/what-is-the-average-age-of-a-fodorite-331992/)

Bnice Jun 28th, 2003 04:50 PM

What is the average age of a Fodorite?

I peruse postings and am often amazed and jealous at how often some people are able to travel. I think it may have to do with the age group of participants here. I am 27, how old are you? I'm thinking I may not get too many responses...

Surfergirl Jun 28th, 2003 05:01 PM

Younger than my mother and older than my son . . . !
Seriously, if you're asking for averages, the range is between about 18 and 75, and because I was never very good at math, but pretty good at sorting out tastes for different age groups, I'd guess there's more posters in their late 30's and 40's, because that's about the peak, or almost peak of one's earning level.

LVSue Jun 28th, 2003 05:05 PM

Hi, Bnice! I'm 61 and didn't get to travel till my kids were grown and through college. I also had a reluctant husband, until he took his first trip to Europe.

But I must say it depends on your priorities. Many people (myself included) choose to spend more on travel and less on cars, clothes, furniture, eating out, etc.

Hagan Jun 28th, 2003 05:43 PM

59 here, my husband is 61 and we're still working. We only have limited time off, but for the last 5 years we've been trying to make traveling to far-off places a priority. You never know how long your legs will last!!!!!

mj Jun 28th, 2003 06:07 PM

Bnice,
My SO and I are 55. I travel to Europe ~10x/yr for business. We take
leisure trips (1-3x/yr) to Europe for "road trips" and family get togethers.

Re: your jealous feelings.
If you love to travel, set your priorities and, in the words of a large sneaker company, 'just do it' :)
--

cmt Jun 28th, 2003 06:13 PM

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...mp;tid=1314187

bobthenavigator Jun 28th, 2003 06:14 PM

I think the age range is very wide on this forum. Sure, there are many retired people like me who now have the time and means to travel, but I also see a large group of 30 somethings eager and able to travel to Europe at least once per year. The Fodors addiction has more to do with the passion than the age--once you get the bug it is hard to shake it.

Beatchick Jun 28th, 2003 06:16 PM

I'm 35.

playlad Jun 28th, 2003 06:20 PM

Bnice - 2nd attempt to post..I'm 37 but have travelled lots and lived in 8 different countries
( more than one year ) but then I had burning desire to do it..NOT everyones "cuppa." Still, 27 is good age to start seeing the world - have fun - Theres always an excuse to not travel or live somewhere else.."the money/the comfort zone" but after I did it I felt my horizons had broadend and I got to see and feel how people in other countries lived..LOVE IT feel compelled to thank my dad for passing on the adventurous spirit - you NEVER regret travelling EVER

prue Jun 28th, 2003 06:25 PM

I am 62 and live in rural Australia. Have been lucky enough to travel quite extensively, however, the problem is that we are so far from anywhere before we start!

Rich Jun 28th, 2003 06:27 PM

Well . . I suppose my agerage age is 31.5

Rich

rq10463 Jun 28th, 2003 06:46 PM

HI! I'm 35 years old and the whole time I was growing up I never left New England (lived in Boston) - although, I must say, its not a bad place to be...Anyway, I always wanted to go and see the places I read about, saw movies about, studied in school, but can only now afford it. My children decided this summer to travel rather than go to camp (I'll see if I'm still pleased about that by the end of the summer -ha). But I have friends who buy a new carpet or sofa instead of taking a trip. To each his own, but I'll take the experience of travel any day.

jody Jun 28th, 2003 07:26 PM

64 coming up to 65!

Geez Beatchick I didn't know you were a real chick!!

jevoyage Jun 28th, 2003 07:37 PM

I'm now 52, and started traveling internationaly when I married at 32. We went to Spain on our honeymoon (stated with friends and celebrated the death of Franco), and celebrated our 20th anniversary in Paris a "few" years ago. Now traveling in Asia as often as Europe.

Sally Jun 28th, 2003 08:01 PM

My husband and I are 59. In my high school annual my ambition (stated under my picture) was " I want to travel to Europe."

I worked for a year after college graduation to earn the money and then spent the summer travelling with Europe on $5 a Day!

Then no more trips until the youngest of our five children started college nine years ago. Since then we have travelled in Europe one or two times a year.

rhkkmk Jun 28th, 2003 08:45 PM

susanna Jun 28th, 2003 08:57 PM

I'm 29 and I have been for 20 years....I took my first trip to Italy at 40 and have been hooked on travel ever since...we usually go abroad twice a year now. If we would have had kids to put through school I'm sure our adventures would have started later.

Melnq8 Jun 28th, 2003 09:07 PM

I'm 42 and my hubby is 45. We made our first trip to Europe 10 years ago. Since then, we've lived in two Middle Eastern countries (working for an oil company) and have travelled extensively.

As American expats living in a hardship area, our company pays for one trip home a year, and a one week long R&R.

Instead of going directly home (US), we apply those funds to around-the-world tickets, and spend most of our vacation time outside of the US.

It's considerably easier and faster to get to Europe from the Middle East, so we usually spend our R&R there.

We don't have kids, which helps the travel budget considerably.

Iregeo Jun 28th, 2003 11:18 PM

What a great question! I'm 41. my husband is 42. My son is 11 and we all hope to see the whole world in our lifetime!

Mucky Jun 28th, 2003 11:39 PM

I am 40, Limited budget with wife aged 40 and 2 children 15 and 12. Try to get somewhere every year (Australia this year). Now the kids are growing up, we will sometime in the future pursue our travels alone.
The reason...my mother hated travel and as kids we never went anywhere, I vowed that would change

Good Luck

Mucky (Wales UK)